Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairybuzz

While Maelstrom is a random ride that needs a MAJOR UPDATE (yes, I know some love it), as has been discussed here many times, the ride space is just too small to do Frozen any real justice. Frozen deserves something grand and fixing up this small space won't cut it IMO.

I agree fully. If they just use this spot here, I almost guarantee people are going to say "thats it????" or something similar to the comments when The Little Mermaid ride was built. even if they usurped the footprint left for the whole in case of adding countries thing, you'd still wind up with something very jammed together, and if they made it too tall it'd make the whole park look lopsided and it'd be so awkward compaired to the other pavillions ruining their landscapes with a towering menace.

anywho, I'm still in love with old epcot, and its unique adventures, that gave you your own journey. As a kid I always wore that viking hat on the ride and pretended I was a fierce female viking ready to show off and make all the boys know im better than them :p. (my cousin is a saint for putting up with me poppin him in the face with a sword all the time)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes I do, much like life in general. Although I am a fan of the McFly movies.

This one I'm lost on and I did see this movie. I think.
WALL-E-humans_320.jpg

adv.bluedude

I don't post much on these forums, but why not.

I have always loved Maelstrom for some reason. I've always considered it to be the B-movie of theme park attractions: on the surface, it's bad and random, but it has an incredible charm that you just can't find or duplicate anywhere else. That being said, Maelstrom should not be replaced with a Frozen ride. EPCOT is too over-saturated with film characters as it is. Yes Frozen is popular, yes it is probably the start of a new era of Disney animation, but in no way should it be brought to EPCOT because it was designed with a Scandinavian flare. Really, Frozen does not and should not belong anywhere in EPCOT. I just feel that the ride has such a personality and it would be an incredible loss to lose such a ride to what would probably be a cookie cutter "Hey look - Frozen!" water ride.

Enjoy my feeble attempts at eloquence. I'm going back to the shadows to quietly observe the forums where I belong.

The Empress Lilly

That depends- are you going to continue with the name calling and violent hyperbole? Really. Flogging because someone doesn't like high brow entertainment....
Oh, now I feel bad! :oops:

As far as I'm concerned, Disney builds an entire park devoted to Frozen. And a princess park, and a m&g kingdom.

But please no more in EPCOT. I've been watching the demise of EPCOT for two frustrating decades. My words are meant for that, in general. Not for taking a delight in Disney animation and seeing that represented in Disney's parks. Lord knows, I love that as much as the next person.

Sped2424

Epcot was enjoyed with plenty of success in it's early incarnations, the only one dumbing down the parks is the folks running it. The only difference is that guests just don't seem to mind, most likely because many are first timers and don't know that something even better used to sit in it's place. So I don't blame the guests, I blame the showrunners.

jdmdisney99

You are not the first to pass this way, nor shall you be the last...
those who seek the spirit of Norway face peril and adventure, but more often find beauty and charm.
Ahhhh!!! Geek out moment!

Ah yes....That ride up that tunnel with Odin's eye blazing at you is just plain AWESOME. A simple thing, yet so effective. Strikes the perfect note of eerie magic. One of the reasons I like Maelstrom so much.
Exactly. It may seem a bit random at first glance, but once you really ride it and take it all in it is just so majestic and spiritful. I love Maelstrom. All it needs is a few tech updates as well as some more queue theming and a new film and it really is still worth the wait.

Last edited:

jensenrick

How about creating an area in another park where they do belong. One could argue toy story may not have belonged in DHS until Pixar place

I know there has been lots of discussion on Star Wars land and Carsland. How about creating instead of Carsland a frozen land? Build a nice ice castle, (some holiday possibilities here as well), meet and greets, dark ride for the whole family, Sven sled coaster, heck and maybe even an Olaf spinner....I think an argument could be made frozen appears to be even more popular than cars....it would be all about execution and design

Well argued again. Seriously, if we can have a Carsland at DHS (for no valid reason at all) why now a Frozenland? I like it.

ronmeri28

And THAT is why I don't want Frozen where Maelstrom is, because that boat ride is too short and boring- Frozen deserves better.

I agree. I wish Malestrom was updated to be a longer attraction. I avoid this attraction when the wait time is moderate. It's not worth it in my opinion.

NormC

Devil's Advocate

Norway no longer supports their own pavilion. Maelstrom is boring and outdated. No one stays for the film anymore and most rush through the shop. Why should Disney spend money to fix it? There is an adjacent pad available so take Maelstrom out and build a larger Frozen ride on both pads that will kick . It can still be Scandinavian themed but capitalize on the popularity of Frozen and replace a worn out mold stained Norwegian ride that the mother country no longer cares about.

/End Devil's advocate

WDWDad13

Devil's Advocate

Norway no longer supports their own pavilion. Maelstrom is boring and outdated. No one stays for the film anymore and most rush through the shop. Why should Disney spend money to fix it? There is an adjacent pad available so take Maelstrom out and build a larger Frozen ride on both pads that will kick . It can still be Scandinavian themed but capitalize on the popularity of Frozen and replace a worn out mold stained Norwegian ride that the mother country no longer cares about.

/End Devil's advocate

as much as I like Maelstrom... I would be ok with removing and expanding it to a large frozen ride... but only if they expand it greatly. If they just remove it and put in a frozen ride... then they are wasting a big opportunity with a big film in a big park that could use some big stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom