Trip Report Frozen No More: a live birthday TR *Completed*

What: A mother/daughter long weekend to celebrate a Valentine birthday
Who: Myself (Tuvalu) and Emily (@TrolleyFollower91)
Where: POP! (70s building, yeah!)
When: Feb. 13-17, 2014
Why: I have never posted a trip report but was inspired by @coachwnh and @disneysince71 to go live!

Until about six hours ago, when our plane actually departed, I wasn't sure this trip was actually gonna happen. We live in Atlanta, a place that is not equipped to handle winter storms. You may have seen photos from "Snowjam/Snowmaggedon" (as the locals called it) from a couple weeks ago, where thousands of commuters were trapped in their vehicles from 8-12 hours and schoolchildren had to spend the night in their schools since the buses were unable to transport them home. Emily's usual 15 minute ride home from the elementary school where she student teaches took her over 3 hours, including having to abandon her car and walk the remaining two miles home.

After that storm blew over (so to speak!) I remarked to Emily how fortunate we were that the storm didn't happen the day we were scheduled to fly to Orlando. She replied, "Don't worry, that won't happen again."

Until this week.

Monday the forecasters began predicting a "catastrophic" snow and ice storm (I hear all you northerners laughing!) The governor of GA declared a state of emergency through the weekend. Schools and businesses
were closed beginning Tuesday. We began to see our long-awaited trip drift away...

Our Wednesday flight was cancelled at lunchtime on Tuesday. Sleet and freezing rain began that night and everything was frozen Wednesday morning.

Wednesday was a mix of sleet and snow. I was able to rebook our flight for late Thursday afternoon, doubtful we'd get to leave. And this is what we woke up to this morning:

Last edited:

stevehousse

Loving the report and the photos! Even though I feel the Poly needs some updating and TLC, the pictures of all the construction is a bit sad.
And those pictures are only about half of what is being done...I can't imagine staying there during all that construction...lobby, QS restaurant, pool, and DVC areas...just crazy. I appreciate the changes but that is just too much going on at once to warrant the cost of staying there during all that!

Loved the trip report! Your mom takes wonderful photos!

mishel635

Loved the trip report! So glad you were able to make it and I'll just pretend I'm not EXTREMELY jealous that you're going back in 40 days!!!! :)
Funnily enough, we were at Epcot on 2/15, MK on 2/16 and DHS on 2/17! We saw the marching band at Epcot and the Brazilian tour group (several times throughout the week) too! I am hoping to get a trip report going this week. I've never done one so it should be interesting! :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
No just for fun.... I have a new job so just can't visit the site as much.... Love your trip report your pics are amazing!!! Great job :)
Thanks. I will admit the "live" reporting was tough, probably will stick to "post trip" reports in the future.

Great report!! You take awesome pics!! Will miss the poly lobby but in a way it reminds me of the Brady bunch so I could be happy with the changes!
Emily is the photographer in our family. Her pics are way better than the ones I took on my IPhone :) I am sure the Poly lobby will be very nice once it is completed. It may not have the waterfall, but it may become more open and brighter.

Loving the report and the photos! Even though I feel the Poly needs some updating and TLC, the pictures of all the construction is a bit sad.
The construction made us sad, too. And it looks worse in person than the pictures. (I had seen some pics before we left and was surprised at the scope of the project when I saw it for myself.) Our preference would have been no DVC, but we weren't consulted :eek: Yet we expect it will be well done. And we will adjust.

And those pictures are only about half of what is being done...I can't imagine staying there during all that construction...lobby, QS restaurant, pool, and DVC areas...just crazy. I appreciate the changes but that is just too much going on at once to warrant the cost of staying there during all that!

Loved the trip report! Your mom takes wonderful photos!
We decided to wait until the construction is complete before returning to stay at the Poly. Thanks for the compliments!

Loved the trip report! So glad you were able to make it and I'll just pretend I'm not EXTREMELY jealous that you're going back in 40 days!!!! :)
Funnily enough, we were at Epcot on 2/15, MK on 2/16 and DHS on 2/17! We saw the marching band at Epcot and the Brazilian tour group (several times throughout the week) too! I am hoping to get a trip report going this week. I've never done one so it should be interesting! :)
Why do I suddenly feel like singing, "It's a Small World"?! We may have passed each other! Looking forward to reading your trip report!

Great great report!
Thank you!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Some final thoughts ~

We were very surprised how much we enjoyed POP Century. The theming was fun, the bus service was efficient (and we never had to wait for the loading/unloading of an ECV), the food court had more options than a deluxe quick-serve, and all the resort CMs we encountered were very friendly and happy to assist. The beds were comfortable and the double size mattresses did not bother us since we each had our own bed. The shower had great water pressure (better than some of the deluxe rooms we have been in) but we wished the towels were larger (a BIG difference between values/mods and deluxe. Not just a plush factor, but size. And the TP? Really missed the 2-ply found at the deluxes!) Since we were only using the room to sleep and shower, it met our needs. Would we want to stay again for a longer period of time and with more than two in the room? Nope.

We felt sorry for guests in the long lines at the FP+ kiosks. However, it caused us to reflect: what if, when paper fastpasses were introduced years ago, you got to go to one location to get all your fastpasses? Folks would have been singing praises for not having to criss-cross the parks! But now that they have to wait in one location, they are grumbling. It's all perspective ;)

Yes, we do not agree with the 3 per day limit, or making certain attractions FP+ that have no need to be (Captain EO anyone?) We hate the restriction that all 3 have to be in the same park most of all. Like many guests, we like to park-hop. But even with its limitations, FP+ is better than not having any FP at all.

So many complaints of "It's not fair!" or "This new way is NOT better for me!" Of course it's not. The new system is better for Disney. We seem to forget that Disney is a business that, like every other business, wants to make money. It is not a benevolent organization operating out of the kindness of its heart. When Disney stops making money, it will change its practices. If you don't like the way it operates, say so with your dollars. Don't spend them at Disney. They make take notice of verbal or written criticism, but bottom-line profit speaks the loudest. <gets down off her soapbox>

We know we have to be patient as Disney continues to grow and change. We are not fans of the coming changes to the Polynesian and Downtown Disney. And we hate the construction now happening at both. It was an ordeal to get to/from DTD just to get our Earl's fix. So we plan to avoid DTD (and staying at the Poly) until construction is complete.

But there is so much we love about Disney; so many things that beckon us to return again and again. The positives still outnumber the negatives by far. I read on this site recently that if someone asks, "Why are you going back to Disney AGAIN?!" they don't "get it."

We get it. It's the reason we are so thankful we were able to take this recent trip. You get it too, or you wouldn't have followed along.

Thanks for reading.

mebucko

Catching up again! Thanks for all the pics of the Poly! I'm just happy I have gotten the chance to finally stay there before everything changes. Not sure I'll ever get back there due to insane prices. I was lucky to get the discount I got for this time around. Can't believe the GF was cheaper than the Poly??

And saddens me to see that beach area small..still want to watch the fireworks from there though one night! When I did online check in I requested Fiji since it was furthest from the construction and looked in a good central location. Hoping to get that building!

Can't wait to read the rest of your report! And you just made me 1000X more excited to check into the Poly on Friday!!!
Hiya, PartOfYourWorld,
How was your race and stay at the Poly?
We were in Fiji, and loved the entire trip. The construction was not a problem for us.
Hope you guys had a great time!
Ch-Ears,
Bill

PartOfYourWorld

Just catching up since I've been back! One thing I don't like about FP+ is booking it so far ahead. My husband and I will be going in May, but we have NO idea what parks on which day we'll be at even with ADRs. Because we might go there just for that and then go somewhere else. When travelling with him we're more lets see where we feel like going today....and it doesn't accomodate park hopping either...so might be making last minute fastpass+ reservations on the phone that morning. We'll see how that goes.

Just coming back from the Poly a week ago, the construction didn't bother us at all...granted they didn't start work on the lobby yet, but I wouldn't stay there in the coming months that's for sure...very glad we did it when we did!

Glad you had an awesome time and crossing fingers soft opening of the mine train for you in your coming trip!!! :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just catching up since I've been back! One thing I don't like about FP+ is booking it so far ahead. My husband and I will be going in May, but we have NO idea what parks on which day we'll be at even with ADRs. Because we might go there just for that and then go somewhere else. When travelling with him we're more lets see where we feel like going today....and it doesn't accomodate park hopping either...so might be making last minute fastpass+ reservations on the phone that morning. We'll see how that goes.

Just coming back from the Poly a week ago, the construction didn't bother us at all...granted they didn't start work on the lobby yet, but I wouldn't stay there in the coming months that's for sure...very glad we did it when we did!

Glad you had an awesome time and crossing fingers soft opening of the mine train for you in your coming trip!!! :)
So happy you were not bothered by the Poly construction! My brother and his family are staying there during our spring break vacation the beginning of April (we will be at POFQ) and I am hoping they feel the same way since it will be their first visit there.

My husband and I usually go by ourselves in May...it is our FAVORITE time to go...but since Emily's college graduation is in May we will have to wait until next year. :( Have fun for us!

PartOfYourWorld

So happy you were not bothered by the Poly construction! My brother and his family are staying there during our spring break vacation the beginning of April (we will be at POFQ) and I am hoping they feel the same way since it will be their first visit there.

My husband and I usually go by ourselves in May...it is our FAVORITE time to go...but since Emily's college graduation is in May we will have to wait until next year. :( Have fun for us!

I hope they won't be! Not sure if the lobby fountain will be blocked off at that time, but I hope not for them so they can see it!!! Especially if it will be their first visit there.

I will make sure to think of you! wish you could go but Congrats to Emily on her college graduation! After going last year in May, I love it! The end of Flower and Garden and beginning of SWW....works out perfectly!

WDWJenn09

Thank you Tuvalu for sharing your experience with us. I have, unfortunately, switched our resort over to the Contemporary for our summer trip. I did this after learning the pool is closing on July 27 which right during our trip. Your post helped me to solidify that the switch was the right choice for us. I am sad we aren't staying at the Poly but we will try again some day. I am also sad to see that the bungalows may be obscuring the view to Cinderella's Castle and the fireworks. It especially seems like it will block the Theme Park View from the Hawaii building. I'm all for renovations and change, but some of these changes look like they favor the DVC clientele and hinder the regular guests of the Poly. I do hope I am incorrect and the beauty and experience that is unique to the Poly will remain unchanged for all!

TrolleyFollower91

Thank you Tuvalu for sharing your experience with us. I have, unfortunately, switched our resort over to the Contemporary for our summer trip. I did this after learning the pool is closing on July 27 which right during our trip. Your post helped me to solidify that the switch was the right choice for us. I am sad we aren't staying at the Poly but we will try again some day. I am also sad to see that the bungalows may be obscuring the view to Cinderella's Castle and the fireworks. It especially seems like it will block the Theme Park View from the Hawaii building. I'm all for renovations and change, but some of these changes look like they favor the DVC clientele and hinder the regular guests of the Poly. I do hope I am incorrect and the beauty and experience that is unique to the Poly will remain unchanged for all!
I don't think you'll be disappointed with your switch! I'm confident once the poly is done it will be beautiful, but unfortunately we have to live with the ugliness for awhile.

TrolleyFollower91

I hope they won't be! Not sure if the lobby fountain will be blocked off at that time, but I hope not for them so they can see it!!! Especially if it will be their first visit there.

I will make sure to think of you! wish you could go but Congrats to Emily on her college graduation! After going last year in May, I love it! The end of Flower and Garden and beginning of SWW....works out perfectly!
I'm pretty sure my mom is excited about her third and last child graduating from college. At least, I hope it makes up for missing her annual trip with my dad! :rolleyes: Don't worry, they have a trip for November planned :bored:

Betsyboo

Just caught up with all the picture posts etc. I really wanted to try a live report like you and @coachwnh but as you can see from my TR it didn't happen.

All the pictures are gorgeous!

I really enjoyed following along and it made me really excited to read them as I was getting ready for my trip.

I'll be on the look out for your next one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom