From Average to Superb to Average.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Having read people's reviews of TS restaurants on these threads,have you dined at a TS in the past and thought it was just average but went back years later and found it to be awesome.And also vice versa,first time was great and next visit years later was pretty average?:wave:

GoochDSA

From our experience, sadly enough, restaurants tend to go from better to worse. The restaurants that to us have gone down hill the most over the last few years are California Grill, 'Ohana, Crystal Palace (dinner), Coral Reef and Narcoossee's.

The restaurants that we have noticed that have improved over the last few years are Raglan Road and HBD (which went from great to awful, but has improved a ton over the last 18 months or so).

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Cheers.

From our experience, sadly enough, restaurants tend to go from better to worse. The restaurants that to us have gone down hill the most over the last few years are California Grill, 'Ohana, Crystal Palace (dinner), Coral Reef and Narcoossee's.

The restaurants that we have noticed that have improved over the last few years are Raglan Road and HBD (which went from great to awful, but has improved a ton over the last 18 months or so).

Gobsmacked that you think CG along with Ohanas and Narcoossees,I've read great reports on them recently,but thanks for your thoughts on this.:wave:

sweetpee_1993

Gobsmacked that you think CG along with Ohanas and Narcoossees,I've read great reports on them recently,but thanks for your thoughts on this.:wave:

I agree on Ohanas. I don't even remember the last time we ate there because it went from wow to meh. I could make a laundry list of restaurants that are much the same at WDW....more than I'd say have improved....

Sharkreef11

The one that comes to mind first would be Chefs de France. The first time we ate there we had the best time on our whole trip and loved every minute of it. The waiter was outstanding, food spectacular, and all around great atmosphere. So naturally we were ecstatic to go back the next year. Almost the complete opposite when we went back. The service was poor and we truly felt unwelcomed almost. The food was mediocre at best and we were squeezed into a tight area with 7 people! Truly bummed us out.

GoochDSA

It's not that the food at CG is bad, it just lacks flavor. It wasn't always this way, but it seems that over the last few visits there, the food has gotten duller and duller. Also, the sushi that everyone raves about is overpriced and nothing special (if you want sushi while in Disney head to Kimonos at the Swan, much better selection, quality and prices IMO). Actually, the only thing that was tastey on our visit to CG in October was the candied bacon ice cream that came with the apple bread pudding (the apple bread pudding wasn't all that great, the ice cream made the dish).

As for 'Ohana and Narcoossee's, I personally don't get how people leave those restaurants happy. 'Ohana has consistantly given us the worst service on property. The pot stickers, wings and noodles all taste like something out of the frozen foods section of any Supermarket and the meats/poultry are dry and tasteless. Again, didn't always used to be this way but as the popularity grew the quality of everything else got worse and worse. This is not to even mention that we have grown to detest the emcee woman and how loud and obnoxious and intrusive on the meal she is. And the fact that they still consider Narcoossee's a "Signature" restaurant is laughable. Everything about the restaurant is subpar from food to service to the atmosphere.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Cheers.

It's not that the food at CG is bad, it just lacks flavor. It wasn't always this way, but it seems that over the last few visits there, the food has gotten duller and duller. Also, the sushi that everyone raves about is overpriced and nothing special (if you want sushi while in Disney head to Kimonos at the Swan, much better selection, quality and prices IMO). Actually, the only thing that was tastey on our visit to CG in October was the candied bacon ice cream that came with the apple bread pudding (the apple bread pudding wasn't all that great, the ice cream made the dish).

As for 'Ohana and Narcoossee's, I personally don't get how people leave those restaurants happy. 'Ohana has consistantly given us the worst service on property. The pot stickers, wings and noodles all taste like something out of the frozen foods section of any Supermarket and the meats/poultry are dry and tasteless. Again, didn't always used to be this way but as the popularity grew the quality of everything else got worse and worse. This is not to even mention that we have grown to detest the emcee woman and how loud and obnoxious and intrusive on the meal she is. And the fact that they still consider Narcoossee's a "Signature" restaurant is laughable. Everything about the restaurant is subpar from food to service to the atmosphere.

Wow,I've a ADR at CG in July,but I will judge it honestly and give my verdict when we get home.Fingers crossed.:wave:

GoochDSA

Wow,I've a ADR at CG in July,but I will judge it honestly and give my verdict when we get home.Fingers crossed.:wave:

For every restaurant I don't care much for, someone loves and for every restaurant I really enjoy someone is going to hate. I alway ssay the best thing to do is to try a restaurant yourself and make your own opinion. Just because some stranger or even a slew of strangers like or don't like a specific restaurant doesn't mean you will feel the same, you never know what you might miss out on. Enjoy!

flpropmgr

And the fact that they still consider Narcoossee's a "Signature" restaurant is laughable. Everything about the restaurant is subpar from food to service to the atmosphere.

I tried Narcoossee's about a year ago. While it wasn't my favorite experience of the trip (Artist Point and Brown Derby were), it was good. I wasn't that pleased with the service, so I grant you that point. The food was good (one side dish was outstanding). Even if food and service are subpar, as you say, I'm not sure why you think atmosphere is poor. We watched Magic Kingdom fireworks from the restaurant, which is situated on the water. Physically, it's a lovely spot.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Spot On.

For every restaurant I don't care much for, someone loves and for every restaurant I really enjoy someone is going to hate. I alway ssay the best thing to do is to try a restaurant yourself and make your own opinion. Just because some stranger or even a slew of strangers like or don't like a specific restaurant doesn't mean you will feel the same, you never know what you might miss out on. Enjoy!

Yep,your right.We dined at a restaurant in the hills north of Los Angeles,frequented by various film stars and we were wondering what was all the fuss about.:wave:

GoochDSA

I tried Narcoossee's about a year ago. While it wasn't my favorite experience of the trip (Artist Point and Brown Derby were), it was good. I wasn't that pleased with the service, so I grant you that point. The food was good (one side dish was outstanding). Even if food and service are subpar, as you say, I'm not sure why you think atmosphere is poor. We watched Magic Kingdom fireworks from the restaurant, which is situated on the water. Physically, it's a lovely spot.

Don't get me wrong, Narcoossee's has food better than a lot of restaurants on property. However, none of those restaurants are Signatures and, IMO, there are a hand full of 1TS restaurants that have better food than Narcoossee's. When there are 1TS restaurants that have better food (and service) than a Signature, to still call that restaurant a "Signature" is laughable, again, IMO.

As for the atmosphere, I agree with you 100% that watching Wishes from the restaurant is a great view. My personal dislike of the atmosphere comes from the difference of what it used to be and what it is now. It used to be a nice, quiet, romantic place to have dinner, but our more recent experiences have been quite the opposite. The food is also not what it used to be. I think those who experienced Narcoossee's years ago have a much different opinion than those who have first tried it more recently, sort of like the whole idea of "you can't miss what you don't know".

Phonedave

The Brown Derby has done the Great to no-so-great and then back to great cycle over the last 4 years or so. (except for the inexcusable decision to remove the mussles appitizer from the menu :) )

Sadly, one of my favorites - Artist Point, has gone from Awsome to just decent. And not because of the berry cobbler Trotsky :) It may be because I have eaten though most of the menu, and they are no longer exciting me.

-dave

Yzma

Here are some restaurants that have changed my mind after a second visit:

'Ohana dinner - first visit was just DH and myself; most of the skewers were over cooked, we were in the corner at a table that was huge for two, felt horribly far apart (it was an anniversary dinner) and no view of fireworks.

That said, we heard through the grapevine it's a better "group" experience. So we booked it when we had family in town - party of 8 - it was FANTASTIC.

California Grill - party of 4 - none of us like our entrees and the server was less than pleasant. Disappointing portions and just overall lackluster experience given the price.

But, it's the CG, so we gave it a second try. Party of 4 again - only ordered appetizers (we all got 2) and desert - it was a million times better (it's amazing the difference a Server can make). Granted, we didn't get entrees the second time.

Brown Derby lunch - visited for my birthday a couple years ago, had the salmon (a favorite food of mine) and feel in love. This was instantly my #1 restaurant on all of property. We had a half circle booth (felt like I Love Lucy) and the atmo performers provided fantastic entertainment.

Took friends to the restaurant just last summer, the salmon I loved was off the menu, AWFUL server, and everything else I loved (booth/performers) were nonexistent. I was utterly crushed.

With all of that - I've eaten at 48/49 Disney Owned Table Service Restaurants (just missing V&A) and 20/32 of the Operating Participant Restaurants (Swan and Dolphin are killing this percentile). I like to think I've had a good variety of experiences and expectations.

After making it through the 48 once, DH and I are currently going back through the list to hit the different meals. So out of that full list, those are the only 3 restaurants we've had such drastically different experiences.

Our top 4 (in no particular order):
Citricos
Kona
Boatwrights
Flying Fish

Of that list, we've only been to Kona twice, the others just once, so opinions could easily change.

bethymouse

So many opinions!

I've never had anything but a magical experience at any of the WDW restaurants!:) I have my favorites: Tony's Town Square, Chef Mickey's, Flying Fish Cafe, and Le Cellier. It does truly depend on the server:goodnevil I have had wonderful waiters @ Whispering Canyon Cafe, Rose & Crown and great birthday experiences @ Shutters Old Port Royale(CBR), HoopDeeDoo( free cakes&songs). They treated my Mom like a princess (70th) and my boys like princes (7th). CapnJacks (DD) was the best waitress! Not so great service @ San Angel Inn (Mexico). It all depends. Make it a magical experince no matter what, and be sure to let the CMs know when you're not satisfied!:slurp:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom