Frontierland Expansion Rumor

_Scar

True, but its a low cost option to keep some people happy and solve issues faced with the girlie FLE.

But that's such a cop-out.

MK needs QUALITY- not a cheap way to keep the fans happy.

And not all of FLE is girlie whatsoever.

_Scar

But it is aimed at young kids, not the whole family. I want something I can do with my younger sister and my parents. And I'm nearly 24. It ain't a meet and greet I'll tell you that...

Fantasyland is for the young at heart.

I'm a guy, but I love the Disney 90's classics.

The M&G's were never my thing whether it be Woody, Pooh, or Cinderella.

aladdin2007

Exactly, how about some love for hunchback of notre dame, pocahontas, hercules etc etc, I love those. Ok a couple of those dont fit in frontierland of course, but just sayin.

_Scar

I'm a guy and pretty manly in my ways I'd say, but TLM to me is for both genders.

I hope Pocahontas winds up in FrL

imagineer boy

But it is aimed at young kids, not the whole family. I want something I can do with my younger sister and my parents. And I'm nearly 24. It ain't a meet and greet I'll tell you that...

I agree that at WDW it shouldn't be "everything for everyone" but the only place that should apply is Fantaseyland. Everything there really should be family oriented.

And IMHO, absolutly NOTHING at WDW should ever pander to just little kids like FLE obviously does.

Testtrack321

I'll ride every ride in Fantasyland. I love IASW.

I won't be lining up to reenact Beauty and the Beast with Belle nor will I be making birthday cards with Aurora.

Disney had a chance and they blew it all on "Girls spend money on princess stuff. Meet and greets are cheap. I KNOW WHAT TO DO!"

mickey2008.1

why not just make it a land that appeals to everyone, not every ride but everyone. This is how all lands are currently. TL, kids and adults and everywhere in between, same with Frontier land, and ADVL. is it that hard:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
why not just make it a land that appeals to everyone, not every ride but everyone. This is how all lands are currently. TL, kids and adults and everywhere in between, same with Frontier land, and ADVL. is it that hard:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

You cannot please everyone. Most people do not like everything in every land. So ...yes it would be pretty difficult.

jt04

:brick: *sigh*

Lasseter clearly explained the FLE is being designed as a place for people with young children. A place where they could enjoy the Disney magic in a simpler, less crowded atmosphere. The fantasyland that was, and of which nobody claimed was too girly, will still exist. There will just be a new area that acts as a refuge for parents and their young children. This has been explained here numerous times. Is it that hard? :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

WDWFigment

Were you complaining when Everest or Test Track were being built that your younger siblings wouldn't be able to experience them with you?

Not every attraction can appeal to everyone. If you don't like interactive character experiences, enjoy Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, or one of the other rides that folks 40-some-inches and under can't enjoy while the 40-some-inches and under crowd enjoys the attractions that appeal to them, but not to you.

Testtrack321

Were you complaining when Everest or Test Track were being built that your younger siblings wouldn't be able to experience them with you?

Not every attraction can appeal to everyone. If you don't like interactive character experiences, enjoy Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, or one of the other rides that folks 40-some-inches and under can't enjoy while the 40-some-inches and under crowd enjoys the attractions that appeal to them, but not to you.

This is a fair argument, and it does poke a hole in my argument.

I argue neither were several hindered million dollar expansions that had a narrow age focus; both were complex, yet singular attractions in a lager area.

Not every attraction can appeal to everyone; it didn't back in 1955 and it won't now. But this is a lop-sided expansion, a lop sided land, the same complaint I had with Flick's Fun Fair. There's nothing wrong with meet and greets, but when you have several hundred million dollars and you spend it on landscaping and elaborate meet and greets aimed at younger audiences, well, I have to wonder why more age-neutral meet and greets and rides were not added instead.

WDWFigment

This is a fair argument, and it does poke a hole in my argument.

I argue neither were several hindered million dollar expansions that had a narrow age focus; both were complex, yet singular attractions in a lager area.

Not every attraction can appeal to everyone; it didn't back in 1955 and it won't now. But this is a lop-sided expansion, a lop sided land, the same complaint I had with Flick's Fun Fair. There's nothing wrong with meet and greets, but when you have several hundred million dollars and you spend it on landscaping and elaborate meet and greets aimed at younger audiences, well, I have to wonder why more age-neutral meet and greets and rides were not added instead.

In my estimation, Beast's Castle/Gaston's Tavern and the Little Mermaid dark ride are far and away the most expensive expenditures in FLE. I contend that both of those are aimed at the whole family. Subtract those expenses, and I would hazard a guess that the remaining FLE is around $50 million or less. Subtract landscaping and other misc. expenses from that, and you arrive at the cost of the remaining "kiddie-themed" attractions (meet and greets and Dumbo). My bet is those M&Gs and Dumbo expansion cost around $25 million total, if not less. Separately, Test Track and Everest easily each cost over $50 million (I don't have the time to look up numbers, but I want to say Everest was over $100 million alone).

Thus, when comparing apples to apples, the cost of the recently added thrill rides that appeal to a limited audience are seemingly far greater individually than the additions made to the MK aimed at children are cumulatively.

As for the reason of the expansion being lopsided, I don't have an answer for that. I would hope it would be based upon examining current attractions and the wait times therefor, and discovering that the more "adult" attractions average less "popularity" than the average "popularity of the "child" attractions. I am sure this was the case for at least Dumbo. I would suspect it played a part in determining what other expansion to undertake, but I will concede that profitable entities likely also played a part in the decision. That said, I think there is a skew towards children and females in all of the Fantasylands; as the "flagship" land, I don't see a huge problem with expanding Fantasyland such that it actually deserves the "flagship" moniker in WDW's MK, and I think the choices were fairly reasonable.

lebeau

I've said this on a couple of threads about the FLE, but I'll say it again here. I find when most people start complaining about something not being for "everybody" they are usually complaining because it's not for them.

Ragetti

I'm a 45-year-old Dad. I work for the military, I own, and like to shoot guns. I also like to ride everything in FL. I want the expansion to be done in time for my now-8-year-old to enjoy it before she becomes a teen, but I'd rather have quality. M&G's are fine, but I'd rather have more dark rides. C'mon Disney.... do what Walt would be doing... THIRLL US!

Krack

I've said this on a couple of threads about the FLE, but I'll say it again here. I find when most people start complaining about something not being for "everybody" they are usually complaining because it's not for them.

Not me, I think they should replace these planned meet & greets with B and C ticket darkrides that everyone can enjoy (like the rest of Fantasyland). One well-themed Meet & Greet spot (not unlike the Animation Building) is enough, imo.

EDIT: The first thing I would have done with the money is plant four dark rides in the Animal Kingdom (ones featuring animals, of course, the Lion King, Bambi, Mr. Toad, etc) - that's the park that really needs it.

wizards8507

Since these threads are all starting to repeat themselves and it's a particularly slow day at work, I'll go ahead and back up lebeau, as I did when he made this point in another thread.

Imagine you completely hate the thought of meet & greets and you never desire to interact with a costumed critter or flowery princess. Personally, I fall into this camp and will not spend one second of my time waiting in line to meet any character.* Regardless of whether you will enjoy these M&Gs, to complain about them is sort of crazy. For every person who sits in line to make birthday cards with a princess, there is one less person standing in line for Splash Mountain or clogging up the walkways with their 8-wheeled commando stroller. The new FLE (including PH if it comes to fruition) will be a sponge to absorb families with young daughters, allowing them to "do their thing," while making space in the park for the rest of us to do ours.

WWoHP has guests waiting to get into a gift shop (Olivander's) that allows TWENTY people at a time, only one of whom actually gets to interact with the shopkeeper. Interactive Meet and Greets have the potential to completely mesmerize an entire demographic, and those not in the target audience should go right ahead and enjoy the rest of the park, enjoying the crowd alleviation that the new attractions will provide, even if the attractions themselves are not for them.

*Unless they bust out a black-and-white Steamboat Willie, for whom I'd wait hours.

lebeau

Not me, I think they should replace these planned meet & greets with B and C ticket darkrides that everyone can enjoy (like the rest of Fantasyland). One well-themed Meet & Greet spot (not unlike the Animation Building) is enough, imo.

EDIT: The first thing I would have done with the money is plant four dark rides in the Animal Kingdom (ones featuring animals, of course, the Lion King, Bambi, Mr. Toad, etc) - that's the park that really needs it.

I like the idea of DAK getting dark rides. I agree, they are needed there.

I'm guessing the cost of multiple B & C ticket dark rides is somewhat larger than the cost of the M&Gs in FLE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom