Fully Immersive Lands...Are They Played Out Already?

Mickeyboof

Uhhh… Okay.
There are two rides dedicated to one IP, and the land itself and the things to eat and shop in it are attractions.

Shops are not attractions. I ain’t paying $200 after already paying my admission to see lightsabers- SORRY- scrap metal being popped together.

No, no no no no no no.

po1998

Today, tomorrow, and every day going forward...more attractions, less immersiveness(if that's even a word, lol).

bryanfze55

New Orleans Square has:
Pirates, Disneyland Railroad, Haunted Mansion and Rafts to Tom Swayers Island and one could argue then than Ton Sawyer's Island itself should count as part of New Orleans Square. Of course the Railroad is unique as it counts for four different lands and goes around the entire park, but still you get the idea.

So four, possibly five attractions can definitely qualify as a land and it also used to have the Keel Boats until they were closed.

Tom Sawyer Island (and by extension, its rafts) are technically part of Frontierland. In practice, Frontierland, Critter Country and New Orleans Square blend together so well that it almost feels like one land. By attraction listing, though, NOS has 3 attractions. I wasn’t counting the Railroad for obvious reasons, but it can be counted. In that case, does an area automatically go from “nothing” to “full blown land” when it goes from two to three attractions? Seems a bit arbitrary and ignores quality. Paradise Gardens Park in DCA has like five rides, but they probably do more to detract more from the immersion and atmosphere of the park.

bryanfze55

I will add that shopping is not an attraction, no matter how you spin it. Build-a-droid and build-a-saber can be called experiences, but attractions should be covered via park entry and not cost extra (except for the Frontierland Shootin’ Arcade, which is the low-key GOAT).

However, exquisite theming and immersion can be considered an attraction in and of itself, I think.

Mickeyboof

New Orleans is a land that benifits from being at an intersection. It’s a masterclass in building a non-confined land, allowing time to breathe through it as we travel from the lost Frointer to a bustling New Orleans.

New Orleans has two flagship attractions, but one can spend a solid hour eating at Cafe Orleans, watching the ships pass by. One can freely weave through the shops, notching the stories woven into the wood and crystal, listening to voices from the windows above.

The railroad is a fantastic auxiliary experience as well.

The land adapts to time of day, with bands sparkling the pavement during the afternoon all the way to igniting the night with Fantasmic.

Does Galaxy’s Edge do any of that? It is not a dynamic land that ebbs and flows.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

New Orleans is a land that benifits from being at an intersection. It’s a masterclass in building a non-confined land, allowing time to breathe through it as we travel from the lost Frointer to a bustling New Orleans.

New Orleans has two flagship attractions, but one can spend a solid hour eating at Cafe Orleans, watching the ships pass by. One can freely weave through the shops, notching the stories woven into the wood and crystal, listening to voices from the windows above.

The land adapts to time of day, with bands sparkling the pavement during the afternoon all the way to igniting the night with Fantasmic.

Does Galaxy’s Edge do any of that? It is not a dynamic land that ebbs and flows.

I absolutely agree with all of that, and it’s my favorite land. But ride count was the question at hand. I was simply pointing out that saying a land with two rides “isn’t a land” is clearly an emotional argument rather than a logical one. Star Wars Land absolutely lacks kinetic energy, but that wasn’t identified as the reason it “isn’t a land.” In any case, I think we can all agree the land should be better.

JoeCamel

My question is if Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade are lands in your opinion. Up until this year there were two and three attractions in each with plenty of shopping and dining. Now Hogsmeade has four and Diagon is still two plus a short show.

Mickeyboof

My question is if Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade are lands in your opinion. Up until this year there were two and three attractions in each with plenty of shopping and dining. Now Hogsmeade has four and Diagon is still two plus a short show.

Oh, I am not really invested in the argument if Galaxy’s Edge is a land or not. I think it is, so there’s that.

I just didn’t want people to look at New Orleans Square like it had equal offerings as Galaxy’s Edge, when NOS is vastly superior.

rct247

I have generally loved each of these highly immersive lands, but what's wrong with them is that they are usually based on one IP. What happens when these IPs get too old. Will they have the staying power?

Tomorrowland 1994 was a highly immersive land with the freedom to still swap out attractions that could easily play into an overarching theme. How does that work with Carsland for instance?

To look into the future, I point to what happened with DCA's Tower of Terror. That is a highly immersive attraction, that had to be completely reimagined. Some may argue it was a success while others will disagree. Could that also happen to Pandora?

Star Wars, Toy Story, Harry Potter are all IPs that have staying power though. Classics that are old can still be relevant (see Seven Dwarfs Mine Train). When they aren't is can get tricky.

I'd rather just have an overarching theme with attractions that can be swapped out. Those attractions can be super immersive, but there's more freedom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom