French Quarters vs. Animal Kingdom?

JessicaG

I've spent some time on the site reading various threads and I still need some help and opinions.

BTW: Wonderfull site you have here. Plethera of information.

My sisters and I have planned a trip for my mother's 60th B-day. She has always wanted to go to WDW, and now we are making arrangements for this to happen for her. The entire family will be going. Oh Yeah!! :sohappy:
We have three parties going for sure, and two debating. My mother would like to stay at the French Quarters, and I am leaning toward Animal Kingdom. She feels we all need to be in the same resort....I agree...as long as the resort best suited for ALL is chosen. My husband and I have a four year old. I need some good points for persuading my family members to spend the extra money, and stay at Animal Kingdom, my original choice.

Therefore, those of you that have stayed at either resort, or perhaps both, I (WE) would like to hear your input. Remember, there is but one child...well, two if you count my husband...and the rest are adults.

What's the best place for first timers?

Jessica

jesserin

Budget wise - I'd say stick with French Quarter - nice resort. But if your family is well off enough that you know they could afford AKL then by all means keep pushing - there is a huge difference in the resorts as AKL (Savannah view room of course) is a one of a kind resort - in fact, if you really want to go the extra mile, you and your family should book a deluxe savannah room - more space for your four year old to stretch their legs - and if nothing else - you could have some of them book standard views and request to be near each other - so that they could enjoy the view from your room (only do this if price is a huge factor - otherwise everyone get the Savannah view rooms)

All in all, AKL is def the better of the two - however, French Quarter is not a bad choice by all means... it's a beautiful, newly refurb'd resort with a wonderful ferry to Downtown Disney - very nice...

Good Luck with your planning - hope it all goes well for you!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Could you pick two more WILDLY different resorts??? Price is a HUGE Factor and really may be the determining item.
French Quarter/ Riverside is probably my favorite among the Moderate resorts. I am usually more into Riverside although they are sister resorts, sit side by side and you can use the amenities from both while staying at either one. My Mom adored French Quarter as it isnt such a big place and didnt require a whole lot of walking, which is nice after a full day in the parks. The sit down restaurant which is located in Riverside has one of the best ala carte breakfast menus anywhere on property. The service is great and done with warm Southern Hospitality and the menu selections are excellent.
Animal Kingdom Lodge I havent had the opportunity to stay here as of yet but I have seen the inside of the rooms there thanks to a friend of mine who was staying there in December. The rooms are bigger than the Moderates and have two queens size beds as opposed to two full size which is what the Moderates offer. As Jesserin has said the real reason to stay at this resort is to get a Savannah View Room, which can be pretty pricey. The price difference between AKL and French Quarter will probably be between 80-100 dollars a night per room!! That can add up pretty quickly. The decor of the rooms is really lovely and the bathrooms were exceptionally well done. I loved Boma for breakfast which is a buffet, but I really didnt care for it for dinner as the food was a bit too exotic for me.
Either resort is a great choice and you will be in Disney so how bad could it be?? Any resort owned, run and operated by Disney has my full confidence. The higher you go the more amenities you will have the option to do. Hope this helps!! Belle

Upvote 0

cj2me

I've stayed at both resorts and it is unfair to compare the two. As the previously stated, PRICE is the factor. FQ is my favorite MOD Resort and AKL is my fav DELUXE. I can't say anything bad about either. What time of the year are you going, if it's during value season I would definetly push for AKL.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Upvote 0

JessicaG

Original Poster
We are going in July to WDW. The reviews are awesome, I think thats why I'm having the problems with the family, they can't justify the $ jump between moderate and deluxe.

Jessica

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Yeah I understand the feeling. I usually face the same dilemma. I have a thought, why not invest in AP's for your immediate family, do the Moderates this time with the group and do the Animal Kingdom Lodge with your immediate family next time, while getting the room discounts offered for AP holders on both?? Belle

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If price is an issue stay at PO and eat dinner or lunch at AKL. When you have people haggling about the price of a room no amount of amenities will ever win the argument. The room size at PO and AKL is roughly the same but there is no comparison between the two resorts. I don’t know of any other resort in the US that you can go out on your balcony and see giraffes.

Upvote 0

crazycalf

Do the other families have young kids too?

If so let them know about simba's cubhouse. It's some kind of like babysitting service, I don't know exactly since i don't have kids. But I don't think PO has this.

Upvote 0

jesserin

crazycalf said:
Do the other families have young kids too?

If so let them know about simba's cubhouse. It's some kind of like babysitting service, I don't know exactly since i don't have kids. But I don't think PO has this.
To further that - Simba's Cubhouse is wonderful - I know lots of people that have dropped their kids off their for a night out and find the kids don't want to leave when they return.

Port Orleans does not offer any child services.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom