News from the New York Times today: "Is a Disney Theme Park Vacation Still Worth the Price?"

Bocabear

We were saying a couple years ago that Disney was starting to tip the bucket...by constant price increases and complexity of planning... they were beginning to damage their reputation for being the Happiest Place On Earth... And in these cases it is always harder to win back over your reputation... In reading the comments on the article, it is clear that they have a problem. We are long term WDW fans and DVC owners....and I have to say, the last few years have certainly tarnished our love for the parks... It has all become too difficult to enjoy....and that is not even discussing the prices. I am hoping they are paying attention to the comments... These are not internet trolls but their customers.... It doesn't look good.

Dear Prudence

Hard to comment on a paywalled article. And no, I'm not bothering to take the time to "figure out how to get around the paywall". If it's not working in Firefox with NoScript blocking everything, I'm not reading it.
Yeah, I was just gonna say, I'd love to Comment on the article itself , but I can't because of the Pay Wall :(

JoeCamel

Aloha,
Are you truly serious?
Basic Econ 101…. Inflation is too many dollars chasing too few products. The Federal Govt has grossly over spent the past three years causing our inflation. Not any corporate greed.
Expand that to the last 7 years of the money machine going whirrrr AND factor in corporate greed (quarterly reports are record breaking in many sectors) and we got record inflation. Prices are not coming down but at least the rate of increase is slowing and wages were a driver since they increased along with the inflation. Not as much but wages sustain even when inflation falls so the pain lessens.
The Fed caused it and the Fed is controlling it though it is seeming to land this thing without another major disruption

Animaniac93-98

If Disney has a pricing problem now, I'm not sure opening new rides 3-5 years from now will help, given how much higher tickets, food and hotel prices will be by then.

I think the Orlando theme park market has become oversaturated. Between Disney, Universal and Sea World, that's 9 theme parks and 4 water parks (more if you count BGT). No one has the time, money or interest to see them all in one trip.

People have already adjusted their trips to account for higher prices like staying off site, eat fewer table service meals, skipping parks etc. The current deals Disney is offering just aren't cutting it and the current consumer trend is to move away from the all in Disney trip where you stay on site, get the dining plan and visit all four parks.

What they announced at D23 feels more like sustaining interest and accommodating existing crowds. It still doesn't solve the problem they created because they believed a few years ago that there was an unlimited supply of customers willing to pay whatever to visit WDW.

SamusAranX

I just read that Goofy's Kitchen prices at the DL Hotel are going up by $10, making it $75 for a meal there?

I nearly choked on my churro. (Just kidding; I'm not a churro fan.)

Guess I'm never having their PB 'n J Pizza again. :(

But seriously, $75?!?! I get it that I'm not rich, but those meals used to be for the middle class, too.
Heading to Peru next month and 75 dollars will cover at least 4 meals and the food will be better then much of Disneys current offering at table service , guaranteed

MarvelCharacterNerd

Heading to Peru next month and 75 dollars will cover at least 4 meals and the food will be better then much of Disneys current offering at table service , guaranteed
In So Cal, it'd buy 4 meals at McDonald's. lol

But if I'm spending $75 on one meal (and I'm not), it'd better involve a higher caliber of food than warmed over mac n' cheese pizza. And I love mac 'n cheese pizza. :D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just read that Goofy's Kitchen prices at the DL Hotel are going up by $10, making it $75 for a meal there?

I nearly choked on my churro. (Just kidding; I'm not a churro fan.)

Guess I'm never having their PB 'n J Pizza again. :(

But seriously, $75?!?! I get it that I'm not rich, but those meals used to be for the middle class, too.
Those parks were designed for and sustained by the middle class.

Which is Disneys big problem
They won’t be able to talk their way around

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom