From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd H

Look at this image below. This lady works for 13-WHAM ABC in Rochester, NY. I cannot believe she would joke about this. Soon after she did, she obviously got a lot of heat and her account was "protected". So disgusting. Just as many of the comments being thrown around here without any actual facts.

kgpelcz.jpg

Despicable. Email sent to feedback@13wham.com. I'd encourage others to do the same.

Tom Morrow

People should stop blaming Disney with the sign nonsense and fence, etc. stop judging Disney on an incident that is 100x less likely than being struck by lightning.
I'm not blaming Disney but I'm not gonna shame the parents for not interpreting a few, sparse, tiny signs that only say "no swimming" as "absolutely at all costs do not go anywhere near the water or a gator will eat you."

hopemax

Fun question for the animal behavior experts: Is it alligator mating season?

My Dad mentioned this when I just talked to him. He hadn't turned on the tv to hear the news . But he did say it was mating season, and I looked it up and it looks like that runs April - June.

He also wondered since there was a beach activity (the movie) did they have a CM patrolling the water's edge. He thought that was a simple precaution that probably should be in effect, for drowning if nothing else.

Phicinfan

People should stop blaming Disney with the sign nonsense and fence, etc. stop judging Disney on an incident that is 100x less likely than being struck by lightning.
For the record, I am not blaming Disney or the parents. This was a horrible occurrence, and all we can do is pray for the family, and for that matter, the families that were there that also saw it. I shudder to think of what I would have to tell my kids if they were on that beach as this was going on.

21stamps

ok. Isn't it night at 9 pm? Again, every parent does things their way and I respect that. But if it were me, my 2 year old would not be in any body of water no matter how shallow by themselves at night. Not a lake, an ocean, a pool, etc.
Apparently these parents agree with you. Their child was not alone either. He was still taken.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Fun question for the animal behavior experts: Is it alligator mating season?
Per google, yes.

Courtship typically is in April, followed by mating in May and June, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. There's more. "Females then seek out appropriate nesting habitats in which to build their nests and lay their eggs," says Kent Vliet, an alligator expert at the University of Florida.May 26, 2011

Larry Mondello

Hypothetical question .. If a alligator was seen in the in the vicinity of a 2 or 3 year old and an alert employee, or "cast-member" happened to have a gun and shot the alligator before it could do any harm would there be as big an outcry as there was when the gorilla was shot in Cincinnati.

me_stitch

Premium Member
I don't think Disney or the parents are to blame, it's just a freak thing. Even if they put signs up every 5 feet saying stay out of the water and beware of alligators, people don't expect this to happen at Disney. My kids wouldn't be any where near that water but I can't fault a family from Nebraska for not realizing that was a bad idea. Prayers to the family.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
You know animals don't actually work on horror movie logic, right?
I can not speak to gators however I read an article regarding Tigers. Tigers are known to hide from humans and stay away from people. Until for one reason or another are forced to hunt a person. After which they tend to hunt people again and again. Now we will never know why this is but according to the article it's because humans are easier prey than their normal food. We tend to be oblivious to danger where other animals are more aware of their surroundings. I bring this up because I want to know if it is possible that gators could work the same way. We have already established that they will go to the same location if it knows it can get free food, so why would it not go after a human again? While it may sound horror movie it's not far from possible.

steviej

Apparently these parents agree with you. Their child was not alone either. He was still taken.

From what I understand, the child was in the water by themselves and the parents were watching from a short distance on the sand.

If it were me, my kid wouldn't be that far from me. But aside from that, I never would've let my kid go into the lake even with him holding my hand at night. But again, I've been to Florida over 20 times so I know there's an alligator presence.

But if I wasn't aware of the alligator presence, my kid still wouldn't have been by themselves. I would've been standing right next to them

Matt_Black

How dare these evil parents let their innocent 2 year old splash on the edge of the water inches away from them at one of the most expensive hotels on Disney property. They should have had him on a leash.

I have to come back to this part. You think because GF is expensive that guests are entitled to go wherever they want or do whatever they want?

Matt_Black

Hypothetical question .. If a alligator was seen in the in the vicinity of a 2 or 3 year old and an alert employee, or "cast-member" happened to have a gun and shot the alligator before it could do any harm would there be as big an outcry as there was when the gorilla was shot in Cincinnati.

Probably not. A) Alligators aren't endangered. B) Gorillas have that "almost human" charm to them. It's hard to feel sympathy for a scaly, cold-blooded eating machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom