FYI - OCSO Running Radar in Parking Lots

RayTheFirefly

I've heard a rumor that there was a specific incident inside a parking lot that led to this current enforcement.

I feel its only right to warn the Cast and Guests that heightened enforcement appears to be going on, to remind people to be aware of their speed and obey the speed limits on property.
BTW, thanks for the heads up!

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Some quick use of Google also led me to this FL AG Advisory Op:
http://www.myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/D50E0A2B15E78EDC8525657200538F2B

Supports what @PhotoDave219 said earlier.

To the point of the posting: agree with Ray, thanks for the heads up. It's appreciated!

I was looking for that… Thanks. I should bookmark that.

Anyways, as someone easily pointed out earlier, the best way not to get a ticket is just don't speed. It took me until my mid 30s to figure that one out…

Goofyernmost

Dave, thanks for the info and I'm 620 miles away from there, but, the advice holds true. No speeding... No issue! I don't think it could get any simpler, could it?

Oh, and for those that still firmly believe that they have no jurisdiction there, tell you what, don't pay the fine and skip a court appearance or two and find out what jurisdiction applies. Also, if you are a CM, you can bet that the HR department will be notified of any violation that is issued. Freedom is sometimes very loosely defined. You are not free to do anything you please and not have consequences or yell FIRE in a crowded theater.

Lance

Yeah thanks for the heads up, I know coming out of the AAA diamond lot at MK... I turn on the after burners down that exit stretch that runs parallel to World Dr.

I'll have my eyes open in a few weeks, thanks.

s8film40

I have always wanted to see someone challenge this (won't be me) on the basis of who sets the speed limits. As the law says basically if the private road is open to the public or more specifically in WDW's case if the private road is restricted but there's a written agreement to allow it Florida laws can be enforced on the private property. But who sets the speed limit? Does the government agency patrolling set it, and if so do they have the authority to set speed limits on private property. If the land owner is setting the speed limit would this be considered a legally binding speed limit as far as traffic tickets are concerned.

Also it should be noted that with the exception of parking lots, some service roads and some of the roadways near MK the roadways throughout WDW are not owned by Disney and are public roads.

danv3

I have always wanted to see someone challenge this (won't be me) on the basis of who sets the speed limits. As the law says basically if the private road is open to the public or more specifically in WDW's case if the private road is restricted but there's a written agreement to allow it Florida laws can be enforced on the private property. But who sets the speed limit? Does the government agency patrolling set it, and if so do they have the authority to set speed limits on private property. If the land owner is setting the speed limit would this be considered a legally binding speed limit as far as traffic tickets are concerned

This is my question too. Is a "speed limit" in a parking lot on private property actually a speed limit that can be enforced by the power of criminal law?

As already established, there's no doubt Reedy Creek can contract with Orange County for law enforcement on Reedy Creek's streets and roads. As to a parking lot it seems less clear to me.

I won't be the one testing it though.

s8film40

This is my question too. Is a "speed limit" in a parking lot on private property actually a speed limit that can be enforced by the power of criminal law?

As already established, there's no doubt Reedy Creek can contract with Orange County for law enforcement on Reedy Creek's streets and roads. As to a parking lot it seems less clear to me.

I won't be the one testing it though.
Actually Reedy Creek doesn't have to contract with law enforcement for their roads. Since Reedy Creek roads are publicly owned roads all traffic laws apply and can be enforced even without their permission. Also Reedy Creek sets the speed limits on their roads and since they are a public government I think that gives them the authority to set those speed limits. Once however you leave the Reedy Creek Roads and enter WDW owned property, this to me is where I am curios about.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The laws are usually written as POSTED limit.

But lawyers argue over signage all the time.

I think is room when talking about a surface lot vs a road as well.

Id have my traffic lawyer fight :)

WDWResort

Normally I'd agree with this, but have you tried doing 20 or 25 mph on the roads? You feel like you could get out and walk faster than that. Its excruciating!

I fixed this nuisance by just staying on cruise control a little above 25, almost 30. I save gas and I'm off their radar. After all, we're all going to the same place to stand in the same lines. I've found with patience, I usually end up closer to the trams and those who rush end up at the farthest end.

G00fyDad

I fixed this nuisance by just staying on cruise control a little above 25, almost 30. I save gas and I'm off their radar. After all, we're all going to the same place to stand in the same lines. I've found with patience, I usually end up closer to the trams and those who rush end up at the farthest end.

I get that. I am just speaking about going 20 to 25 mph in general. Its maddening. Almost feels like I am crawling. Not that I am a speed demon or anything, but that is just too slow unless you're in a school zone, or in a crowded area. Local access roads should never be that slow.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

For those that lived through the gasoline embargo of the 70's, we know excruciating! Try the entire interstate system in the country with a speed limit of 55 mph (enforced). I drove from Vermont to Florida while that still existed. It's a wonder we didn't all fall asleep at the wheel. I believe many did!o_O:grumpy:

71jason

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Not surprising. I was nearly run over once walking to my car in the DAK cast parking lot (which I know isn't what they're currently patrolling, but still).

They are also ALWAYS hiding out on Western Way, oftentimes multiple patrol cars. This is a road where I would estimate that 90% of the vehicle traffic is cast members. Draw your own conclusions.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Not surprising. I was nearly run over once walking to my car in the DAK cast parking lot (which I know isn't what they're currently patrolling, but still).

And for those wondering..... THATS WHY.

And yesterday was the DAK lot from what I was told

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom