Free 'in-room' wireless internet starting at most Walt Disney World Resorts today

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
On a side note here....

Those that have unlimited data usage should not allow their carrier to change you to the useless 2GB plan if you call to make some minor addition or change to your policy, like adding messaging or something. ATT tried to do that and I did not authorize them to make the change so I ended up with a huge bill from them one month and I called, made them change it back since I did not authorize it, and they removed the charges. Don't allow your carrier to switch you if you did not say it was okay. If they originally offered the Unlimited to you and that was your plan then they can't simply change it without asking you first. It is a breach of contract and you can go elsewhere without the early termination fee applying.

Agree. We are getting ready to add our daughter to our plan and thats going to be my first question. This will not affect my unlimited data usage correct? If it does, then we will find her some cheap text and phone service through another carrier.

Disaddict

Agree. We are getting ready to add our daughter to our plan and thats going to be my first question. This will not affect my unlimited data usage correct? If it does, then we will find her some cheap text and phone service through another carrier.

It shouldn't. I have had unlimited data on my phone for a while now and we added a data plan on our daughter's phone but they would only allow the 2GB service. :( That was the time I was talking about before. They changed my plan to 2GB without even asking me and I freaked when I saw the bill. They changed it back and removed the charges and I told them not to touch my plan again.

lens300

Just tested the Wireless and the wired at jambo house. Wireless 8Mb down and 2 up the wired was only 1 down and 512 up. I think i will stick to the wifi

Disaddict

It would apear that youtube is blocked. It works off the wired but not with the wireless.

I can see Disney wanting to have a measure of control over what the wireless that can be seen by anyone walking by your device. They probably have some sort of half decent filter on the system. In your room it wouldn't really matter since you are the only one to see that screen. But if you're at the pool or in the lobby and are viewing something questionable then a child could glance by and see it.

Polydweller

It would apear that youtube is blocked. It works off the wired but not with the wireless.

Yep it is. Can't get there directly and in Facebook embedded YouTube shows as access denied because the content is r rated. I didn't know that the PGA tour and NASA did that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can see Disney wanting to have a measure of control over what the wireless that can be seen by anyone walking by your device. They probably have some sort of half decent filter on the system. In your room it wouldn't really matter since you are the only one to see that screen. But if you're at the pool or in the lobby and are viewing something questionable then a child could glance by and see it.
It might be more about limiting bandwidth than content.

Disaddict

It might be more about limiting bandwidth than content.

I actually never considered that. Good point. :wave: The courthouse here where I work blocks that kind of site(and many many many others with this God awful Barracuda Web Filter). It is a constant pain in my *** to try to go to a truly safe for work site only to get blocked and have to send a request in to the IT dept. But they do it because of content. With the tons of visitors that Disney has I can see your point though. Limit the amount of downstream so the whole network doesn't get log jammed. ;)

I remember predicting free wireless internet at the resorts months and months ago. I made a thread about it and everyone jumped on me, saying it wouldn't happen anytime soon. I'm chuckling to myself now that it came true. :lol:

lt94

wi fi test

other sites are reporting this is only a test for wi fi, it also has been reported at the end we will be charged 9.95 per day for use. Not sure how this will work will we have wifi in parks, what if I go to another resort for a visit will I have wi fi will this be extended to downtown area. all questions unans

Disaddict

other sites are reporting this is only a test for wi fi, it also has been reported at the end we will be charged 9.95 per day for use. Not sure how this will work will we have wifi in parks, what if I go to another resort for a visit will I have wi fi will this be extended to downtown area. all questions unans

Where did you hear that at?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I don't see Disney doing a test this widespread. If so, not one of the best business decisions they could make. You put the perception out there that there is complementary wifi, then you take it away. If this were a test you might see it tested at one resort, or one section of one resort, not a large number of resorts. The way I see this going is that its probably going to be complimentary at the Deluxe and convention based resorts and a daily charge at the other resorts.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't see Disney doing a test this widespread. If so, not one of the best business decisions they could make. You put the perception out there that there is complementary wifi, then you take it away. If this were a test you might see it tested at one resort, or one section of one resort, not a large number of resorts. The way I see this going is that its probably going to be complimentary at the Deluxe and convention based resorts and a daily charge at the other resorts.
Has Disney been promoting free wifi or even that they have it at all? A search of the official blog turned up nothing and the official site shows wifi as requiring an additional fee under room amenities. I'll wager most people do not even know it is there.

Disaddict

Agreed. Although I think that it will be complimentary at all Deluxe and Moderates but a charge per 24hr period at Values.

Brian Noble

I made a thread about it and everyone jumped on me, saying it wouldn't happen anytime soon.
I admit it. I never expected it to be complimentary. I'm quite surprised.

other sites are reporting this is only a test for wi fi, it also has been reported at the end we will be charged 9.95 per day for use.
The way I've seen it worded is that *wired* access ends after ten days. Adding a charge seems like speculation, as far as I can tell. But, stranger things have happened.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The way I've seen it worded is that *wired* access ends after ten days. Adding a charge seems like speculation, as far as I can tell. But, stranger things have happened.
This is how the official site is listing internet access for the resorts on the free wifi list if they list wifi at all.

Wireless (Wi-Fi) Internet Access (additional fee required)

High-speed Internet access (complimentary for select Suite accommodations; for all other accommodations, additional fee applies)

This would lead me to believe that charging for it might be a possibility.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Has Disney been promoting free wifi or even that they have it at all? A search of the official blog turned up nothing and the official site shows wifi as requiring an additional fee under room amenities. I'll wager most people do not even know it is there.

I don't think you have to promote wifi. I would wager that at minimum half of the adults and teenagers staying on property either have a smart phone or laptop. The devices search for wifi and it will be found and used at no additional fee at the locations its active at. If Disney does decide to start charging for the service, you will have a small number of those individuals upset that all of the sudden they have decided to start charging during their vacation. I think its probably going to be an incentive to stay at one of the resorts involved, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom