Future of Pirate and Princess parties?

tirian

From the attendance figures I've seen of winter 07, and these rumblings of more investment: sounds like Disney is now just being stubborn.

Read all the marketing material "back by popular demand", "it was so popular, we are bringing it back for an encore". But this is a total lie. Numbers were horrible (although, admittedly, its awesome for guests!).

Yes, the pyrotechnics were amazing, yes there was obviously a lot of effort put into the parade, but why does Disney PR have to lie.

I mean, really, we can see through it.

CORRECT.

The original P&P Party bombed. There was no demand for an encore. This is unfortunate, because both the parade and the fireworks were well done. (But the fireworks show almost wasn't finished in time for the first party!) The fact is, the P&P parties were basically diluted MNSSHP without all the candy.

Anyway, the first test was anything but a success. They practically gave away tickets to CMs (heavy discounts) to make the numbers decent.

I was just as surprised to see this event returning as I was to see the YoMD extended (although that has been significantly re-organized).

If you get an opportunity to attend a P&P party, go. It's not MVMCP, but it's a lot of fun!

Ringo8n24

We were very disappointed in the Pirate/Princess party. The parade and fireworks were great, but the whole scheme did not fit well. It seemed like there could have been more creativity. I did not understand the breakdancing thing going on...is that pirate or princess themed? It was fun, but not what we expected. My little one was over it half way through it. The whole party did not keep her attention it seemed because she was thinking "pirates and princesses plus a party", but we ended up stepping into a scene from Electric Boogaloo.

Brian Noble

To be fair, the Winter '08 strategy is much more focused. So far, about half as many dates, and several Saturdays---reducing supply for what demand there is, and making it even easier for locals (who are likely the most jaded about the "regular" MK) to attend, hopefully increasing demand further.

On paper, the party certainly has promise; a "special" night in the MK, built around proven themes. But, last year there were just too many dates and not enough people. I'm surprised this isn't how they approached the party in the first year, but perhaps the success of MVMCP and MNSSHP had added a distinctly rose tint to the view...

I'm actually a little disappointed that there isn't a party while I'm there in '08; last year I was annoyed that there were two during my week, because it made both of those evenings too early to be our "night time" choice without committing to the party.

lightboy

One of the reason's why this event did so well (or rather, appeared to do so well), was that it wasn't sold out every single night like MVMCP or MNSSHP...all lines were minimal and you had the park to yourself. Who doesn't like that?

Look at what you gain from event admission...you don't gain Dream Along With Mickey, because you can see that during the day...even though they advertise that as a perk. You don't gain too many extra meet n greets with our favorite princesses...you get that during the day too (minus Pocahontas...who is out...)

You get break dancers in Tomorrowland (yes, I know..huh??)...you get the Royal Guard Recruitment in Adventureland (just another Woodys/Pirate Tutorial type show)...and a couple DJs.

Fireworks...are awesome.
Parade...yawn...put me to sleep.

And I'll stick by what I've said about this event all along. It is their answer to the invention of getting TWO admissions per day instead of ONE. That is what hard ticket events do...

Nemo14

We loved the P&P party last February. For half the price of a 1 day ticket, we were able to ride everything we wanted to do in the MK, and see a fantastic fireworks display and a great parade. As my daughter said, "Free chocolate and no lines - what could be better!"

nibblesandbits

One of the reason's why this event did so well (or rather, appeared to do so well), was that it wasn't sold out every single night like MVMCP or MNSSHP...all lines were minimal and you had the park to yourself. Who doesn't like that?

Look at what you gain from event admission...you don't gain Dream Along With Mickey, because you can see that during the day...even though they advertise that as a perk. You don't gain too many extra meet n greets with our favorite princesses...you get that during the day too (minus Pocahontas...who is out...)

You get break dancers in Tomorrowland (yes, I know..huh??)...you get the Royal Guard Recruitment in Adventureland (just another Woodys/Pirate Tutorial type show)...and a couple DJs.

Fireworks...are awesome.
Parade...yawn...put me to sleep.

And I'll stick by what I've said about this event all along. It is their answer to the invention of getting TWO admissions per day instead of ONE. That is what hard ticket events do...
Yes...but if you're smart...you only buy the ticket to the party for that day. You can get into the parks starting at 4 (I believe it's 4. At least it is for the Halloween and Christmas Parties) and essentially get around 8 hours of the park for half the price. That's what I did for the Halloween party this year.

happymom52003

Original Poster
To be fair, the Winter '08 strategy is much more focused. So far, about half as many dates, and several Saturdays---reducing supply for what demand there is, and making it even easier for locals (who are likely the most jaded about the "regular" MK) to attend, hopefully increasing demand further.quote]

Do you have inside info that they are planning 2008 dates for sure? I know there are some 7:00 closings in Jan and Feb which point to a high possibility that those are dates for parties. Is this what you are going by, or do you know something? I am on the edge of my seat waiting for an official announcement! There is one 7:00 closing during our trip (Jan. 21) and I have planned my adrs and itenerary as if there is a party that night. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Brian Noble

No inside info, but I'd bet a mickeybar that those 7PM closes mean Party nights. I can't recall the last time the MK closed earlier than 8---especially on a Saturday, without some hard-ticket event that night.

I suppose they could be changed around---the hours seem to have been more in flux than usual recently---but it sure looks like that's the plan.

WDWFigment

Yes...but if you're smart...you only buy the ticket to the party for that day. You can get into the parks starting at 4 (I believe it's 4. At least it is for the Halloween and Christmas Parties) and essentially get around 8 hours of the park for half the price. That's what I did for the Halloween party this year.

Can anyone verify that they've been able to get in at 4pm (or that this is the 'official' entry time) I've been thinking about making ADRs for that day, and I don't know what time is the earliest I can make them for. Thanks!

sillykid

This is the best hard ticket event I've been to. We had such a great time, and we are a married couple w/o kids. Great fireworks, lots of rides. Rocks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom