Frivolous greenery update!

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
To those who were annoyed with the sightlines in from of the Crystal Palace looking at the castle, you'll be glad to know that the tree located in that little round about was turned into a 2 foot high pile of mulch last night.
For those of us not sure to what you are referring, does anyone have photos?
Before and after?

Zweiland

Nooooo!

I don't know exactly which tree you speak of, but I do know that any removal of greenery in the already desolate-looking Hub is a step in the wrong direction. Bring it back to when it looked like this:

image.jpg

networkpro

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Sorry I dont with all the hulabaloo of Thudermountains' new water effects, the monorail going down, Sorcerers of the magic kingdom being on the fritz, and ADRs for Boma tonight I just saw it in a glance. I passed by it last night during MVMC with the fastpast photographer and his frame at work, and then again today on my way to dinner.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
To those who were annoyed with the sightlines in from of the Crystal Palace looking at the castle, you'll be glad to know that the tree located in that little round about was turned into a 2 foot high pile of mulch last night.

That makes me so ill. Disney use to believe in being Green. Right now my Six Flags has more Green than the MK. And their fountains have water in them, not dirt. Disney, Disney, Disney. :banghead:

six-flags-great-america-grand-carousel1.jpg

JohnD

It's not like any of MK was natural to begin with. It was built from the ground up. They had to put in trees. It's not like the trees already grew there. I can see the point of not relocating it but that's it.

Zweiland

It's not like any of MK was natural to begin with. It was built from the ground up. They had to put in trees. It's not like the trees already grew there. I can see the point of not relocating it but that's it.
Theme parks are 50% vistas and sightlines, and greenery has much to do with that. I think the reason I liked Disneyland's castle better was not because of the building itself, but because of the trees and landscaping surrounding it.

Unplugged

No worries, they can all be replaced with special added graphics in your PhotoPass photos. All it takes is..."OK, now stand with your arms crossed and pretend to be leaning against something and basking in it's shade! Great thanks. NEXT!"...and you photos when you get home will have trees!

I know it's all about the fireworks shows, but as much as I like the shows, I prefer the trees. It's getting too sparse.

jdmdisney99

Theme parks are 50% vistas and sightlines, and greenery has much to do with that. I think the reason I liked Disneyland's castle better was not because of the building itself, but because of the trees and landscaping surrounding it.
Yep. Disneyland's castle may be smaller, but it is far more comforting as it is hugged by the large trees in the beck and foreground. The one thing in DL that irks me is the Fantasyland theater behind it.

Gabe1

Disney use to be all about trees. Not chain sawing trees. They imported them from around the country to fit themes. When they opened Dixie Landings they transplanted this tree near the main pool area.

4_treemove3.jpg

ltg002000SMALL.jpg

Over thirty years ago a majestic 130-year-old live oak tree (Quercus virginiana) was found on the eastern part of the Disney property and moved about eight miles to the MK.

Last edited:

Fairybuzz

Disney use to be all about trees. Not chain sawing trees. They imported them from around the country to fit themes. When they opened Dixie Landings they transplanted this tree near the main pool area.

4_treemove3.jpg

ltg002000SMALL.jpg

Over thirty years ago a majestic 130-year-old live oak tree (Quercus virginiana) was found on the eastern part of the Disney property and moved about eight miles to the MK.

Omg don't give me a near heart attack like that I thought your post was gonna be that the liberty tree is gone.

I haven't been in the tavern in a while, but I remember coincidentally meeting my friend Amy there and making quite a scene.

Fairybuzz

That makes me so ill. Disney use to believe in being Green. Right now my Six Flags has more Green than the MK. And their fountains have water in them, not dirt. Disney, Disney, Disney. :banghead:

six-flags-great-america-grand-carousel1.jpg

Thats actually pretty accurate. This pic seems to be from Great America which I haven't been to but Great Adventure in the spring and summer can be GORGEOUS. It has that beautiful lake, and a nice quiet bench area in the middle beneath a canopy of trees. They may deface their theming with over doing adverts and crumby rap music in the wild west but pictures taken at certain angles could be mistaken for those of a national park.

and you can see it all cuz THEY still have their skyride :p (a fun fact the SF GADV Skyride was that from the 64 worlds fair so disney is not the only park to keep WF rides alive today)

Gabe1

Thats actually pretty accurate. This pic seems to be from Great America which I haven't been to but Great Adventure in the spring and summer can be GORGEOUS. It has that beautiful lake, and a nice quiet bench area in the middle beneath a canopy of trees. They may deface their theming with over doing adverts and crumby rap music in the wild west but pictures taken at certain angles could be mistaken for those of a national park.

and you can see it all cuz THEY still have their skyride :p (a fun fact the SF GADV Skyride was that from the 64 worlds fair so Disney is not the only park to keep WF rides alive today)

The Great America park is pretty and Green. It was built by Marriott and they do things well. It was themed to yesteryear america in lands much like the MK. It was opened for the countries centennial so much of theming went in the patriotic direction. The US Flag is always seen from miles away. The landscaping and fountains are amazing and across the huge fountain the first thing you see is the pretty two story carousel.

From day one it was landscaped and the trees have been allowed to grow. And yes, they payed tribute to the Worlds Fair. You can see it and the wooden coasters from the highway and some of the water park but most is tucked in from the tollway by beautiful, mature trees.Years ago they added a water park and is included with admission. They use the same lifeguard system as Disney, they don't fool around when safety is concerned. For a park that is only open 5+ months a year it is a jewel that is always having major attractions added to it.
Worth a visit. When my kids were younger we always had APs.

whizzer02.jpg

Tree's, big beautiful, shade trees!!!

Fairybuzz

The Great America park is pretty and Green. It was built by Marriott and they do things well. It was themed to yesteryear america in lands much like the MK. It was opened for the countries centennial so much of theming went in the patriotic direction. The US Flag is always seen from miles away. The landscaping and fountains are amazing and across the huge fountain the first thing you see is the pretty two story carousel.

From day one it was landscaped and the trees have been allowed to grow. And yes, they payed tribute to the Worlds Fair. You can see it and the wooden coasters from the highway and some of the water park but most is tucked in from the tollway by beautiful, mature trees.Years ago they added a water park and is included with admission. They use the same lifeguard system as Disney, they don't fool around when safety is concerned. For a park that is only open 5+ months a year it is a jewel that is always having major attractions added to it.
Worth a visit. When my kids were younger we always had APs.

I get a pass for great adventure every year. Although their theming is slowly collapsing, and theres a safari outpost in the wild west (WHAT???) they are starting to bring back its classic feel even printing the old logo on some rides. Great adventure from what I've read was set up to become a disneyland of nj type of planned park. They were gonna have an alice in wonderland ride and some sort of wizard of oz section and all this stuff and they started with a runaway train with its station in a grand fort. They were gonna make it a walkthrough orginally too (the fort not the train lol!)
Six flags bought it the next year, and the last time I was there when it felt like a full theme park was I think 2006 or something then they lost most of my fav rides and mixed everything up. :(
Still enjoy it though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom