Free WiFi at the world

matthope03

Original Poster
It is being reported that free WiFi internet access is going to be offered at the Walt Disney World resort. It is my understanding that currently the Wide World of Sports complex is already up and running, and the resorts should not be far behind. All users will have to accept a terms of agreement before being allowed to use the service. Disney has also set up a support line for the WiFi service as well.

Bluewaves

That would be cool , park up dates during my stay and without having to pay to get online to check movie times and the weather. Awesome!!!:sohappy:

Cindyrella

Free WiFi would be great! Do you know when it might start? I'm going to be down there early October. I'm staying at PC. Do you think they will be offering free WiFi by then?

matthope03

Original Poster
Considering all the resorts are already wired for internet access it should not take a very long time for it to be implemented in all the resorts. My guess would be by October which we all know is the start of the next celebration.

wannab@dis

It is being reported that free WiFi internet access is going to be offered at the Walt Disney World resort. It is my understanding that currently the Wide World of Sports complex is already up and running, and the resorts should not be far behind. All users will have to accept a terms of agreement before being allowed to use the service. Disney has also set up a support line for the WiFi service as well.
Where is this being reported?

Since they just finished adding "wired" HSIA to all the resorts just recently (2005, I think??) with it being based on a pay-to-use system, this seems like a strange change. I would be very happy, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

With every resort guest having access to "free" internet, it would create a large demand that would be a significant strain on a network. It would require a large backbone connection that would be expensive to maintain. It's also a huge expense and undertaking to create a WiFi network large enough to handle the Disney resorts.

This is intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing if it actually happens.

matthope03

Original Poster
I'm sure everyone on here at least looks at some of the other boards from other sites. Jason over at Intercot is the one reporting this. Anyone who is not familiar with Jason, he does a tidbits section every couple of weeks on the happenings at the world. This was in his report for today. It is unclear if it will only be offered in designated areas, but I wouldn't doubt him on this one. Especially since Disney is looking more towards advanced technology.

wannab@dis

I'm sure everyone on here at least looks at some of the other boards from other sites.

They do? :p

Jason over at Intercot is the one reporting this. Anyone who is not familiar with Jason, he does a tidbits section every couple of weeks on the happenings at the world. This was in his report for today. It is unclear if it will only be offered in designated areas, but I wouldn't doubt him on this one. Especially since Disney is looking more towards advanced technology.
Ok... "designated areas" makes more sense. Your first post didn't mention that fact and seemed to imply that this would be "resort" wide and include the guest rooms.

I just checked those "tidbits" and I'm not seeing anything that mentions other locations... only Wide World of Sports.

Wi-Free

For the first time, Disney is now offering free Wi-Fi internet access on Walt Disney World Resort property. Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex has begun to offer free Wi-Fi service to its guests in select areas. The service requires guests to have open encryption and accept a terms of agreement. Technical support is available for this free service via 407-828-8015.

cmatt

Where is this being reported?

Since they just finished adding "wired" HSIA to all the resorts just recently (2005, I think??) with it being based on a pay-to-use system, this seems like a strange change. I would be very happy, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

With every resort guest having access to "free" internet, it would create a large demand that would be a significant strain on a network. It would require a large backbone connection that would be expensive to maintain. It's also a huge expense and undertaking to create a WiFi network large enough to handle the Disney resorts.

This is intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing if it actually happens.

i dunno - if they are smart enough there will be strict usage policy - like the wifi ive supported at the edinburgh film festival. Although smaller scale it still served its purpose.... :lookaroun i.e each ip leased to a mac address had to be renewed every hour and thus the user getting booted off - then they had to resign back in - this helped us prevent pro longed data transfers.

We also had all ports bar some needed for the most basic web browsing (even remote desktop and ftp were locked down). Although this wont prevent the most devout l337 hax0RR from wanting to exploit the network - how many of these will be staying on disney property? :lol:, also the amout of data per user as it were limited.

The only way i could see them adding a wee bit of security would to by default supply the guests with the user name and default password (in which the user HAS to change on first time login).

I mean normal web activity wont need that much i dont think to get it going - no more then the wired connection at least.

I think its great - and will add another potential benefit to the end user, not many people will be bringing their laptops to use whilst staying at the world . If this goes ahead it will open up the flood gates to other hotels who also run pay as you go schemes (via wireless) to perhaps open up a more restricted service but none the less allow the user to browse the internet....

er geek stuff over and done with :)

Diztechie

No, no, didn't kill it, just made it interesting. Hmmmm, that would be some network to poke around in. Not that I would think about it my next trip down, after being asked to pay an exorbitant amount for broadband access in the Boardwalk...

Of course, if $tarbuck$ and McDonald's can offer free WiFi, why not WDW?:sohappy:

mickeysaver

Odd that this comes up now. I would love for them to offer this in 3 weeks at CBR. I am not looking forward to having to pay internet access, so that I can get my seat upgrade done on AirTran the day before we leave. But, I will do what I have to do.

If they offered the free access, it would be awesome! Maggie

Yoop33

I thought I heard this a while ago... And I also thought someone mentioned that Magic Kingdom offered it in some areas.
I for one don't see it happening for atleast a year if not more.

WDWRLD

It could be a play on disneys words. "Free" internet is already offered at the resorts but the catch is only the disney.com is free. If you want to go any further you got to shell out the bucks. This is on the in room data port behind the night stand. All they need to do is hchange around the way they bill you and add some wireless routers and you have "free" internet at disney.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I really dont see this ending up as a free service. Given that Disney charges for in room connections I forsee this as being a part of that daily fee. Pay 9.95 and get access to high speed connection in room and WiFi on property where offered.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
It would be nice to have in the parks, that way I could stop having to go to Innoventions and could instead use my PSP. :lol:

Scooter

I can see this happening in the future.

The town near where I live near (Aurora, Illinois) is installing wifi everywhere within city limits at no cost to the users

It's just a matter of time before it happens everywhere.

It will become a bargaining chip.

I can see it now...Come to Universal Studios..we offer wifi thoughout our parks.

Come to Sea World...we have Wifi

The advertisements basically pay for the service so it wouldn't be difficult to do or be that expensive.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
With more and more fast food establishments offering this, I figured it was only a matter of time before other businesses used it as an advertising chip.

The internet is changing, even AOL is totally revamping their stategies.

Baums101

Free WiFi would be great! Do you know when it might start? I'm going to be down there early October. I'm staying at PC. Do you think they will be offering free WiFi by then?
Most likely seeing as they already have internet in the resorts so now all they need to do is drop the payment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom