Future World Rehab

longfamily

On our last two visits to Epcot, I fell asleep in UOE. :snore:
We were really annoyed with the current pre-show and Ellen/Bill throughout the attraction. It would be nice to see a different film.
Also, It seems as though Epcot is truely moving away from the original intention of education. It may be that this particular presentation has finally overstayed it's welcome. With the addition of Dinorama and the dinosaur attraction at AK, the need for the continuation of another dinosaur ride seems moot. And, even though UOE is not really about dinosaurs, the dinosuars are the main reason why many people visit this particular attraction.
It would be really fun to give UOE an upgrade/facelift instead of switching it out for something different. A fun way to do this would be to include innovative and futuristic sources of fuel and energy. This could be done with the ride being changed to something like the Great Movie Ride and ending in an interactive playground of sorts. Not only would this keep the pavillion true to the original intention of Epcot, but would also be a nice addition to the 25th anniversery.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
If Energy goes down, the ride as we know it will go away. The vehicles were being worked on to transition to a digital guidence system (if you don't know how Energy works, there's a search feature here or you can order the old Popular Mechanics with it on the cover) and Imagineering came in one day and said "Stop." Vehicle 13, the test vehicle, was abandoned as well as any work on the project to make the vehicles and ride system useable or more reliable.

General Grizz

mousermerf said:
If Energy goes down, the ride as we know it will go away. The vehicles were being worked on to transition to a digital guidence system (if you don't know how Energy works, there's a search feature here or you can order the old Popular Mechanics with it on the cover) and Imagineering came in one day and said "Stop." Vehicle 13, the test vehicle, was abandoned as well as any work on the project to make the vehicles and ride system useable or more reliable.
Wow.

mrtoad

hakunamatata said:
Just because its a big builing does not mean they will put anything in it anywhere near the scale of whats in there now, or that would fill up the building. Remember, JII has a whole second floor sitting unused.

Second, without a sponser, it is very unlikely that a rehab would be done to the current attraction.

There is a whole lot of nothing on the first floor too.. :lol:

mrtoad

I like this attraction but have not been in it since 2000. My daughter does not like the look of the building for some reason and won't go in. We are going this week and will try one more time just in case...

General Grizz

steviej said:
I don't get it, is it a joke or something, not being sarcastic either
Nope... I loved Imagination and Horizons (still favorites), The Land was brand new then, UoE was getting a new show, a new ride coming into World of Motion... I really liked the feel.

1996 was also the best year at the Magic Kingdom.

General Grizz

mrtoad said:
I like this attraction but have not been in it since 2000. My daughter does not like the look of the building for some reason and won't go in. We are going this week and will try one more time just in case...
Aw... I hope she chooses to visit. I mean, it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I find the show VERY entertaining and VERY informative.

With today's fuel crisis (OUCH...), it should spark interest to many.

mrtoad

General Grizz said:
Aw... I hope she chooses to visit. I mean, it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I find the show VERY entertaining and VERY informative.

I am hopeful she will. I think she would enjoy the ride portion. She likes dinosaurs but is afraid of them a bit. I don't want to tell her they are in there or she might not go in. Yet I really believe if she did she would enjoy it.

On her first trip at 3 she was not afraid of anything we did. The past trip just after she turned 4 she was afraid of everything. She refused to go in Space Ship Earth after loving it the time before, she refused to do the Haunted Mansion after at least 4 trips the year before. I think she did not know to be scared at 3.

Right now, we are trying to teach her between pretend and real so she won't be scared. The one we have been stressing most is the bats on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. She loved the ride but would not go back on because of the bats last time. Now she says she will go on. We ask her are the bats real or pretend, she says pretend. I say what are they, she says Christmas lights. We will see if she follows through in 3 days time... :)

mrtoad

General Grizz said:

Almost forgot to reply to that part. The fuel prices being so bad I have looked into trading in my 2 year old minivan only to find out that it is worth nothing as nobody wants a gas hog. It is not even that bad on gas (low 20s) but still nobody wants a big vehicle now. I want a hybrid, I am so sick of the gas prices it well makes me sick...

General Grizz

mrtoad said:
Almost forgot to reply to that part. The fuel prices being so bad I have looked into trading in my 2 year old minivan only to find out that it is worth nothing as nobody wants a gas hog. It is not even that bad on gas (low 20s) but still nobody wants a big vehicle now. I want a hybrid, I am so sick of the gas prices it well makes me sick...
Yep... all over the news. "The alternatives?" Let's go listen to Bill Nye and Ellen.

"Let's just pick another category..."

mrtoad

General Grizz said:
Yep... all over the news. "The alternatives?" Let's go listen to Bill Nye and Ellen.

"Let's just pick another category..."

We need the 2nd generation Flux Capacitor, the one that runs on things banana peels and such...

EchoOfOphelia

I hate to say it, but I think Universe of Energy would benefit from some kind of rehab. They tried to do it with the Ellen and Bill Nye thing, but its basically just a really long video and then the dinosaur ride is sort of "tacked on," as if saying, "well its there, we might as well have people go through it. We'll just add some sound clips and an Ellen AA and call it a day."

I loved this ride as a kid, but as an adult, I go on it once each trip, not because I enjoy it, but because its tradition.

polarboi

longfamily said:
And, even though UOE is not really about dinosaurs, the dinosuars are the main reason why many people visit this particular attraction.

True... although personally, I go just for Ellen and the comedy. To me, UoE is a hoot! It remains one of my favorite WDW attractions. :)

The dinosaurs were there before Ellen, of course, but IMHO, that version of the attraction was :snore:...

When Ellen was in the midst of all the controversy some years back, I got worried that they'd kick her out of UoE, but now that she's more popular than ever (Finding Nemo, her daytime show, etc.) I keep hoping that they'll keep her around at least a little bit longer. I know things have to change eventually, but with all the work to be done in Epcot, I hope drastic UoE changes are still quite a bit down the road!

But if they are going to change the attraction at some point, I hope someone at least breaks the rules and videotapes "Ellen's dream" first! ;) I'm normally a dogmatic rule follower, but I would really hate to be without a regular dose of UoE w/ Ellen... the withdrawal could be bad!

-p.b.

Huge Dreamer

mrtoad said:
I want a hybrid, I am so sick of the gas prices it well makes me sick...

As nice as hybrids are they are still expensive so you wont save any money and as high as gas prices are it is still the cheapest fuel source out there.

joshwill

Tho I find ellen to be annoying in most everything she does, I too like her in uoe and would miss it if she was removed. Bill nye I could do without, he always seems to be trying too hard.

I waould also miss kramer's cameo in the film. It always makes me chortle :)

mrtoad

Huge Dreamer said:
As nice as hybrids are they are still expensive so you wont save any money and as high as gas prices are it is still the cheapest fuel source out there.

Yes, they are expensive but if you keep your car long term it does pay off.

Biff215

Personally I have never been much of a fan of UoE, as to me it is an attraction that you can visit once and then never again. In fact, the last time or two I actually rode it, I found myself sound asleep through most of it, which is an accomplishment in itself considering those uncomfortable seats. :snore:

I know in the past there were plenty of rumors concerning a Monsters Inc. retheme, keeping energy as the basis for the pavillion. I'm interested to see how DCA's Monsters ride comes out before I would get too excited about this idea however. But this might be the only way to prevent a complete overhaul that was mentioned above.

I think Ellen's recent successes could keep this attaction open in its current form longer than would have been expected a few years ago.

-Brian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom