Free dining

Tk0021

This is our first year staying in rented DVC points. We are staying during the free dinning offer and my question is can we take advantage of the offer? I doubt it but I thought I would ask.

Princess Leia

The credits are a single bucket you can use at any time before checkout. You could use them in any combination on any day for your length of stay.
Can you explain a little more? First time going to Disney in 9 years, and I've never used a dining plan. Is this open to any value (minus the AoA Ariel rooms)? We're looking at staying at Pop Century.

DisneyDreamer08

The sad part is, that for people who don't "know" Disney, they will lose money with offers like this. It seems more and more Disney is catering to the one time, trip of a lifetime type people (which has been discussed her before). So they think, let's stay in a moderate because they are nicer and fancier. And then "free" dining is released and they add on the park hopper. And then, they want some sit down meals, so they upgrade to the regular dining plan. And suddenly, their trip is costing much more but who cares, because its a once in a life time trip. I think Disney will continue to offer deals like this that require add ons and upgrades because they can make money that they wouldn't normally make. I'm not necessarily against free dining, I think for some it can be a good value. For example, last year, we had a September trip booked, regardless of any offers. We were staying in a value, regardless of any offers. So when we were able to add the quick service plan for free, it worked great for us. We have two small girls so we actually like the quick service plan. We like not being tied down to table service restaurants months in advance. We like eating where and when we want. I don't think we will ever plan a future trip around free dining though. There are just too many add ons and maybes and restricted dates now. But good luck to those planing this year, I hope it works in your favor :)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This is our first year staying in rented DVC points. We are staying during the free dinning offer and my question is can we take advantage of the offer? I doubt it but I thought I would ask.
Sorry, but no, you cannot. You can purchase a dining plan, though you have to ask the member you are renting from (or the agency) to do it for you. Never a good deal.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I checked just for fun this morning. We are booked mid-May but had initially checked for the second week of September. We actually got a better price for POR Royal Room Garden View with DDP for our May trip, then I could have right now for the same room with the free QS plan.
That's because you have to pay full rack rate for the room to get this offer.

Tk0021

Sorry, but no, you cannot. You can purchase a dining plan, though you have to ask the member you are renting from (or the agency) to do it for you. Never a good deal.
Thanks, I didn't think I could get the free dinning. What do you mean by never a good deal?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Umm not to be too sarcastic, but how would you meet any of its criteria to qualify? Stay at one of the listed resorts while renting from Disney , purchase park hoppers for 3 or more days, and during one of the listed time periods.

Dont be mislead by the marketing term "free" as it only applies to Disney's unsold room inventory during certain time periods, requires you to pay rack rate for your accommodations as well as a minimum level and duration of park tickets.

Tk0021

Umm not to be too sarcastic, but how would you meet any of its criteria to qualify? Stay at one of the listed resorts while renting from Disney , purchase park hoppers for 3 or more days, and during one of the listed time periods.

Dont be mislead by the marketing term "free" as it only applies to Disney's unsold room inventory during certain time periods, requires you to pay rack rate for your accommodations as well as a minimum level and duration of park tickets.

I see your point about renting from Disney. Got to love the qualifier of " not to be sarcastic."

ToTBellHop

I am staying in December (using DVC points) but checked this for fun as I've never qualified for free dining. I would have switched and saved my points if the price wasn't so laughable. There is an interesting disconnect between DVC point requirements and room rack rates during the week before Christmas so I get tremendous bang for my buck sticking with points. $4700 for a week in a standard view at Wilderness Lodge with 2-day park hoppers (we have APs) made me chuckle. I'm using 109 pts for the save week in a studio at Boulder Ridge. That's quite low for non-DVC members. On that same note, if you are going the week before Christmas, consider renting instead of paying Disney's absurd rates.

Those rooms are perhaps worth $200/night.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks, I didn't think I could get the free dinning. What do you mean by never a good deal?
None of the dining plans are a good deal, unless you are eating at character buffets and eating steak or lobster all the time on the regular plan. And then you can break even. Of course, with the QS, you don't get any of that at all. People are deluding themselves if they think that Disney is saving them money with the dining plans. Disney wouldn't offer them if it wasn't advantageous to Disney. And free dining just gets Disney full rack rates for their rooms.

Jon81uk

Can you explain a little more? First time going to Disney in 9 years, and I've never used a dining plan.

On the quick service plan you get two quick service meals and two snacks per person, per NIGHT of your stay, but can use them in any order. So if you have a five night stay, you have 10 meals to use over the six days of your stay and can use them in any order. So can eat three meals on day two, one meal day three etc. A quick service meal consists of a non-alcoholic drink and an entrée (incl combos as listed such as burger & fries or sandwich and chips).

On the regular dining plan you get one quick service, one table service meal and two snacks per person per night. Again you can use them in any order. Quick serrvice meal is as above and a table service meal is entrée, dessert and non-alcoholic drink, tip not included.

Snacks are marked with a purple DDP symbol on quick service and kiosk menus but include many ice creams, sundaes, frozen drinks, pretzels, soda and other items.

Tk0021

None of the dining plans are a good deal, unless you are eating at character buffets and eating steak or lobster all the time on the regular plan. And then you can break even. Of course, with the QS, you don't get any of that at all. People are deluding themselves if they think that Disney is saving them money with the dining plans. Disney wouldn't offer them if it wasn't advantageous to Disney. And free dining just gets Disney full rack rates for their rooms.
Thanks for answering my question. We are eating at the characters buffets so breaking even is our hope. Once my kids are out of that stage I think we will skip those meals. The DDP is way more food then we normally eat.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks for answering my question. We are eating at the characters buffets so breaking even is our hope. Once my kids are out of that stage I think we will skip those meals. The DDP is way more food then we normally eat.
It is way more food for the majority of people, but they do it anyway. Heck, we frequently only get a few appetizers and drinks at a TS place. No entree at all. Only with young kids would we even consider one of the character buffets, and ours are grown and married. Maybe with grandkids one day, but not anytime soon. Of course, we always have APs and a TiW card for 20% off, so that fits in better with how we like to eat while at WDW.

Princess Leia

On the quick service plan you get two quick service meals and two snacks per person, per NIGHT of your stay, but can use them in any order. So if you have a five night stay, you have 10 meals to use over the six days of your stay and can use them in any order. So can eat three meals on day two, one meal day three etc. A quick service meal consists of a non-alcoholic drink and an entrée (incl combos as listed such as burger & fries or sandwich and chips).

On the regular dining plan you get one quick service, one table service meal and two snacks per person per night. Again you can use them in any order. Quick serrvice meal is as above and a table service meal is entrée, dessert and non-alcoholic drink, tip not included.

Snacks are marked with a purple DDP symbol on quick service and kiosk menus but include many ice creams, sundaes, frozen drinks, pretzels, soda and other items.
Thank you. I talked to an agent on the chat section of the disney.go site, and they said it would cover the whole trip? We'll be checking in the day before the free dining starts, and checking out two days later. That almost seems too good to be true.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Free Dining!

giphy.gif

EpcotEric01

Id rather pay full rack rates and get free dining for my family of 5 (4 "adults"). it saved us over $1800.00 versus the room discount. Just because you don't benefit from a particular deal doesn't make it a bad one for everyone.

Jon81uk

Thank you. I talked to an agent on the chat section of the disney.go site, and they said it would cover the whole trip? We'll be checking in the day before the free dining starts, and checking out two days later. That almost seems too good to be true.

You need to book the special offer of free dining, it won't be automatic. The dining plan is purchasable for $69 per night anyway and you get the two meals and two snacks per night. If you book your stay with the free dining offer then you get the dining plan for free. If your stay is before the offer starts, you probably won't be able to book the offer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom