Free 'John Carter' screening for D23 members

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2012/02/john-carter.jpg

In what’s likely an effort to spark positive word-of-mouth for Disney’s blockbuster film “John Carter,” D23 members in select cities across the United States are being offered a chance to see the movie for free at early preview screenings.

Screenings will take place the week of March 5, 2012, leading up to the March 9 full release of the film. Cities included in the screening offer are: Albany, Albuquerque, Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Fresno, Ft. Lauderdale, Grand Rapids, Hartford, Honolulu, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City (KS), Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, New York City, Norfolk, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, Washington DC, and West Palm Beach.

Free tickets for 3D screenings of “John Carter” will be made available on Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 11 a.m. PST on this D23 web page: http://d23.disney.go.com/events/2012/02/28/d23s-john-carter-cross-country-screenings/. The limited number of tickets will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis to D23 members in good standing plus one guest each, with valid photo ID and D23 membership card needed for entrance.

Having seen “John Carter” myself in a press screening a few days ago, I whole-heartedly encourage each and every D23 member to take advantage of this offer. While my full film review is embargoed until its countrywide release date on March 9, I will say that despite what you may think about the film from its messy marketing and less-than-stellar reactions from the clips shown at the 2011 D23 Expo, “John Carter” is a film worth seeing. (Check back on March 9 for my full thoughts on the movie.)

“John Carter” is based on the classic novel, “A Princess of Mars” by Edgar Rice Burroughs, best known for writing Tarzan. Though it’s tough to gather the plot from the trailers that Disney has released, the film tells the story of a Civil War-era captain John Carter who gets mysteriously transported to Mars and thrust into a battle to save the planet from domination.

http://www./2012/02/free-john-carte...ney-d23-members-throughout-the-united-states/

graphite1326

I just bought the first book of the series. I am going to read at least a few of the books before I go to see the movie. Does anyone know how far into the series the movie goes?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
I just bought the first book of the series. I am going to read at least a few of the books before I go to see the movie. Does anyone know how far into the series the movie goes?

No idea. You'll probably have to wait and read some of the reviews to get a sense of how far it goes. I didn't realize it was a series. I wonder how far Disney would take them if this movie does well?

MKCP 1985

Very cool -

I won't be able to take advantage of this offer, but it is good to see D23 expanding its offerings to members, as they have promised to do in 2012.

graphite1326

Wow I am well into the book. I hope the movie is as good as the book is so far. Very adventurous.

I looked into the history of the series a little more. Turns out my favorite artist did the artwork for some of the covers (Frank Frazetta). Really liking this now.

wilkeliza

I got my tickets to NYC Lincoln Center. It sold out in about 20 minutes or less. There are tickets for several other cities still. I guess I didn't expect there to be so many D23 members in NYC.

9bwoulfe

i hope they don't do this because the movie is going to be an epic flop. they need to milk this thing as much as possible if they are looking to break even.

topgun6566

I'm going to this in Hollywood Studios tomorrow. Any idea how many seats are in teh Premiere Theatre? I've never been in it before.

wilkeliza

I imagine this movie will last about 3 weeks tops.....
The trailer looks so bad, I may not bother watching it at all.

A lot of reviewers who can't say much just yet are saying don't let the trailers fool you. It is suppose to be much much better than the trailers have ever let us imagine.

MMFanCipher

Wow, I'm glad everyone is keeping an open mind about the movie! :)

I too have my reservations about the movie, but I'm going to see it,
because I liked the books so much. Yes, I know the movie rarely lives
up to the book. I'm just hoping they haven't changed the plot so much
that it isn't the same story. They also should have kept the title as "John
Carter of Mars". I understand why they changed the title from "A Princess
of Mars". Disney didn't want to be labeled as doing another "Princess" movie.
"John Carter" just doesn't give you any idea what the movie is about. Maybe
that's what they were going for? :shrug:

Anyway, I hope it turns out to be decent.

Cmdr_Crimson

this movie looks like it sucks... sure disney bankrolled it but this isnt a "disney" film

True and look what happened to Prince of Persia and the hopes of that..I remember they were going to go big with it with 2 more movies if it did good..Guess will wait and see.

topgun6566

I just saw John Carter at Hollywood Studios today and I simply loved it. If you like fantasy, Sci-fi, adventure movies at all, give it a shot. I think it is funny people who say that a movie sucks before even seeing it. I'm sure back in the day people said the same about Star Wars because they wouldn't open their mind.

Give it a shot or at least rent went it comes out. Just a fun movie to watch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom