Frozen

bubbles1812

Original Poster
So obviously we don't know much about the movie yet except for the wee synopsis on wikipedia and the like:

When Anna (Kristen Bell) is cursed by her estranged sister, the cold-hearted Snow Queen Elsa (Idina Menzel), Anna’s only hope of reversing the curse is to survive a perilous but thrilling journey across an icy and unforgiving landscape. Joined by a rugged, thrill-seeking outdoorsman Kristoff (Jonathan Groff), his one-antlered reindeer and a hapless snowman (Josh Gad), Anna must race against time, conquer the elements and battle an army of frozen sinister warriors if she ever hopes to melt her frozen heart.

Now my question is, has anyone actually read the actual story The Snow Queen? It was actually one of my favorite fairy tales ever and in my opinion, one of the most beautiful that Hans Christian Anderson wrote. The moral is lovely and unique. The journey Gerda goes on is hard, perilous, and interesting to read about. Not to mention in a world of fairy tales where a prince/man is so often the hero, her completing her journey on her own without needing "help from a man" was pretty darn cool. And the images the story conjures are really amazing and special even without illustrations (though it can be a total bonus if you find an illustrated version).

But anyways to come to my point, I'm a bit sad reading what Disney has done to the story. Just reading that the couldn't be "bold" enough to keep the original character names says a lot to me. Not to mention the plot reads kind of like I can already tell how it will be resolved. Estranged sister? Yeah I can see where that is going...

I will obviously wait and see about Disney's take on it, and I will probably even see it, but it is pretty clear the only element they are really keeping is that someone is called "The Snow Queen." Just wanted to express my wish they had adapted a bit closer to the original story. It is a beautiful tale and one I would encourage everyone to read.

Magenta Panther

So obviously we don't know much about the movie yet except for the wee synopsis on wikipedia and the like:

When Anna (Kristen Bell) is cursed by her estranged sister, the cold-hearted Snow Queen Elsa (Idina Menzel), Anna’s only hope of reversing the curse is to survive a perilous but thrilling journey across an icy and unforgiving landscape. Joined by a rugged, thrill-seeking outdoorsman Kristoff (Jonathan Groff), his one-antlered reindeer and a hapless snowman (Josh Gad), Anna must race against time, conquer the elements and battle an army of frozen sinister warriors if she ever hopes to melt her frozen heart.

Now my question is, has anyone actually read the actual story The Snow Queen? It was actually one of my favorite fairy tales ever and in my opinion, one of the most beautiful that Hans Christian Anderson wrote. The moral is lovely and unique. The journey Gerda goes on is hard, perilous, and interesting to read about. Not to mention in a world of fairy tales where a prince/man is so often the hero, her completing her journey on her own without needing "help from a man" was pretty darn cool. And the images the story conjures are really amazing and special even without illustrations (though it can be a total bonus if you find an illustrated version).

But anyways to come to my point, I'm a bit sad reading what Disney has done to the story. Just reading that the couldn't be "bold" enough to keep the original character names says a lot to me. Not to mention the plot reads kind of like I can already tell how it will be resolved. Estranged sister? Yeah I can see where that is going...

I will obviously wait and see about Disney's take on it, and I will probably even see it, but it is pretty clear the only element they are really keeping is that someone is called "The Snow Queen." Just wanted to express my wish they had adapted a bit closer to the original story. It is a beautiful tale and one I would encourage everyone to read.

I agree with you. This rewrite of the "Snow Queen" story blows chunks IMO. What a wasted opportunity for something awesome. Where is Kay and Gerda in this synopsis? The heck with Rudolph the One-Antlered Reindeer! What a disappointment. First, we find out the film won't be animated in classic Disney 2D, and now THIS...the heck with it. :p

Magenta Panther

A leaked video with animation from the film popped up on tumblr the other day, it's been taken down but I found a post that's been spared.
http://nikazt.tumblr.com/post/48810494694 <-- If you don't want spoilers, don't watch. :3

I watched it. The snowman gag was okay (mostly because it was animated in 2D). But the girl and the guy...well, it's nice to see that Rapunzel and Flynn are still getting work....(geez, talk about generic). And the moment the guy talked about "contemporary audiences", I cringed. Poop jokes for everybody!!!!!!!! :p

bubbles1812

Original Poster
I agree with you. This rewrite of the "Snow Queen" story blows chunks IMO. What a wasted opportunity for something awesome. Where is Kay and Gerda in this synopsis? The heck with Rudolph the One-Antlered Reindeer! What a disappointment. First, we find out the film won't be animated in classic Disney 2D, and now THIS...the heck with it. :p
Glad to see someone agrees (and that someone has actually read the story... Based on the comments, it appears few have sadly). I don't mind the 3D element so much but 2D would have been nice. It's more just that the original tale is truly beautiful, and I think it would have made a good story without having to radically change it. The talking snowman I think is a super corny and kind of lazy in terms of the "comic side kick." Just very cartoony. (Yes I differentiate between a cartoon and an animated film). I will most likely still watch it, but yeah, I will definitely think about what could have been if they had been brave enough to tell closer to the original story. I can think of so many things that could have been beautifully animated that we likely won't see.

imagineer boy

I'm so tired of Disney following the same predictable formula with all of it's movies. "Modern" (which means it will be outdated quickly) versions of stories filled with adult jokes and pop cultural references and give off a really "Dreamworksy" feeling.

Can we go yet?

I watched it. The snowman gag was okay (mostly because it was animated in 2D). But the girl and the guy...well, it's nice to see that Rapunzel and Flynn are still getting work....(geez, talk about generic). And the moment the guy talked about "contemporary audiences", I cringed. Poop jokes for everybody!!!!!!!! :p
I think there will be a bit more to the girl, she is 'cursed' so who knows. Plus she's sister to the villain so that's a nice change. A lot of people thought the same for Tangled, and that turned out great. ;) Who knows?

Magenta Panther

Well, I certainly don't mind Disney straying from source material...look how far from the source "The Jungle Book" is, for instance...but this reworking of "Snow Queen" reads like Disney has taken a classic story and plugged it into the "Tangled" formula. Booooorrrrrinnngggg...

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah, not looking forward to this anymore myself. At first I was interested in a classic book being adapted into a Disney film. But not this way. The story looks like yet another cookie cutter "modern" take on a classic fairly tale.

It's also incredibly disappointing to see them going with CGI again instead of gorgeous 2D animation. I love the 2D character designs and environments shown off about halfway through that video, stark contrast to the bland and generic computer animated style shown afterwards. I am sick in the heart that Disney has effectively killed off their traditionally animated movies once again after they almost made a big comeback with PATF and the new Pooh movie (both of which are gorgeous to look at).

I'm hoping Pixar can keep Disney's animated movies going (despite my rather heavy dislike for CGI). But after the duds that were Cars 2 and Brave, I'm also worried about Monsters University. Watched multiple trailers and can't say i'm excited at all.

Sped2424

There is a sort of snippet of what one of the songs is going to sound like when it is released here
skip to 1:09 if you want to hear the song, personally I am shocked at how little has been released about this film so far, The hunger games trailer has been released and that film is also due out in november so the whole its still far away arguement doesn't rack up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom