Frontierland Gate: Then and Now

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

😕
I thought Miss Irvine was supposed to save us from these kinds of obscenities?
She is the cause of these obscenities. I am getting sick and tired of her riding her mom's coast tails as an excuse to try and leave her personal stamp on some of Disney's most beloved attractions that were fine the way they were.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not understanding how it was cheesy or outdated. Please explain

just looks out of place/fakey to me...

and yes...I appreciate the history and nostalgia

I don’t have a problem with the redo...but I’m not a born and raised disneylander.

now if they ripped apart Epcot to put in dumb comic book rides and convention space...then I’d be mad😡

Sharon&Susan

Nope they planted a couple really low plants and that was that. It’s still there in all its glory. Baffles me that they didn’t plant a hedge there or some taller trees to help hide that wall.
Even making it look like something that could actually exist (like making a wooden wall with multiple 1940's styled poster advertisements for the circus?) would've made it look far better, even if a bit out of scale with the rest of Storybookland.

Sharon&Susan

just looks out of place/fakey to me...

and yes...I appreciate the history and nostalgia

I don’t have a problem with the redo...but I’m not a born and raised disneylander.

now if they ripped apart Epcot to put in dumb comic book rides and convention space...then I’d be mad😡
A gate made out of logs looks out of place.... on a Western fort made of logs? Huh?

britain

I see what y’all are saying, but when you use words like “disgusting” and “disaster” you lose credibility.

Really, save terms like that for SuperStar Limo, or even high-quality things that are arguably in the wrong place (SWGE). This new fence warrants a “Huh, that’s a disappointing choice.”

To say anything harsher will make you look like an unreasonable maniac and THAT will make it harder for Disney to listen to legitimate criticisms.

Don’t cost us the war over this piddly battle.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I see what y’all are saying, but when you use words like “disgusting” and “disaster” you lose credibility.

Really, save terms like that for SuperStar Limo, or even high-quality things that are arguably in the wrong place (SWGE). This new fence warrants a “Huh, that’s a disappointing choice.”

To say anything harsher will make you look like an unreasonable maniac and THAT will make it harder for Disney to listen to legitimate criticisms.

To be fair, you re initial response on this thread glossed over what a downgrade this new gate is along with every other point I made. So you re kind of doing the same thing except instead of being “dramatic” you’re just ignoring the issue. Which in essence would have the same effect that you claim the harsh criticism would have.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

As a Disneyland fan changing something so iconic is disgusting and a big time disaster. Like adding guici sun glasses on the Mona Lisa

mickEblu

Original Poster
you’re overthinking this. I don’t think the western stockade looked great. Just a personal opinion. Not bored enough to make this one of those kinda back and forths

Haha it’s all good. If you had said this the first time it would have been a lot easier to understand. I think the words you used at first were poorly chosen. But I’m pretty sure you knew that and that you would get this reaction when you say a gate made of logs looks out of place in Frontierland without providing any further clarification on why.

Sailor310

I think it was at this gate (or the fort on Tom Sawyer's Island) that you could climb the stairs in the tower and fire a gun through a gun port. I think it was electric and made a very satisfying gun sound......then some little girl ripped her finger off on the trigger and no more cool guns in the stockade. Just one cool thing after another not there anymore.

SuddenStorm

I think it was at this gate (or the fort on Tom Sawyer's Island) that you could climb the stairs in the tower and fire a gun through a gun port. I think it was electric and made a very satisfying gun sound......then some little girl ripped her finger off on the trigger and no more cool guns in the stockade. Just one cool thing after another not there anymore.

That was the fort on the island. Which of course got closed to guests, torn down, and rebuilt as a backstage area.

Sharon&Susan

That was the fort on the island. Which of course got closed to guests, torn down, and rebuilt as a backstage area.
I recall hearing that those rifles were originally from the Davy Crockett arcade (now the Frontierland gift shop complex) and moved to FW once that opened in '56 just like the statues of Davy Crockett and the rest. Not sure if that's true or not.

jmuboy

This is a terribly disappointing iteration of the gate! Fiberglass / composite logs can’t be so hard for Disney to afford. And this from someone who is ok with the new 2019 Adventureland marquee! I’m not so stuck in the past I can’t accept change. But the Adventureland gate change was needed. Widen the walkway and remove foot traffic obstructions. With the Frontierland gate we replaced one highly themed fence with a Home Depot style fence. I just don’t get it. Why not Just recreate what was there with modern more durable materials. No design work needed.

also - for the love of Pete when is the TL entrance gonna be completed? Only Disney takes 18 plus months to build a elevated planter to hide utilities. That green fence on the left is getting OLD!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom