Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWDad13

You know what's funny? I can see them building that fairytale hall, designing it like the castle in Frozen (maybe even the ice castle), and moving Else and Ana back to Epcot.. And saying THERE IS YOUR FROZEN ADDITION TO WDW!!!! While Disneyland and the over seas parks get state of the art dark rides in FANTASYLAND where Frozen belongs...

But where in WDW fantasyland could it go? Just because it's a Disney animated movie doesn't mean it automatically belongs in WDW fantasyland. DHS needs some TLC and it has plenty of room

Matt_Black

It's not even entirely Japanese at this point, it's sanfransokyo. plus instead of the all Japanese team like in the comic now there are folks of other nationalities so it loses even more of it's original Japanese influences.

I hadn't heard that. The code names are apparently the same, but perhaps the backgrounds have changed. Aside from the change in locale (which I assume was done to make the film both more accessible to Western audiences and marketable to Chinese audiences), the only other confirmed big change I know of is changing Hiro's last name from Takachiho to Hamada, which I like, because Marvel heroes NEED double initials. Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Matt Murdock, Bruce Banner, etc.

And, even with the changes, the sorts of characters are representative of various archetypes found in Japanese media. Baymax is a mecha, Fredzilla is a kaiju, Gogo Tomago seems reminiscent of sentai heroes, and Honey Lemon appears similar to the magic girl archetype. And Wasabe No-Ginger is a sushi chef.

FerretAfros

But where in WDW fantasyland could it go? Just because it's a Disney animated movie doesn't mean it automatically belongs in WDW fantasyland. DHS needs some TLC and it has plenty of room
To my way of thinking, the animated feature categorization does mean that it automatically belongs in Fantasyland. It's certainly a good indicator that it doesn't belong in World Showcase, which is supposed to, you know, showcase the cultures, architecture, and food of the world

And there's a lot of dead space at the Studios, but relatively little of it lends itself to this sort of addition. The obvious attraction pad is the empty soundstage next to TSMM, but Frozen doesn't fit the theme there at all (who wants the princess ride inside a generic box) and would only make that area more crowded. Perhaps they could do something with the Little Mermaid/One Man's Dream/POTC area, but that's only marginally better. It's a small park with little room to expand, and I have a tough time seeing Frozen as a good fit for either the Golden Age of Hollywood or the generic backlot

Sped2424

I hadn't heard that. The code names are apparently the same, but perhaps the backgrounds have changed. Aside from the change in locale (which I assume was done to make the film both more accessible to Western audiences and marketable to Chinese audiences), the only other confirmed big change I know of is changing Hiro's last name from Takachiho to Hamada, which I like, because Marvel heroes NEED double initials. Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Matt Murdock, Bruce Banner, etc.

And, even with the changes, the sorts of characters are representative of various archetypes found in Japanese media. Baymax is a mecha, Fredzilla is a kaiju, Gogo Tomago seems reminiscent of sentai heroes, and Honey Lemon appears similar to the magic girl archetype. And Wasabe No-Ginger is a sushi chef.
All of that is changing in the new film, .
Part of the biggest draw for this team were that they were all japanese and the comic was heavily influenced by anime and it's various archetypes as you said. But it seems like a lot of that is on the cutting board in the new film, one of the coolest parts was that fred was from the Ainu which is a type of indigenous people from Japan. But I believe that is being taken away for a more western version of the character as well. The point is the film is being heavily changed to make it more "accessible" to western audiences and it's ditching the source influence in a manner that has me worried.

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

I've said it before and I'll say it again- get rid of autotopia and build your frozen ride, M&G, and dining there. Maybe build a mountain (disney does love those) with the ice palace on it and it's a ride to go bring back Elsa. Then, on the other side of the mountain (the side that faces tomorrow land) you make it some kind of technology/future/space ride.

Frozen belongs in MK. End of story. Autotopia takes up a ton of space. And, if you have to keep it- build something similar at Hollywood, put it in Pixar Place, theme it to Cars, make it more visually appealing and fun, and you have a win win.

WDWDad13

I've said it before and I'll say it again- get rid of autotopia and build your frozen ride, M&G, and dining there. Maybe build a mountain (disney does love those) with the ice palace on it and it's a ride to go bring back Elsa. Then, on the other side of the mountain (the side that faces tomorrow land) you make it some kind of technology/future/space ride.

Frozen belongs in MK. End of story. Autotopia takes up a ton of space. And, if you have to keep it- build something similar at Hollywood, put it in Pixar Place, theme it to Cars, make it more visually appealing and fun, and you have a win win.

personally I think this is the problem with some of the Disney parks now... MK gets too much focus and changes (compared the others)...while they are good (don't get me wrong) they need to start focusing on the others that need some major TLC... MK is just fine and they know it or they wouldn't be charging more than a single day ticket there than the other parks. If they put in another major hit/area in MK, they'll need to create a 3rd ring around the new hub lol

Sped2424

personally I think this is the problem with some of the Disney parks now... MK gets too much focus and changes (compared the others)...while they are good (don't get me wrong) they need to start focusing on the others that need some major TLC... MK is just fine and they know it or they wouldn't be charging more than a single day ticket there than the other parks. If they put in another major hit/area in MK, they'll need to create a 3rd ring around the new hub lol
The alternative is putting that film and it's characters in area's they don't belong. Mk could use some more attractions to soak in guests. Doesn't mean they have to not add to the other parks, that's all them who think an expansion every 10 years in one area is enough.

muteki

MK gets the focus because WDW has the undisputed lock on the <12 year old girl demographic. They know they can win in that space no matter what because there is no competition. They can't (or don't think they can) compte for the <12 year old boy or teenage demographic, so they don't try at epcot, etc.

WDWDad13

The alternative is putting that film and it's characters in area's they don't belong. Mk could use some more attractions to soak in guests. Doesn't mean they have to not add to the other parks, that's all them who think an expansion every 10 years in one area is enough.

How about creating an area in another park where they do belong. One could argue toy story may not have belonged in DHS until Pixar place

I know there has been lots of discussion on Star Wars land and Carsland. How about creating instead of Carsland a frozen land? Build a nice ice castle, (some holiday possibilities here as well), meet and greets, dark ride for the whole family, Sven sled coaster, heck and maybe even an Olaf spinner....I think an argument could be made frozen appears to be even more popular than cars....it would be all about execution and design

Sped2424

How about creating an area in another park where they do belong. One could argue toy story may not have belonged in DHS until Pixar place

I know there has been lots of discussion on Star Wars land and Carsland. How about creating instead of Carsland a frozen land? Build a nice ice castle, (some holiday possibilities here as well), meet and greets, dark ride for the whole family, Sven sled coaster, heck and maybe even an Olaf spinner....I think an argument could be made frozen appears to be even more popular than cars....it would be all about execution and design
No more spinners. And all of those other lands made some sort of sense before, the best you could do is put frozen in the animation courtyard area, but even then arenedelle fits best in fantasyland.

WDWDad13

No more spinners. And all of those other lands made some sort of sense before, the best you could do is put frozen in the animation courtyard area, but even then arenedelle fits best in fantasyland.

as tacky as they are or can be... spinners are popular with the kids and all ages can ride

frozen could be an entire land... forget carsland.... build star wars land and frozen land you now have something for boys and girls and the whole family and would MAJORLY increase DHS and WDW altogether. I'm telling you there are big possibilities here and it DOES NOT need to go in the MK...because whatever goes there, means something else doesn't go somewhere else that needs it.

as for someones comment about tomorrowland speedway becoming frozen... just retheme that to cars...make electric cars/track and build some mountains (much smaller scale than DCA but that might make more sense)

Matt_Black

All of that is changing in the new film, .
Part of the biggest draw for this team were that they were all japanese and the comic was heavily influenced by anime and it's various archetypes as you said. But it seems like a lot of that is on the cutting board in the new film, one of the coolest parts was that fred was from the Ainu which is a type of indigenous people from Japan. But I believe that is being taken away for a more western version of the character as well. The point is the film is being heavily changed to make it more "accessible" to western audiences and it's ditching the source influence in a manner that has me worried.

Well, we'll see. Those descriptions are obviously the characters at the beginning. Once the plot is well under way, they might progress to being more similar to their comics forms.

I AM concerned about Wasabe No-Ginger. So, they want an African-American character in the film, so of COURSE they make him into the guy that cooks. Those are some unfortunate implications.

AngieTink27

I've said it before and I'll say it again- get rid of autotopia and build your frozen ride, M&G, and dining there. Maybe build a mountain (disney does love those) with the ice palace on it and it's a ride to go bring back Elsa.
I would not mind this one bit. Autopia is a themeless bore and coparable to go-kart tracks found at regional parks. The space it sits on is large enough for a quality land, and Frozen needs its own area close to Fantasyland. This would be a super move on MKs part.

Fairybuzz

as tacky as they are or can be... spinners are popular with the kids and all ages can ride

frozen could be an entire land... forget carsland.... build star wars land and frozen land you now have something for boys and girls and the whole family and would MAJORLY increase DHS and WDW altogether. I'm telling you there are big possibilities here and it DOES NOT need to go in the MK...because whatever goes there, means something else doesn't go somewhere else that needs it.

as for someones comment about tomorrowland speedway becoming frozen... just retheme that to cars...make electric cars/track and build some mountains (much smaller scale than DCA but that might make more sense)

1. What girls can't like star wars? guess im a boy then!

2. Wouldn't the magic kingdom look awkward with a desert red rock mt. on both sides of the park and a medieval town between? *looks at the rocks by tomorrowlands entrance* oh never mind >:p

As a kid I always pictured Tomorrowland and Frontierland as the same town different era because of that

WDWDad13

1. What girls can't like star wars? guess im a boy then!

2. Wouldn't the magic kingdom look awkward with a desert red rock mt. on both sides of the park and a medieval town between? *looks at the rocks by tomorrowlands entrance* oh never mind >:p

As a kid I always pictured Tomorrowland and Frontierland as the same town different era because of that

No one said girls can't like Star Wars. My lil 4yr almost 5yr old girl loves it too haha

doctornick

I am certainly in favor of expanding the Animation courtyard area and including more films. The nice thing about doing that is it could involve attractions related to Disney animated films that don't fit well with the medieval European theme of Fantasyland.

In order to properly do that, it would need to involve tearing down either the animation building or the Disney Jr one to expand into the current backstage area. I think it would be great if they expanded the area and made a connection to the RNR area to help with guest flow.

Fairybuzz

No one said girls can't like Star Wars. My lil 4yr almost 5yr old girl loves it too haha
Im just giving you a hard time :p

I am certainly in favor of expanding the Animation courtyard area and including more films. The nice thing about doing that is it could involve attractions related to Disney animated films that don't fit well with the medieval European theme of Fantasyland.

In order to properly do that, it would need to involve tearing down either the animation building or the Disney Jr one to expand into the current backstage area. I think it would be great if they expanded the area and made a connection to the RNR area to help with guest flow.

DIEEE DISNEY JR!!!!!

lol I hate it because it has absolutely nothing to do with me. My 6 yo sister hates it too. Then again were not its target audience but other than sesame street I always found shows geared for young kids to be somewhat insulting and remind me of a pediatrician's waiting room. *slpluh!*

anywho,

Maelstrom is my current fav ride at Epcot. while Epcot seems to be getting worse and worse at least Disneyland seems to be getting better. Maybe I'll ditch Florida for Anaheim instead. Its a longer flight but at least THEY still have THEIR Mr. Toad. (and their POTC, Small world, Tiki Room, and Indiana Jones Attraction are superior)

Then again, I could be wrong. They could build something really nice, advanced, and imaginative for Frozen that makes me feel like a kid again and leaves me wondering "how did they do that?"........BAHHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA AHHAHAHHA!!!!! plasma screens and empty rooms here we come!

Fox&Hound

I'm all for new stuff at Hollywood Studios it just seems to me like it fits more in Fantasyland. I'm not sure how Star Wars and Frozen really fit together (IF SW ever comes). But, if we saw Frozen in either park I would be happy. I'd just prefer they not wait 20 years to build something. Strike while the iron is hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom