Frozen Embracing Norway

Epcot82Guy

My hope is down the road this feature will maybe move them (if anyone there even cares anymore) to include more Norway specific touches or references somehow into the ride itself etc. Because aside from architecture and costumes, nothing was left about Norway, everything has been over saturated with princess stuff. Inside the stave church yes there are references, but that is not enough.

I totally agree. I don't love the addition conceptually, but I've accepted that's the direction they are going. I just wish there was some sort of attempt to tie it in. I've said all along they could use the small entry area to display things about how Norway inspired Frozen (i.e. much like the Stave church displays), so join Anna and Else for a new adventure. It's not much - but at least it shows effort to do so (which the current attraction does not).

Beacon Joe

Good first step. If we're lucky, the Frozen lasses will now embrace Norwegian history and culture, polar bears, sacked Viking villages, long boats, trolls that don't suck, oil rigs, and high seas adventures.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Good first step. If we're lucky, the Frozen lasses will now embrace Norwegian history and culture, polar bears, sacked Viking villages, long boats, trolls that don't suck, oil rigs, and high seas adventures.

Not quite grasping Norway as a modern invention eh?

Castle Cake Apologist

What I don't get is how some people are perfectly fine with Snow White being German and Pinocchio being Italian even though those movies don't explicitly say "Hey, we're in Germany/Italy!"; but, they have trouble with a clearly Norwegian-ish film being in Norway without it saying, "Hey, we're in Norway."

Well, now, the film is saying, "Hey, we're in Norway!"

The difference obviously being that neither of the films you mentioned have dark rides in either of those pavilions, so they are not using those films to represent the real-world version of the country from which they originate. I imagine several people would take issue with Snow White's Scary Adventures being built in the Germany pavilion or Pinocchio's Daring Journey in the Italy pavilion.

lazyboy97o

The difference obviously being that neither of the films you mentioned have dark rides in either of those pavilions, so they are not using those films to represent the real-world version of the country from which they originate. I imagine several people would take issue with Snow White's Scary Adventures being built in the Germany pavilion or Pinocchio's Daring Journey in the Italy pavilion.
It is an interesting question as to when a story of specific authorship becomes a part of a larger culture.

This. While Norway had various unions with Denmark and Sweden over the past millennia, Norway was still recognized as a distinct political entity, usually a distinct kingdom in a union of crowns.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well I didn't see any in the Norway section of EPCOT today.
Förenade Konungarikena Sverige och Norge

Last edited:

Spike-in-Berlin

Makes more sense this way however now causes issues.. Elsa is queen of Arendelle right? You can't be queen of just a city lol
Oh purleeeezeee don't start doing LOGICS on Frozen. My personal favorite is the "eternal winter" that lasts how long? Yep. About 3 1/2 days, from Elsas flight from the royal castle to the happy end. That's definitely a HUGE problem in a nordic country that has normally probably winters that last 4-5 months or more. So how long does Elsa live her "life of solitude" in her new built ice palace? Watch the movie, it's 3 days.
But the absolute rock bottom of this movie is the behaviour of FOREIGN diplomats, like this "Duke of Weselton", who, as a foreigner, shouts orders to the palace guard to arrest their own queen - and they even try to obey! I also think, the idea of a foreign prince who orders the execution of the rightful queen of the country is a tad to much, isn't it.

lazyboy97o

Oh purleeeezeee don't start doing LOGICS on Frozen. My personal favorite is the "eternal winter" that lasts how long? Yep. About 3 1/2 days, from Elsas flight from the royal castle to the happy end. That's definitely a HUGE problem in a nordic country that has normally probably winters that last 4-5 months or more. So how long does Elsa live her "life of solitude" in her new built ice palace? Watch the movie, it's 3 days.
But the absolute rock bottom of this movie is the behaviour of FOREIGN diplomats, like this "Duke of Weselton", who, as a foreigner, shouts orders to the palace guard to arrest their own queen - and they even try to obey! I also think, the idea of a foreign prince who orders the execution of the rightful queen of the country is a tad to much, isn't it.
Given the close bloodlines of Europe’s monarchies, the Duke of Weselton is probably Hans, Anna and Elsa’s uncle.

rreading

Even though I'm on the "C'mon, it's in Norway" side of the debate, I need to acknowledge that, based on the movie itself, it's Norweg-ish and not explicitly Norwegian.

Now, it's indisputable that the animators went to Norway and incorporated full-on Norwegian fashion and architecture into the film. But, they didn't slavishly copy exact Norwegian things. Just like the town is set in Arendelle and not the real town of Arendal, the film is set in a fictionalized Norway; only, they didn't say Norway. And when they put in FEA and the Sommerhus, it was the imagineers' turn to go to Norway so as to make the architecture as really real Norwegian as possible for the sake of the pavilion.

What I don't get is how some people are perfectly fine with Snow White being German and Pinocchio being Italian even though those movies don't explicitly say "Hey, we're in Germany/Italy!"; but, they have trouble with a clearly Norwegian-ish film being in Norway without it saying, "Hey, we're in Norway."

Well, now, the film is saying, "Hey, we're in Norway!"

This

As much as I understood/understand the indignation from Maelstrom's removal and the shoehorning of Frozen into World Showcase, the upgrade to Norway's pavilion was magnificent. It is a beautiful, spread out, verdant area which encompasses it's Stave Church (which my family has routinely walked through over our last few trips) and seems to draw much more attention than previously. I very much miss the personality of the first 2/3 of the Maelstrom ride (ignoring the final portion); but while not an E-ticket, Frozen is still a home-run in my book (and I suspect this is validated by its exit polls).

The only down side of this Norwegian transformation is the fact that the IP preponderance is likely to spread. Perhaps it would have happened anyway....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom