Fun on Space Mountain (and your iPod)!

ConnerLives

Original Poster
Hey,

If you happen to take an iPod inside Magic Kingdom, be sure to take along a file of Michael Giacchino's score to DL's Space Mountain with you. As soon as you reach the top of the climb, cue the music AFTER the countdown! It will give you an awesome idea of how Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain will sound like after the rumored rehab! MK's ride takes just about the same time to go down as DL's, and the music matches it all the way to reentry. Try it, it's like having fun wuth science!:hammer: :cool:

Rosenrot

Just the thought of playing anything random on your way back down is definitely an interesting - and terribly tantilizing, I must add - thought xP It's hard to tell what you can discover that matches it well...

...*begins thinking about possible Oopmh! songs...*

:animwink:

Rob562

Hey,

If you happen to take an iPod inside Magic Kingdom, be sure to take along a file of Michael Giacchino's score to DL's Space Mountain with you. As soon as you reach the top of the climb, cue the music AFTER the countdown! It will give you an awesome idea of how Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain will sound like after the rumored rehab! MK's ride takes just about the same time to go down as DL's, and the music matches it all the way to reentry. Try it, it's like having fun wuth science!:hammer: :cool:

I only had a chance to try it out once on my last trip, but I played the original Space Mountain Paris version when I rode. Being the Disney Geek that I am, though, I took it a step farther: I cut up the music into smaller pieces, created musical loops for "hold points", and created a hand-held version of what Paris' SM does. It was a little crude as I only used Windows Sound Recorder, but it worked OK. (I also learned beforehand that on my non-iPod MP3 player, it goes to the next track more smoothly if you play the entire playlist before the ride so it's already in its memory)

The music starts around dispatch and continues until the hold spot before the blue tunnel. There's a short section that loops (not my favorite spot in my experiment, I'd rather have the violins hold the final note, but I was limited in what I had), and then when the train releases into the blue tunnel I hit "next track", which kicks it to the next section of music. Then there's a looping section to get you to the top of the lift (this is the one piece I want to redo, it's not pasted together very well),then on to the next track as you crest the lift. This point matches up with the music where Paris' version launches out of the cannon.
THe part of the score where the second lifthill is in Paris would be great if it matched up with the lifthill fly-by in Florida, but unfortunately it doesn't. The final jump is when the train enters the red re-entry tunnel, I jump ahead to the "triumphant" part at the end.

If I had better software I could probably do the loops better, and a real on-board computer would be able to do the musical transitions better than just "next track". But overall it sounded pretty good.

(Side note, I always thought that "Adventures on Earth" from E.T. would work well on Space Mountain, too, and apparently the original Paris SM theme was inspired by that theme...)

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You guys not seen my WDW vid with the source DLC audio overlaid?

MouseBits has it.

Rob - I never thought it, but Adventures on Earth and SM:M1 are very similar. Both beautiful pieces :)

rainfully

I saw it. It rocks.:sohappy:

(Actually I love any video I can get without having to deal with that torrent nonsense that I don't understand.:lol:)

True dat!

This whole thread Kinda reminds me of the Dark Side of the Moon/ Wizard of Oz thing... :lol:

Rob562

I love the DLP music!
Where do you get hold of these tracks?

I think I have it from one of my CDs, but Sound of Magic has it, too:

www.soundofmagic.com

The Space Mountain track is in there in the Discoveryland section. They also have a live recording in there, too, of the exact pre-launch hold looping that I described, from when the train was sitting at hold for an extended time waiting for launch.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom