Fully Immersive Lands...Are They Played Out Already?

Sundown

Original Poster
So, Star Wars land aka Galaxy's Edge has been getting criticism for being somewhat "meh", lacking a music soundtrack, lacking a recognized SW environment, etc.

Harry Potter's areas at Universal are terrific. But the movies profiled the areas pretty well, Hogwarts and Diagon Alley.

Pandora is done very well, IMO.

But...looking at the proposed plans for Universal's Epic Adventures...it just seem like too much fully immersive environments to me.

Are rides being sacrificed to develop immersive lands? Or said another way, could a ride have more attention, development, funding, etc. if a land didn't also need the funds, time, development, etc?

And...do you think these fully immersive lands are feeling a bit "played out"? Believe me, I love the creativity involved with making immersive lands. But...I don't know...they sometimes don't feel like they are designed for "theme park attendee to have fun", vs. putting you in to a "realistic experience"...regardless of whether it's really fun or not.

Moka

I’m actually not sure I have an opinion on this but this seems like it’s gonna be an interesting conversation so I’m gonna watch this thread.

Bob Harlem

So, Star Wars land aka Galaxy's Edge has been getting criticism for being somewhat "meh", lacking a music soundtrack, lacking a recognized SW environment, etc.

Harry Potter's areas at Universal are terrific. But the movies profiled the areas pretty well, Hogwarts and Diagon Alley.

Pandora is done very well, IMO.

But...looking at the proposed plans for Universal's Epic Adventures...it just seem like too much fully immersive environments to me.

Are rides being sacrificed to develop immersive lands? Or said another way, could a ride have more attention, development, funding, etc. if a land didn't also need the funds, time, development, etc?

And...do you think these fully immersive lands are feeling a bit "played out"? Believe me, I love the creativity involved with making immersive lands. But...I don't know...they sometimes don't feel like they are designed for "theme park attendee to have fun", vs. putting you in to a "realistic experience"...regardless of whether it's really fun or not.

If it's unique it won't matter. Super Nintendo World looks like it's going to have a LOT of AAs and moving props, probably the most kinetic of any land anywhere, so that alone will probably set it apart.

LUVofDIS

I love how immersive GE, Pandora and Harry's land are. One of the worries I have over time will be how well the parks keep the CM's engaging the guests. The first time in Potterville I remember many encounters with witches and wizards, when I visited earlier this year, the only real encounter we had was at the restaurant by a wizard that sat us. Pandora seems to be keeping this aspect alive, many CM's still play the role. GE, we had the most interactions of any of the lands, especially when we visited for the Annual Passholder event. When we went back in the middle of September, the interactions dropped a little.

My point you ask, for me, the lands can be amazingly immersive, but it takes the interactions of the CM's to make it feel real. In recent years we have witnessed the decrease of street performers and the amount of CM's in the parks. If, as time goes by, they reduce the number of performers in these immersive parks than yes, the lands will be played out and offer very little in the guests experience. More investment into the actual attractions would have had much more value. If the parks can keep the interactions between CM's and guests, than it will be worth it.

Referring back to my statement about the wizard world, it felt much more magical when we had more interaction with the CM's on our original visit, so I hope that this was just a one time event of seeing fewer CM's interacting.

MaximumEd

In the top 3 things I would care about, CM interaction would be a solid 3. A fully fleshed out, realistic world would be number 2. The main thing for me would be are the rides/attractions any good. If you built a whole immersive Lilo and Stitch world, but the only attraction was SGE, then you failed.

Animaniac93-98

My point you ask, for me, the lands can be amazingly immersive, but it takes the interactions of the CM's to make it feel real. In recent years we have witnessed the decrease of street performers and the amount of CM's in the parks. If, as time goes by, they reduce the number of performers in these immersive parks than yes, the lands will be played out and offer very little in the guests experience. More investment into the actual attractions would have had much more value. If the parks can keep the interactions between CM's and guests, than it will be worth it.

Referring back to my statement about the wizard world, it felt much more magical when we had more interaction with the CM's on our original visit, so I hope that this was just a one time event of seeing fewer CM's interacting.

You're not going to get that kind of consistent, engaging performances from CMs if they have the same pay and benefits as regular CMs. There's zero incentive to keep up the act, especially when you're dealing with clueless, short tempered tourists and people who can't speak English. The volume of people also makes one-to-one interaction difficult.

drizgirl

You're not going to get that kind of consistent, engaging performances from CMs if they have the same pay and benefits as regular CMs. There's zero incentive to keep up the act, especially when you're dealing with clueless, short tempered tourists and people who can't speak English. The volume of people also makes one-to-one interaction difficult.
If they want live talent in the land, they need to hire live talent specifically for that. But someone tried to cut the budget bu trying to get CMs to double up and serve 2 purposes. The way McDonald's employees are taking new orders from the drive-thru board at the same time they're taking payment from someone else.

Goofyernmost

It appears to me that the world has gotten so unreal that it is hard to be able to pull ourselves out of that mode and immerse ourselves in any fantasy. We all need something non-controversial to get rid of even a little bit of our frustrations and concerns. Therefore, we pick the low hanging fruit of a theme park experience to express our concerns and upset that things aren't the way WE wanted to see them. No one gets hurt or violently upset about our criticism of that, so we look for the small things to complain about instead of being able to enjoy the parts that aren't perceived as flawed. It's the new human nature.

Victor Kelly

They can only do so much with CMs. Yes the architecture can be fantastic, but it all comes down to the people. And very frankly with low pay and high stress, you will not get what you are expecting

Heppenheimer

Question... how many people actually want a "fully immersive" experience? I, for one, am happy with a highly Imagineered environment that looks gorgeous. When it gets to the level that I'm supposed to go along and play make believe, though, I start to feel like Mitchell on Modern Family when Cam tricks him into attending a performance of interactive theater. I want to watch the show, but I don't care to be part of it. This is part of the reason why I have zero desire ever to stay at the Star Wars hotel (that, and the price).

Michaelson

I'm of the same mind, Heppenheimer. I enjoy the immersive performances of the CM's, but just prefer not to be drug into the 'play', as it were.

One awkward moment I had at Universal several years ago was interacting with two 'Men in Black' characters who approached me and asked my planetary status was?

Took me a minute to figure out what the heck they were even talking about, to the HIGH amusement of my adult children. :-(

Regards! Michaelson

AugieMorosco

I'm of the same mind, Heppenheimer. I enjoy the immersive performances of the CM's, but just prefer not to be drug into the 'play', as it were.

One awkward moment I had at Universal several years ago was interacting with two 'Men in Black' characters who approached me and asked my planetary status was?

Took me a minute to figure out what the heck they were even talking about, to the HIGH amusement of my adult children. :-(

Regards! Michaelson

I have some social anxiety, so I feel the same about being engaged in it myself. I feel anxious and stupid when it happens. I was interviewed on the big screen by the host in the Incredibles area of DHS. I'm sure I looked like I was having a good time, and to some extent I was (mostly because the host was so funny and quick-witted), but also it was a living nightmare. That said, I love that the full immersion exists and my ideal scenario would be to walk through and feel fully immersed - see it, hear it - and maintain the option to stay a bystander in this world.

BoarderPhreak

Having interacted with numerous CMs at SWGE, I think it's kind of cool. Disney needs to maintain the current level of staffing of these positions (but that's another discussion). I had a waitress at the Cantina in stitches; she called me a wookie (having a beard and a diagonally run camera strap, I was a shoe-in). She asked me a question at one point and I replied - as a wookie. Made her day (and mine). Another time, I had a similar interaction with Vi Moradi (who also called me a wookie - must be how they're trained, LOL). Finally, more than a couple of stormtroopers gave me the "we've got eyes on you" spiel (interestingly, while I was photographing THEM).

It can catch you off guard. After a couple of days it might just get tedious. But it was a fun new element to otherwise heavily-themed lands that lack interaction.

JIMINYCR

I personally enjoy the total immersed lands. Its a fun way of adding more experiences into the trip and further enhances to time you are passing through the areas. Of course not everyone wants to be a part of it and the CM's Ive seen respect that, just like the diners at 50s Prime Time sometimes dont appreciate the servers banter and are respected by not continuing the play along role. Its good to see that Disney is utilizing the talents of their CM's more and it hopefully it makes their work day on stage more enjoyable.

Scott Adams

Question... how many people actually want a "fully immersive" experience? I, for one, am happy with a highly Imagineered environment that looks gorgeous. When it gets to the level that I'm supposed to go along and play make believe, though, I start to feel like Mitchell on Modern Family when Cam tricks him into attending a performance of interactive theater...
I'm pretty sociable and still agree with you on this. I like to feel immersed in the environment and see ingenious ways ways to bring in the magic, but I don't want to have to play make-believe when I'm at a theme park. I think it's great for kids...and I'm sure many adults enjoy it...just not for me.

I LOVE Harry Potter areas. It's so well done and immersive. The rides are nice, but the area feels real. I'm amazed by the detail in the queue for the ride...I really would prefer to just spend time taking all that in. It transports you. Space Mountain feels like a (kinda retro now) space outpost. Carsland FEELS like you're in the movies. Jurassic Park in Orlando FEELS like part of the world.

I don't feel immersed at all at SWGE. The Falcon is kinda cool, but Batuu feels desolate (and has a ridiculous name). It doesn't feel like my Star Wars. It doesn't necessarily have to be Cloud City or the Death Star or a rebel base, but it would surely help! Imagine the rebel base with the ships all around from Episode 4...or Hoth...that would be so cool. I actually enjoyed the Star Wars show in the middle of DHS more than SWGE in DL. I haven't seen Avatar yet, but the world is so beautiful and immersive at Animal Kingdom that it works. Monsters Inc isn't the best ride, but I love it! I feel like I'm in Monstropolis.

NickMaio

I'm pretty sociable and still agree with you on this. I like to feel immersed in the environment and see ingenious ways ways to bring in the magic, but I don't want to have to play make-believe when I'm at a theme park. I think it's great for kids...and I'm sure many adults enjoy it...just not for me.

I LOVE Harry Potter areas. It's so well done and immersive. The rides are nice, but the area feels real. I'm amazed by the detail in the queue for the ride...I really would prefer to just spend time taking all that in. It transports you. Space Mountain feels like a (kinda retro now) space outpost. Carsland FEELS like you're in the movies. Jurassic Park in Orlando FEELS like part of the world.

I don't feel immersed at all at SWGE. The Falcon is kinda cool, but Batuu feels desolate (and has a ridiculous name). It doesn't feel like my Star Wars. It doesn't necessarily have to be Cloud City or the Death Star or a rebel base, but it would surely help! Imagine the rebel base with the ships all around from Episode 4...or Hoth...that would be so cool. I actually enjoyed the Star Wars show in the middle of DHS more than SWGE in DL. I haven't seen Avatar yet, but the world is so beautiful and immersive at Animal Kingdom that it works. Monsters Inc isn't the best ride, but I love it! I feel like I'm in Monstropolis.
I'm with you......I do not know why they chose a completely foreign star wars land to go with. So strange......so many cool places they could have recreated.

Mickeyboof

Immersive is the wrong word for all of this.

Main Street was already “immersive.”

Even Tomorrowland is “immersive.”

What Disney is currently trying to achieve is Realism. Galaxy’s Edge is Realism. It’s inherently immersive, just like all the other lands, but unlike other lands, Batuu is “Real” (or trying to be).

Frankly, Realism sucks. A Real Batuu doesn’t have incredible moments of fantasy, adventure or danger. It has mundane real stretches of real time in real space.

The result is a land with wind chimes instead of Background Music. Silence in front of the Falcon instead of an equally epic moment of musicality. At night the spires don’t erupt into a projection show with fireworks celebrating the legends of the force.

Realism sucks for a theme park land. Disney used to take you down rabbit holes into whimsical worlds of Pirates, Haunted Houses, undersea peril, scary adventures or Mississippi boat tours. Disney used to put castles at the end of turn of the century streets, and submarines next to mountains.

Now, you have rides and attractions that are so overly explained and logic-based, there is no room for the guest’s personal story or room to interpret the story.

Today, one could weave stories about the theories behind Haunted Mansion, or Big Thunder or the shops on Main Street. Who owns them, where they are now, what happened there, the history is ours to create and craft.

Realism, like at Galaxy’s Edge, removes the guests from using their own imaginations to complete their environments. That’s a real shame.

Imagineers don’t believe the guests are creative or imaginative enough to add to their stories. They give us all the answers. They don’t let us actively participate.

Imagineers do not encourage interpretation anymore. All the lands are exhaustingly prescriptive. They give us al the answers, answers to questions we aren’t even asking.

It’s a shame. We are creative too. Our imaginations are keeping the Disney Parks alive, AS WELL AS the imagineers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom