Free dining

maxime29

Premium Member
It all depends on your particular situation including, party size, party ages, resort choice, etc.

Depending on those factors, a room discount might be better deal that free dining.
Yeah but what discounts have ever historically been offered during Christmas week? I can't think of any since Disney knows they will have about 100% occupancy.

ToTBellHop

Yeah but what discounts have ever historically been offered during Christmas week? I can't think of any since Disney knows they will have about 100% occupancy.
You are correct. There may be a room discount through 12/22 or so, but not after. Whereas free dining goes with you throughout the trip, if you did a room-only discount, you'd be paying full rack-rate from 12/23 or 12/24 (whenever they set the cut-off) on.

It was. In '09 it was still priced as value season, and the lack of crowds reflected that. In '11 we were still able to get a nice room discount, but prices and crowds had started to grow.
We went in 2012, crowds increased as the week progressed but it wasn't bad IMO. Maybe I need to go during a true slow part to compare?

DisneyDreamer08

We went in 2012, crowds increased as the week progressed but it wasn't bad IMO. Maybe I need to go during a true slow part to compare?

There really isn't a "slow" time anymore. Just busy but manageable and crazy busy. Our last trip was 9/23-10/1 in 2016. It was busy but manageable. And this was in September when people assume its slow because kids are just back to school. Our previous trip was the week following Thanksgiving in 2014. Again, some people think this is a slow time. It was decent, busy at peak times, more manageable in the early morning. No matter when you go now, plan for crowds.

Disney.Mike

They have successfully moved me into a Deluxe vs a moderate with this change. For 5 people the mod rooms are pretty slim picking as is, and it was forcing me into a cabin....

Cabin + Cost to upgrade to DDP would only save 200$ +/- for the 7 night stay vs yatchclub.

The benefits of being at the YC outweigh the savings... so congrats to disney, they have officially bumped me up to a deluxe. This may also make DVC financially feasible if this proves to be on ongoing thing.

Well played Disney... well played...

On the flip side, hopefully this will be enough to keep lower income people out of the nicer dining areas.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Those are like the now extinct passenger pigeon. You will have to ask an old timer what they were like because they ain't here no more.;)
Yes, and you can pretty much blame free dining and multiple room discounts during what used to be the slow times.

ETA: Oh wait a minute. I thought some people were saying that a WDW was out of reach for middle America. Where are all the people coming from?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
On the flip side, hopefully this will be enough to keep lower income people out of the nicer dining areas.

One can only dream. I have long been a proponent of "twice the price" dining during busy season to lessen the likelihood of rubbing elbows with the unwashed rabble that visually, aurally, and malodorously assault my senses as I traipse around on my holiday. I think "twice the price" dining would also allow an extension of free dining....To be honest, during free dining I think all the table service eateries should offer buffets featuring troughs of baked beans garnished with dead dogs since I very much doubt the riff raff would notice.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
One can only dream. I have long been a proponent of "twice the price" dining during busy season to lessen the likelihood of rubbing elbows with the unwashed rabble that visually, aurally, and malodorously assault my senses as I traipse around on my holiday. I think "twice the price" dining would also allow an extension of free dining....To be honest, during free dining I think all the table service eateries should offer buffets featuring troughs of baked beans garnished with dead dogs since I very much doubt the riff raff would notice.
Don't forget doubling the park ticket price, so that the parks are less crowded also. ;)

Disney.Mike

Sarcasm much?

Are you guys seriously telling me that a large reason for the drop in quality of the upscale dining places isnt directly related to lower income people using value resort free dining (paying upchage to standard) to be able to afford to eat at these places?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sarcasm much?

Are you guys seriously telling me that a large reason for the drop in quality of the upscale dining places isnt directly related to lower income people using value resort free dining (paying upchage to standard) to be able to afford to eat at these places?
Free dining is absolutely related to it. I've talked with the managers, and they absolutely hate the dining plans. They only get a portion from each person, and for the more expensive dishes, they barely break even. Some have had to go to lesser cuts, and some, like LeCellier, had to go to 2 credits.

ev01

"At this time there is no availability with the free dine offer in a standard view room at the Wilderness Lodge." :(

I had an existing reservation at WL the first week of September, with park hopper and Disney dining plan added. Called in and they basically just knocked $1100 off my balance.. Thank you Disney Bloggers and Disney forums! Feel like I just hit the lottery.

Patrick G.

I had an existing reservation at WL the first week of September, with park hopper and Disney dining plan added. Called in and they basically just knocked $1100 off my balance.. Thank you Disney Bloggers and Disney forums! Feel like I just hit the lottery.
I have an existing reservation there for the first week of September as well, but I have a standard view room, and I don't want to pay to upgrade it because I know I will be upgraded for free upon check-in (long story). Do you have a standard view room reserved? Was there anything specific you said that you believe prompted them to give you the discount?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom