Frontierland Gate: Then and Now

mickEblu

Original Poster
I originally put this in the Miscellaneous Thread but I think it’s deserving of its own. So how do we feel about losing the old Frontierland “log” gate for my neighbors fence? ☹️

Saw this on a Justin scarred video yesterday. Don’t think anyone else has pointed this out.

If this is not temporary, this is another great example of the park declining by degrees. Actually on this one, I’d say it’s more than a few degrees. There is no reason I can think of that explains why they couldn’t have matched the gate the way they had it before. Are the few inches of space going to make a difference?

Before:

4D66EFA9-D7FB-407E-B17D-E46E9EBBA974.jpeg

37DF2F89-C057-4CEA-ADAD-0CA40324717C.jpeg

After:

AE6DA4FF-B331-4E23-AB9E-02638C0D1055.jpeg

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Or do we give them the benefit of the doubt? Is this what happens when you open up Pandora’s box and renovate really old things? Is there some practical reason for this? I know they widened the path leading to the gate but can’t understand why they cheaped out so much on the gate itself.

Or is there a more sinister, politically incorrect reason for this. Is the old fort style entrance not politically correct anymore?

Last edited:

britain

Or do we give them the benefit of the doubt? Is this what happens when you open up Pandora’s box and renovate really old things? Is there some practical reason for this? I know they widened the path leading to the gate but can’t understand why they cheaped out so much on the gate itself.

Or is there a more sinister, political reason for this. Is the old fort style entrance not politically correct anymore?
To be honest, I always felt like the fort entrance was a bit of a one cheek experience anyway. If you’re going to do it, do it right like at Disneyland Paris where you have to walk through an entire fort, front AND back before you get to the western town.

Its more of a frame than anything.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Every land entrance from the hub has been downgraded in the last few years except Tomorrowland. We got the pink dollhouse castle. Lost the skulls at the Adventureland entrance in addition to the less aesthetically pleasing new arch they unveiled before the pandemic and now the Home Depot Frontierland gate. I’ll say it again, if these people were building Disneyland from scratch, we wouldn’t have a Disneyland.

How many Diamonds being replaced by Cubic Zirconia does it take for the park to lose it’s luster?

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Every land entrance from the hub has been downgraded in the last few years except Tomorrowland. We got the pink dollhouse castle. Lost the skulls at the Adventureland entrance in addition to the less aesthetically pleasing new arch they unveiled before the pandemic and now the Home Depot Frontierland gate. I’ll say it again, if these people were building Disneyland from scratch, we wouldn’t have a Disneyland.
I was thinking about this, as there are reasons that prompted the other changes, but nothing I can think of to support the beautifully planed boards in a rugged frontier setting. New logs didn't have to be made of wood, I assume fiberglass and resin would have been the optimum approach. However, I assume the thought is that few will pay attention as they're speed walking by. We notice.
Honestly...it’s the most outdated/cheesy thing in the whole park
I'll raise you the 'windows' in the Space Mountain queue!

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I was thinking about this, as there are reasons that prompted the other changes, but nothing I can think of to support the beautify planed boards in a rugged frontier setting. New logs didn't have to be made of wood, I assume fiberglass and resin would have been the optimum approach. However, I assume the thought is that few will pay attention as they're speed walking by. We notice.

I'll raise you the 'windows' in the Space Mountain queue!

Right, I may find the castle a little too pink and think the stars are going overboard but at least it doesn’t look cheap. Well, it does come across a little more fiberglassy but you get what I mean. Adventureland arch is about what I expect from modern Disney re-doing something classic but their really is no excuse for the new Frontierland gate. The more I think about the more disappointed I am in them for this one.

DavidDL

I thought the second photo was the "After" image at first and I was about to say, "Wait, what's wrong with it?" Then I got to third image, haha.

Tbh, I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out but the I definitely think the second image is the best of the three. I seriously doubt though, that the old fence was "politically incorrect". If it were, then the entirety of the fort or even Frontierland for that matter, would have gone with it. This likely either the result of Disney's attempt to widen the walkways or some kid ended up with a splinter or something. Even if it were the latter, there really is no reason they couldn't have created a fence that at least looks like wood out of a safer material. I chalk this one up to an unwillingness to spend money on it if more folks won't notice or perhaps something they haven't gotten around to.

I'd love to get them the benefit of the doubt, when possible. Even with as much money as Disney makes, I'm sure requests pour in from all sorts of departments. Landscaping might have been waiting for more flowers, maybe an attraction has had a request to repaint some handrails for a while, etc. etc. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to delegating funds or manpower to something like this yet, assuming they even plan to. But it was probably just them doing things quickly and cheaply. The old fence may never return or maybe they're aware of it and haven't gotten around to it yet. Guess we just don't know.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I originally put this in the Miscellaneous Thread but I think it’s deserving of its own. So how do we feel about losing the old Frontierland “log” gate for my neighbors fence? ☹️

Saw this on a Justin scarred video yesterday. Don’t think anyone else has pointed this out.

If this is not temporary, this is another great example of the park declining by degrees. Actually on this one, I’d say it’s more than a few degrees. There is no reason I can think of that explains why they couldn’t have matched the gate the way they had it before. Are the few inches of space going to make a difference?

Before:

View attachment 557476

View attachment 557477

After:

View attachment 557478
That is not temporary. That is permanent. And its disgusting. Modern Disney doesn't even understand how Disneyland works. They keep taking away the lilttle charm and details that make the park oh so special and better than the rest. Looks like they went shopping at home depot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom