Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sped2424

This makes me wonder what they're going to do when the special events come around. Elsa doesn't have a prince so I wonder what is going to happen to their M&G location during the events, since every other princess (except for Anna) will have her prince with them.
Elsa and Anna are a package pair like the princesses and the princes I guess, they could always do kristoff if they wanted.

Kman101

And Lion King is still quite popular. If TDO weren't so cheap, we could have gotten a dark ride along with the new Festival of The Liong King theater.

And don't Ralph and Vanellope STILL meet at DHS?

tribbleorlfl

Of course A&E's popularity will wane in time. However, I think when all is said and done, Frozen will settle into an "upper echelon" position in terms of Disney's properties. (ie, permanent presence in the parks). Consider the following:
  • 6 months after release, Frozen still made $250k at the Box Office (#20). That's a month after the home video release, mind you.
  • The soundtrack is on track for #1 on the Billboard sales chart for the 11th week in a row. Once again, it was released in November.
  • Merchandise remains elusive, with the costumes and dolls going for premium prices on the secondary market because demand is far outpacing supply. Half a year later.
The longer these trends continue, the more likely the film will cement its self in the pop culture lexicon (and among Disney fans in particular). Merida, Wreck-it Ralph and even (to a lesser extent) Rapunzel can't say the same.

Personally, what I'd like to see is them to retire Voyage of the Little Mermaid over at DHS and replace it w/ a Frozen show. I bet they could do something very similar to the current show w/ black lights and black-clothed puppeteers, only w/ Olaf and the magical ice. A&E can then be moved back permanently to the Animation Courtyard.

Kman101

I'd personally love a Jungle Book dark ride. And I'm disappointed that there's no real Aladdin attraction. I love the show at DCA and while I haven't seen the walk through at DLP in person, it looks well done and could have been duplicated, instead of Flying Carpets in the middle of Adventureland (or both in a nice Agrabah sub-section... I can't wait to one day visit Tokyo DisneySea) .... but that's another topic LOL

Sped2424

I'd personally love a Jungle Book dark ride. And I'm disappointed that there's no real Aladdin attraction. I love the show at DCA and while I haven't seen the walk through at DLP in person, it looks well done and could have been duplicated, instead of Flying Carpets in the middle of Adventureland (or both in a nice Agrabah sub-section... I can't wait to one day visit Tokyo DisneySea) .... but that's another topic LOL
They could create such a wonderful Aladdin dark ride if they wanted to, flying on a magic carpet is a huge to sell to well, anyone.

EricJ

No one freaked out for a wreck it ralph ride?
And Lion King is still quite popular. If TDO weren't so cheap, we could have gotten a dark ride
I'd personally love a Jungle Book dark ride.
They could create such a wonderful Aladdin dark ride if they wanted to, flying on a magic carpet is a huge to sell to well, anyone.

Your Disney Fanboy Anonymous partners just called, they want to schedule an intervention, but to cut down on the use of the words "Dark ride" for the next week.
One rumor at a time, all things in moderation. ;)

I give Monsters Inc. a pass as part of the movies premise relies on the notion of interdimensional travel, a long time staple of sci-fi. Also, one of the doors is that of the TARDIS. So that's cool.

And, again, at the time the Tomorrowland vacancy was responding to what was then the overwhelming fan demand for....a Monsters Inc. dark ride! :)

Last edited:

Nitrokoff

No one freaked out for a wreck it ralph ride? Or a princess and the frog attraction. Frozen's fan base has little to do with the being the latest it thing as that has never saved a film before instead it has everything to do with the fact that folks just seem to love it. Again you don't become the highest grossing animated film of all time or do the kind of success Frozen has done by just being the latest disney flick. Rapunzels wait times are still high and her character is quite beloved, lets say your argument is true that characters are only popular when their films come out, then why is Belle still getting up to 50 minute waits for her meet and greet when her film is over 20 years old? Point is these characters when they make their presence only get bigger after their initial success, not the other way around.

Why are there 120 minute waits for the Speedway? Because the M&Gs are attractions. I remember Star Tours having 3 hr waits when it first launched. Last Star Wars Weekends, when one would assume that the lines would be the longest, I rode it with my son 8 times in about an hour and change. As for Frozen's success... Iron Man 3 did $1.2B... and it's projected that Maleficient will close in on that number as well. I'm not knocking Frozen, I love the film. What I'm saying is that introducing a ride for it would be a knee-jerk reaction to it's popularity at the moment. I agree that the girls will settle into an upper echelon role. If memory serves me correctly they bumped off Aurora from the new parade. Can we just agree to disagree? We have two very contrasting viewpoints and this will just go on and on for ever.

Kman101

I don't think we need to be condescending. And I'm sort of tired of the "fan boy" thing thrown around as an insult. I'm far from a "fanboi" who sits around begging for dark rides. Why do threads always come down to this? Thank you Eric for telling us what we should be discussing and what we shouldn't be discussing. And for you stating your OPINIONS as facts on why YOU don't think there needs to be DARK RIDES. The fact is, DHS, Epcot and AK NEED more rides. Period.

DARK RIDE :)

Sped2424

Your Disney Fanboy Anonymous partners just called, they want to schedule an intervention, but to cut down on the use of the words "Dark ride" for the next week.
One rumor at a time, all things in moderation. ;)

And, again, at the time the Tomorrowland vacancy was responding to what was then the overwhelming fan demand for....a Monsters Inc. dark ride! :)
We were just talking about things we liked doesn't translate to being a fanboy. Then again you are new here ;)

Sped2424

Why are there 120 minute waits for the Speedway? Because the M&Gs are attractions. I remember Star Tours having 3 hr waits when it first launched. Last Star Wars Weekends, when one would assume that the lines would be the longest, I rode it with my son 8 times in about an hour and change. As for Frozen's success... Iron Man 3 did $1.2B... and it's projected that Maleficient will close in on that number as well. I'm not knocking Frozen, I love the film. What I'm saying is that introducing a ride for it would be a knee-jerk reaction to it's popularity at the moment. I agree that the girls will settle into an upper echelon role. If memory serves me correctly they bumped off Aurora from the new parade. Can we just agree to disagree? We have two very contrasting viewpoints and this will just go on and on for ever.
Animated versus live action are two different realms as animated flicks by disney enjoy a longevity that very few of their live action films ever get to enjoy. Was it a knee jerk move to do harry potter land before the saga even finished it's films? Or even Despicable me as an attraction? We don't need anymore reasons for Disney to not do something to create new experiences. If it's done well that it will stand the test of time regardless of the IP. Splash mountain can attest to that.

Matt_Black

Animated versus live action are two different realms as animated flicks by disney enjoy a longevity that very few of their live action films ever get to enjoy. Was it a knee jerk move to do harry potter land before the saga even finished it's films? Or even Despicable me as an attraction? We don't need anymore reasons for Disney to not do something to create new experiences. If it's done well that it will stand the test of time regardless of the IP. Splash mountain can attest to that.

Tower of Terror is another good example. It's a ride based on a six decade old sci-fi anthology series that many riders have never seen.

Nitrokoff

I don't think we need to be condescending. And I'm sort of tired of the "fan boy" thing thrown around as an insult. I'm far from a "fanboi" who sits around begging for dark rides. Why do threads always come down to this? Thank you Eric for telling us what we should be discussing and what we shouldn't be discussing. And for you stating your OPINIONS as facts on why YOU don't think there needs to be DARK RIDES. The fact is, DHS, Epcot and AK NEED more rides. Period.

DARK RIDE :)

Something,something ....dark riiiiiide.

BrianLo

As for Frozen's success... Iron Man 3 did $1.2B... and it's projected that Maleficient will close in on that number as well. I'm not knocking Frozen, I love the film. What I'm saying is that introducing a ride for it would be a knee-jerk reaction to it's popularity at the moment.

And Ironman is already getting a dedicated ride in HKDL, soooo.....

If one looks at the top 30 films worldwide of all time, there are very few that aren't already or upcoming theme park attractions. Titanic aside, the holdouts seem to be Lord of the Rings and Bond (give those a few years with Universal).

Most importantly, Frozen is doing absolutely gang-busters in Japan as well right now (and has had a fantasyland expansion on the short list of projects). Sounds like an easy way to spread around development costs.

Sped2424

And Ironman is already getting a dedicated ride in HKDL, soooo.....

If one looks at the top 30 films worldwide of all time, there are very few that aren't already or upcoming theme park attractions. Titanic aside, the holdouts seem to be Lord of the Rings and Bond (give those a few years with Universal).

Most importantly, Frozen is doing absolutely gang-busters in Japan as well right now (and has had a fantasyland expansion on the short list of projects). Sounds like an easy way to spread around development costs.
I was thinking if frozen was really successful over there something would come out of it. So if frozen is going anywhere first I bet its going to be in the Tokyo resort.

Matt_Black

But is popularity of a film a creatively valid reason for pursuing an attraction? As much as I enjoy Frozen, I just don't see it making for a good ride. Its a far more personal than environmental story.

It doesn't have to be a ride. "Attraction" covers a broad amount of entertainment. It could be a live show, like Voyage of the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, a ride, a play area (I'd love to be able to walk around Elsa's Ice Palace) or other things.

Sped2424

But is popularity of a film a creatively valid reason for pursuing an attraction? As much as I enjoy Frozen, I just don't see it making for a good ride. Its a far more personal than environmental story.
Elsa'spalace.jpg

While popularity alone shouldn't dictate new experiences I think we are all so starved for new stuff that anything would do. However I would have to disagree with you about frozen's environment.
tumblr_static_tumblr_mxemgh1qx21s659rlo5_1280.jpg

elsa-palace-still.jpg

Disney-Frozen-Elsa-Ice-Palace-Chandelier.jpg

Frozen-Arendelle-Castle-Main-Hall-Wallpaper.jpg

tumblr_static_frozen_fjord.jpg

look they even have possible
ride vehicles
tumblr_n4e4psbOTh1sj5h4oo1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom