Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Chaos

The castle at the end of Main Street, USA works off of the traditional arrangement of an actual Main Street. A completely different looking ice castle would just be another Hat.
Find me a picture of any turn of the century Main Street USA with a castle at the end of the street.

Captain Chaos

funny you say that because I thought the same thing.... how cool would a large frozen attraction be inside an actual ice castle they could do some amazing things with in the dark as well with lighting, sparkling, glowing, etc. it would be huge... Maelstrom is just WAY too small for this... how can they not see that? If they don't buil a frozen-land, then do something big like you were saying

a different approach to the great movie ride would be to redo it with all Disney movies and especially include some scenes from movies not represented in the park already today... some of the great classics up to now lots of possibilities
I didn't say it would be cool, nor did I say I advocate for such an attraction... Simply stated that when I heard the Jim Hill interview on that podcast, the first thing I thought about when he said what he said was what I mentioned above.. Not saying Disney/TDO/WDI would do something like that, but I can also see it as a possibility.

Captain Chaos

The castle at the end of Main Street is symbolic; it represents Walt Disney's progression from small-town boy to a man who made his dreams come true. There's nothing "stupid" about it.
And Walt is dead. Gone. No longer the man in charge. And no longer the man the current company tries to be like. Today's Walt Disney Company is about bottom line, profits. And Wall Street. If removing the Chinese Theater facade and making it the Ice Castle from Frozen (and thus a Frozen attraction) will increase attendance and profits, then why wouldn't they do it?

lazyboy97o

Find me a picture of any turn of the century Main Street USA with a castle at the end of the street.
Works off of is not the same as an exact replication. The castle stands in for a grand civic structure that celebrates the values of the town. In older towns in is a church as a symbol of religious devotion, more Midwestern towns it is a courthouse as a symbol of republicanism and at the Magic Kingdom it is a fairytale castle as a symbol of fantasy.

Captain Chaos

I would argue that the castle at the end of Main Street works because the MK is a park with many diverse lands that are all connected by a fantastical castle. HS, for the most part, is less about fantasy and more about, as the current name suggests, Hollywood. If TDO is going to somehow keep the Hollywood theme alive even after changing the park's name and adding Star Wars, then an ice castle still seems out of place imo. If they are going to abandon the current attempted theming and make the park's areas less connected with a broader theme (or lack thereof), then the idea of an ice castle at HS will seem less absurd, particularly if they take the word "Hollywood" out of the name. Just my ramblings on the subject ;)
However, if what 74 said (DHS getting a name change) and other rumblings about DHS getting a new direction, it will be less about "Hollywood" and more about going on a fantastical Hollywood adventure. The working studio has been dead for years now. They obviously are looking at this as being just a theme park. I can see them doing something like this. Remember, profits and bottom line first.

Kidblacksmith

Hi. I was wondering if anyone who has standing reservations could check and see if Maelstrom Fastpasses still seem unavailable after 9/28? I read a post on a different forum that claimed they are now available for the first week of October and maybe even beyond. Anyone have confirmation?

Captain Chaos

Works off of is not the same as an exact replication. The castle stands in for a grand civic structure that celebrates the values of the town. In older towns in is a church as a symbol of religious devotion, more Midwestern towns it is a courthouse as a symbol of republicanism and at the Magic Kingdom it is a fairytale castle as a symbol of fantasy.
And again, DHS is just a theme park. It's not really Hollywood. Removing the hat and changing the Chinese Theater facade into the ice castle isn't any more or less silly than a 1500's (or what ever year Cinderella Castle is supposed to have been built) castle at the end of a 1900's Main Street USA.

Theme parks: a place where you go to exit reality and step into a world of fantasy and fun. MK, where you walk into a land of tomorrow, into a world of fantasy, then into a world of adventure which represents different areas of the world, or the old west (except Splash Mountain is the old south so, um yea). If we can suspend belief and actually visit these such areas, why is an ice castle at the end of Hollywood Blvd in a theme park such a crazy concept?

WildcatDen

Around here we kind of know what we are talking about.
Can the Man get an AMEN!

I for one trust the news I see here more than anything I see regarding Disney elsewhere. There are 5 or 6 I know of (and I am not really all that active) that once provided information, I would feel comfortable telling friends.

And a certain insider produces some pretty nifty vidoes as well!

lazyboy97o

And again, DHS is just a theme park. It's not really Hollywood. Removing the hat and changing the Chinese Theater facade into the ice castle isn't any more or less silly than a 1500's castle at the end of a 1900's Main Street USA.

Theme parks: a place where you go to exit reality and step into a world of fantasy and fun. MK, where you walk into a land of tomorrow, into a world of fantasy, then into a world of adventure which represents different areas of the world, or the old west (except Splash Mountain is the old south so, um yea). If we can suspend belief and actually visit these such areas, why is an ice castle at the end of Hollywood Blvd in a theme park such a crazy concept?
The castles are not sixteenth century, but nineteenth century just like the rest of the architecture on Main Street, USA. There are also architectural styles that were popular in Hollywood during the time period represented.

You always seem to have such choice words for the "Whatever" approach. It is very odd that you now are in such favor.

Captain Chaos

The castles are not sixteenth century, but nineteenth century just like the rest of the architecture on Main Street, USA. There are also architectural styles that were popular in Hollywood during the time period represented.

You always seem to have such choice words for the "Whatever" approach. It is very odd that you now are in such favor.
In favor of what? What am I in favor of? Changing the facade of GMR from Chinese Theater to the Frozen Ice Castle? Where did I say I was in favor of that? Or, in your obsession of always being right and desire to constantly make people out to be wrong, you misread or failed to comprehend what I was saying?

I never once said I was in favor of removing the Chinese Theater facade and replacing it with Frozen/ice castle facade. I simply said, when I head Jim Hill's podcast about GMR going away, something cool going inside (cool being the clue word here), and the trackless ride system, i thought right away that the replacement could be Frozen. And I only said it is something I could see Disney doing.Where did I advocate for this change to be done? Hint: NO WHERE.

So come on Mr. Perfect, prove it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hi. I was wondering if anyone who has standing reservations could check and see if Maelstrom Fastpasses still seem unavailable after 9/28? I read a post on a different forum that claimed they are now available for the first week of October and maybe even beyond. Anyone have confirmation?

I has been reported by someone on this board that they got a Fastpass for 10/2.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fp-available-for-maelstrom-after-sept-28th.889836/#post-6315598

PlutoHasFleas

I have a FastPass+ for Maelstrom 9/30
attachment.php

However, as of 10/1, it is listed as stand-by only
attachment.php

acishere

How about adding to DHS, a park with a real lack of family attractions, without removing an existing one? Or at least just remove the backlot tour, which would open up a ton of area for multiple attractions.

Captain Chaos

How about adding to DHS, a park with a real lack of family attractions, without removing an existing one? Or at least just remove the backlot tour, which would open up a ton of area for multiple attractions.
That would be ideal, but unfortunately, that's not how TDO thinks.

Mike S

It's funny that people think a trackless ride through an icy environment that is magically lit up in different, vibrant colors would be great. That ride already exists in Orlando...
Seen video, the ride sucks. I think the people who built Mystic Manor would be able to do a MUCH better job (with the right budget, of coarse).

PlutoHasFleas

I really don't know or care. But we're also not here to decipher your writing either....
Well I'm glad I was able to clarify that for the first person to misunderstand it, which just so happened to be a member that has had a problem with me since my first post and whom is on my ignore list. Thanks for completely ruining the joke by needing an explanation.

Let it go. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom