from uk and need help

shantink

hi i would really apriciate if anybody could help us out...we are a familly of 4 from the uk and we are looking at coming to wdw for our holiday....the only thing is we are really unsure of when to make the trip..we are looking at either this april/may, october or next february i like the heat in summer over hear which is usually 70's top but dont think we could handle much hotter saying that here in uk didnt get any summer last year so really looking forward to some sun also my son dosnt do so well with crowds...so out of these dates which do you think would be the best time to go ..nice weather but not to crowded...
thanks for any help and advice...
shantink...

happymom52003

All three times are really great. Crowd level is about the same for late April-mid May, October, and early February (if you go in February, avoid the days around President's Day which is Feb. 16 next year....it will be very crowded....Also, the super bowl is in Tampa next year on Feb 1, so that is going to make WDW more crowded that weekend).
Late April or May is nice because you have the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. October you will have the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot, and of course all of the Halloween decorations and Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party at the MK.
If the coolest possible weather is your number one priority, then early February would be great. While April/May and October are by no means hot like summer time, it still can get a little uncomfortable for those who hate heat.
You really can't go wrong! If I had to choose for myself, I think late April/mid May would be my first choice, followed by October and then February. We are going in October this year because we have never been during the Halloween season, and we are really looking forward to it.

If crowd level is your top priortiy, you should check out the crowd level prediction calendar on touringplans.com. That way you can look up specific dates and see what the predicted crowd levels are. We always use it to plan our trips...it is wonderful!! http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php?PageID=0

Upvote 0

amandagibbins

Weve been in september the weather is hot and weve been in november and in got pretty cool so i think october would be quite good but im not sure of the crowd at that time of year and you and you family will love it because if its too cold you can warm up in a shop and if its too hot you can cool down in a shop:lol:

Upvote 0

WTBAD

I think April-May would be your best bet. October is a pretty active month in hurricane season. Can be an unpleasant experience. Plus it's still pretty hot in October. February could also be a good time. I don't know what the UK winters are like. But an extended vacation to a moderate climate could be a fun thing to do. But like Happymom said, avoid President's Day in Feb.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Welcome aboard :wave:

How old is your son (is the visit regulated by school holidays)

April/May is good - weather is around 70-80 degrees, crowds should be OK as Easter is in March and Spring break should be just about done. If you're really considering this time then you need to be getting a move on booking fliights, accomodation and meal reservations

October should be OK with crowds and the weather will be slightly cooler as well. Crowds will be affected by any specific US holidays and also Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Partys (special events at MK)

Same really applies for February re crowds and weather

Good luck

Upvote 0

PanfanAL

One thing that can't be promised is the weather. We were there last October and it was still in the 90's during the day. But that is a little unusual. But I have been in February and worn shorts then too. It really never gets very cold there. We aren't really that far away in So. AL, but we get more winter than they do. That area is known for it's citrus production, that should tell you that cold weather is very unusual.

Upvote 0

Princess Clayre

Hi there,

We have travelled from the UK to WDW at nearly all of these times. We got hit by some nasty storms when we travel in October (Epcot was actually shut down the one day) so would maybe avoid this. February is certainly the cooler weather of your mentioned dates. We have been twice around this time and the weather has varied between higher 50's at the lowest and 80's at the highest. We have also had some rain at this time but nothing compared to what we get here in the uk! This year we are going back in early May. It is more guaranteed weather for doing the water parks but can get up into the 90's (even 100) in the peak of the day (2pm - 4pm generally). The crowds are not too bad at any of these times.

We have never been in April because of the easter crowds but as Easter is at the end of March this year it might give you a balance between the heat and crowd levels. I'm not sure when the US holiday are in April so you might want to check on that.

Hope this helps,
Clayre :wave:

Upvote 0

wdwever1

:xmas::xmas:
We have been going to Disney since 1986 every year and have been every month except July..our
favorite time has been the first or second weeks
in Dec. Crowds are "low"..decorations are up and
beautiful...Mickeys Christmas party is available and the weather has never let us down. Warm days and cooler nights..very little rain! This past
year we tried the first 2 weeks in Jan. and they were great too! Decorations still up till Jan. 6th.
Good luck with your decision!

Upvote 0

Philo

As above really. I have been early January and found the weather to be similar to the UK May / June. Not too hot, not too cold although I've heared that the temperatures were above normal for our trip.

If you book for April / May then watch out for spring break and don't go near the Easter holiday weekend as this is very busy.

My Sister went last September just after the UK school holidays finished and she said the crowds were very small.

Without wanting to be rude - does your son suffer from autism etc where crowds are a problem or does he just not like them? I ask because I am incredibly uncomfortable with crowds and standing in lines close to people I dont know (I make heavy use of Tesco's 24 hour opening because I can't take it when its busy). However, at DisneyWorld its somehow different. The crowds were a bit annoying, especially when you had to dart from side to side to get through them, but they weren't distressing.

A couple of tips for you as I'm assuming its your first time
1)Make sure you book any restaurants you want to eat at exactly 180 days before your trip. Especially if you plan to eat at places like the Royal Table which are VERY popular
2)Make use of the UK tickets. They include everything you could want and at a pretty good price. Even if your only staying for 10nights, the 14day pass works out well. Also keep an eye out for 2009 tickets at 2008 prices which should come around fairly soon.
3)Don't forget about the other local attractions. Things like SeaWorld, Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure and the Space Centre really make for a good trip - There not as great as Disney but still worth visiting.

I'm sure you will end up with loads of questions to work out the details though!

Upvote 0

shantink

Original Poster
hi thanks everyone for yor help....it is our first time and with timings at school and everything else trying to find the right time to go is proving difficult as my daughter does her sats next may and my son starts reception in sept he is also under the hospital at the minute with the thought that he may have a form of autism ,had a really bad year last year so need to get away and what a better place to get away from everything if just for a while ...anyway once again thanks for all your replies and hopfully we will be there soon... :wave:

Upvote 0

Ilovewishes

I'm from the UK too and i know what you mean about not liking it too hot! So far, I've been in February/March, September/October and November.

I found November a little bit cool for me, but it was so nice as everything was trimmed up for xmas. We found we were ok in shorts and T-shirts, but we needed a jumper at night and there were a few occassions when we were a bit too cold to hang around for the fireworks.

September/October last year was just wet. Very, very wet. We got soaked everyday! The first week, it was just one small downpour (although it was really lovely and warm even in the rain!) but the second week, it rained quite a bit! However, they were having the Halloween parties then which more than made up for it (unless they were rained off :()

February/March was a good time for us as it was warm, but not too hot and we had clear skies right through! Plus, if you time it right (bearing in mind Spring break), it's not too busy. We had a Pirate and Princess Party when we were there in March.

We're hoping to try May next time as we've heard it's quiet and nice and warm then too!

It depends on what you want. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Hi

I have travelled to disney from the uk the last 3 years ( 4 including this one) and have been 6 times in total, the best time I have found is may, the weather is cooler - less humid but still very warm and the crowds are very quiet, managing to get on most of the rides very quickly and with out much queing.

Also been in june - very hot and wet think due to lots of hurricane activity

July - very hot and very humid with a little rain

september again very wet but still warm - think this was again due to hurricane season

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

teej

We have been twice in October..although it rained a little it was no major worry.
Hoping September will be good for us this year..I would hate it to be a washout..I have been looking forward to this for three years

Upvote 0

figmentmom

If at all possible, I'd go in October, when the weather is pleasant but not too hot. There really isn't any way to avoid crowds entirely at WDW, but early October is nowhere near the gridlock of summer months. Failing that, February might be better - but you'll have to avoid the winter break weeks in mid-February, when we pasty-faced northerners descend on the place like locusts! :ROFLOL:

If your son is autistic, bring a note from your doctor (written on his office letterhead) stating your son's diagnosis, and you wil be entitled to a Guest Assistance Card, which you can obtain at Guest Relations near the entrance of each park. Guest Relations will explain how the card is used. Also, make use of the Fastpass system, to keep your wait times in lines down to a minimum.

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0
I have been going to Disney World for years with the parentals and we always went around June time which is a nice summer time. But last year, we went last minute, at the end of September going into October and i'd highly recommend it, much more than the summer.

It was still fantastically warm. It's was my fiance's first time in florida and disney so it was good that there we're virtually no queues.

I walked on everything, with no exaggeration. The longest line was maybe 5 minutes and the 5 minutes was just because that was the length of the queuing area to the rides.

We also managed to go to the Halloween party at Magic Kingdom which is a bonus, so i'd personally suggest October. OK there's still a bit rain, but when is there not?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom