Free Resort Upgrades

PurpleDragon

I was talking with my wife the other night about our upcoming trip to WDW and she and I got on the subject of the free resort upgrades. Are these still given out? If they are do they just give them out randomly or is there usually a code you have to give the CM? I would love to stay at a deluxe resort but we can't afford it this year, would be nice to get an upgrade somehow. Anyone got any info on this sort of thing?

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
My experience is that they are random, depending on the CM you get and your particular situation at check-in. We received a free upgrade to concierge when we stayed at the Contemporary because they didn't have our room ready upon arrival. We also got a free upgrade to savanna view room at AKL because we had a short stay and told the CM we were celebrating our little one's birthday.

My wife always tries to be very friendly with the staff and mention any special occasions we're celebrating (mention these when you book as well and they'll be in your file) during check in.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

I was talking with my wife the other night about our upcoming trip to WDW and she and I got on the subject of the free resort upgrades. Are these still given out? If they are do they just give them out randomly or is there usually a code you have to give the CM? I would love to stay at a deluxe resort but we can't afford it this year, would be nice to get an upgrade somehow. Anyone got any info on this sort of thing?

yes they do... when we booked our Disneymoon we split our stay. We had 2 nights at the Poly and 10 nights at the Beach Club.

When we booked the Poly, I basically said to my agent... "I've always wanted to stay there, but I know the rack rates are well, expensive, so please get me the cheapest room."

When the Bell Hop picked us up, he looked at our slip and said "oh, nice view". I thought he was playing with me and making fun that all I could really afford was a garden view. We drove up to the Tahiti building and I had a Space Mountain view room. It was amazing.

I guess my agent marked everything as "Honeymoon" but the CM at the desk never mentioned any type of upgrade.

Kingdom Konsultants is awesome!

Upvote 0

Lucyred

Good to know! I did mention it when I booked everything but I'll be sure to be to me and DD be super sweet when we check in and mention its DH's birthday week! :D

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Good to know! I did mention it when I booked everything but I'll be sure to be to me and DD be super sweet when we check in and mention its DH's birthday week! :D

I actually didn't mention we were just married nor ask for an upgrade. I think that kind of stuff is frowned upon by people in the hospitality world. You don't want to appear to be digging for freebies.

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!! Guess its just the luck of the draw then. I asked because my kids have never seen any other resorts outside of Pop and CB. I would love to stay at WL or Boardwalk one day. Guess we'll just have to save up.

I'm always nice to the CMs when I'm in WDW, I've worked in customer service so I know how much it sucks when customers have a bad attitude.

Upvote 0

stichrules

We once got upgraded from a value to a deluxe. This was in 2009. We got an email from Disney and was gievn a number to call. We were originally booked at All-stars music, we usually stayed in Mods, but were doing this trip on the cheap. About a 2 months before we get this email, saying we have been upgraded and to call. Of course I thought it was a come on for DVC. When I talked with the CM he stated that there was no catch and that they do this from time to time to get people to stay at a Deluxe that they normally would not do and then maybe next time they would book a deluxe. Anyways we were moved to a studio at Saratoga Springs but we end up getting a 2 BR villa when we checked in. It was one of our best stays ever.

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I actually didn't mention we were just married nor ask for an upgrade. I think that kind of stuff is frowned upon by people in the hospitality world. You don't want to appear to be digging for freebies.

No you don't want to come right out and ask for upgrades, but when you book in advance through Disney they almost always ask if you are celebrating anything special. The CM at the resort will then be able to see this when they pull up your res during check in. I have also had the CM at check in ask this same question when there was nothing in our file. Nothing wrong with mentioning in conversation with the CM, and it's been our experience that they want to make your trip special and will do so if they can.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Free upgrades are increasingly rare and are done based on the operational needs of the resort. What that boils down to in most cases is if they will move you from your standard room into a better room if doing so will allow them shut down a section of the resort and make house keeping more efficient. Getting a full blow resort upgrade (value to moderate, moderate to deluxe) is even more uncommon. It is typically done due to rooms going out of service (closed to repair AC, excessive cleaning, etc), over booking or as a DVC promotion.

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Master Yoda said:
Free upgrades are increasingly rare and are done based on the operational needs of the resort. What that boils down to in most cases is if they can move you from your standard room into a better room if doing so will allow them shut down a section of the resort and make house keeping more efficient. Getting a full blow resort upgrade (value to moderate, moderate to deluxe) is even more uncommon. It is typically done do to rooms going out of service (closed to repair AC, excessive cleaning, etc), over booking or as a DVC promotion.

Ahh ok, that makes complete sense!! Always wondered what went into the decision making process on that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Last June I booked a standard room at CBR never being there before-the resort is huge! At the time I was 34 weeks pregnant and I was lucky to get a preferred room very close to the eatery/pool. I didn't even ask but was grateful!

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Last June I booked a standard room at CBR never being there before-the resort is huge! At the time I was 34 weeks pregnant and I was lucky to get a preferred room very close to the eatery/pool. I didn't even ask but was grateful!

I think being 34 weeks pregnant played a huge role in that, giving you a preferred room is just common courtesy in my opinion. I know I would have if I was the CM checking you in, no reason to make a pregnant woman walk the 1.5 miles around that damned lagoon. LOL!!:D

Upvote 0

loveformickey

I have never been upgraded to a different room. I do mention when I book if we are celebrating anything special with the hopes of a surprise but never expect it or try to push to get it. I keep wishing and hoping and maybe some day we will get a surprise but all in all I am just excited to be at Disney. My family and I are going to go this year at the end of Nov. beginning of Dec. and we are taking my two young nieces (ages 5 and 2) for the first time! I will probably mention that this will be their first time at Disney and maybe we will get a surprise. If not, I can't wait to see their faces when they see Cinderella's castle for the first time. I am SO excited!!!:D

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

We were upgraded a few weeks ago on our honeymoon, we did a split stay, 4 days at Contemporary in a Theme Park View, and then 5 days at BW, we had a regular room booked. I had checked online to see how much it would be to add a Boardwalk view to our room, and there were none available, infact the BW was completely booked according to online. I decided to call and ask, and they said unfortunately there wasn't anything available, so i said thanks anyways. When we checked in, they said that our room was almost ready, and explained that they were upgrading us to a two bedroom suite on club level. We were suprised, when we thanked them and asked why, they said that Cinderella does that from time to. When we told another CM about it, they said that they really try to upgrade people on their Honeymoons if possible, so not sure if that is the case or not.

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

We got upgraded once at YC. I had booked a garden view for a few days after our cruise. When I checked in the CM noticed that we had just been there 5 nights before. I told we had left for our cruise and were now back. He asked about the cruise and I told him it was great except that some one had apparently taken our luggage as their own. He told me "I am so sorry and we greatly value your repeat business so I have upgraded you to a larger room with a water view" I almost passed out!!! Some one taking our bags was in no was Disney's fault let alone WDW's fault! I happened to get a call from DCL while I was standing there saying the person had noticed at the airport (thankfully Orlando airport) that they had taken someone else's bag and they would bring it to use via DME. The CM checking me in heard and asked if we had planned on going to a park and I told him yes, but since it was Epcot I didn't mind coming back to get the suitcase, but he said not to worry about it. Sure enough when we got back that night out suitcase was waiting for us. I was happy about that, but is it wrong that I was secretly hoping to have to buy a Disney wardrobe?

Upvote 0

jmargarone27

My cousin worked at the Grand Floridian convention center years ago, so we would always book there. Usually a garden view. Every time we would pull up to the entrance we were whisked away to Sugar Loaf! It was so nice...happened like 3 times. Then he moved to Boardwalk and couldn't do much about upgrading us. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Saratoga Springs but we end up getting a 2 BR villa when we checked in. It was one of our best stays ever.
We're booked in a studio. I am hoping to get a "free upgrade" to a 1 bedroom villa. My hubby might ask about it. We have never been "upgraded", but we have always been honored our room request if available ( closest to restaurants, shops, etc...).:D

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Chances are probably better for upgrades for shorter stays. There has to be an opening in the higher room category or alternate resort equal to your stay. There's more likely to be extra space to fill for less than a week vs. week+ stays. Not saying week+ folks have never been upgraded, It seems more common for the shorter stays. :)

Upvote 0

SecondStarTilMorning

We had a free upgrade to club level at wilderness lodge once. We requested high floor and that's where they put us! Didn't realize until half way through our first day that we were in club level- I didn't even know what club level was!

Anyhow, if you want an upgrade go during low season (january/feb). That will greatly increase your chances.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom