Fx Shōgun

BrianLo

Original Poster
Figured this one deserves its own thread. A lot of buzz on this limited series and positive reviews starting to come out. It's actually one of the oldest streaming announcements I believe. Shōgun, Murders in the Building and an Alien series were the 'flashy' D23 2019 streaming showcase announcements for "Hulu" at the time. I can't find that title card easily they had on screen during the keynote.

I'm seeing a fairly concerted advertising effort for it as well. Saw adverts in LAX back in December. Billboards up in Auckland earlier this month. Apparently the strongest buzz FX has ever seen for streaming.

Starts streaming February 27th. Will be on Hulu in US.

More importantly Disney+ Internationally and filmed in BC. ;)

Shōgun - Official Trailer | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai | FX

The Mom

Premium Member
Figured this one deserves its own thread. A lot of buzz on this limited series and positive reviews starting to come out. It's actually one of the oldest streaming announcements I believe. Shōgun, Murders in the Building and an Alien series were the 'flashy' D23 2019 streaming showcase announcements for "Hulu" at the time. I can't find that title card easily they had on screen during the keynote.

I'm seeing a fairly concerted advertising effort for it as well. Saw adverts in LAX back in December. Billboards up in Auckland earlier this month. Apparently the strongest buzz FX has ever seen for streaming.

Starts streaming February 27th. Will be on Hulu in US.

More importantly Disney+ Internationally and filmed in BC. ;)

Shōgun - Official Trailer | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai | FX
I read the book, watched the original series, and look forward to the newest version.

Unlike the 1980 series, it is being filmed in BC because they couldn't find enough undeveloped land to do it in Japan!

Willmark

This in one of my favorite novels and loved the mini series back in the day.

Trailers look good but I'm bracing myself for it to be not so good. We'll see what happens.

Willmark

First episode down. I'll likely watch episode 2 in a day or so.

Very well done and impressed thus far. I approach this from my second favorite book of all time as well a fan of the original mini series.

I'm of split mind on the sub titles. One of the strengths of the original mini series was the fact that there weren't any. The audience only knew what Blackthorne knew. I think that added a lot to it.

In all looking forward to episode 2.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Hiroyuki Sanada, star and producer of FX‘s limited series Shōgun, has closed a deal to return as Lord Yoshii Toranaga, sources tell Deadline. Securing Sanada, whose character’s journey to become shōgun and lead Japan to an era of peace was chronicled in the 10-episode adaptation of James Clavell’s novel, has been considered crucial to any plan to extend Shogun beyond its original installment.

Other elements are still being worked out and deals are being finalized as part of an effort by FX to take Shogun to a second season in light of the big commercial and critical success of the limited series. The outcome of the effort would determine whether Shōgun would be considered a limited or drama series going forward, which could have major ramifications on the 2024 Emmy race, with the timing of the decision tied to the deadline for Emmy submissions."

More below.

Willmark

I enjoyed immensely the divergence from the story and the moving of scenes from the book. Particularly in the last episode it worked well. They captured the book very well and made a great series.

All that said, I’m hopeful for another season but leerly. A second season will be after the book and they will be creating it on their own. Granted they can use history as a guide as he ushers in the start of the Tokugawa period but I’ll leave it at that exact to say the final two seasons of Game of Thrones and Season 3 of Mando?

Let’s just say I’m not expecting anything and hope to be pleasantly surprised

Tha Realest

"Hiroyuki Sanada, star and producer of FX‘s limited series Shōgun, has closed a deal to return as Lord Yoshii Toranaga, sources tell Deadline. Securing Sanada, whose character’s journey to become shōgun and lead Japan to an era of peace was chronicled in the 10-episode adaptation of James Clavell’s novel, has been considered crucial to any plan to extend Shogun beyond its original installment.

Other elements are still being worked out and deals are being finalized as part of an effort by FX to take Shogun to a second season in light of the big commercial and critical success of the limited series. The outcome of the effort would determine whether Shōgun would be considered a limited or drama series going forward, which could have major ramifications on the 2024 Emmy race, with the timing of the decision tied to the deadline for Emmy submissions."

More below.

I am so happy for Sanada. He has a mesmerizing presence on camera and am glad he has a producer credit on this.

Robbiem

Rather than a straightforward sequel I’d love to see more of James Clavell’s asian saga given this treatment.

Chronologically Tai Pan is the next novel and would make a great series, it only had a B movie adaptation previously but could be fantastic if it was made in the same way

DCBaker

Premium Member
Not one, but two more seasons of Shōgun are apparently in development at FX/Hulu.

"It’s official: FX and Hulu are prepping not one but two more seasons of breakout drama Shōgun.

The Disney-owned network said Thursday that it is teaming with the estate of author James Clavell to extend Shōgun for two additional seasons. The company noted that both seasons are in development, meaning that a two-season renewal depends on how the creative comes in.

A writers room is being assembled to explore a continuation of Shōgun beyond Clavell’s original novel. Shōgun’s creatives, including co-creators, exec producers and writers Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo, exec producer Michaela Clavell as well as star and producer Hiroyuki Sanada are all involved with the development."

More at the link below.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom