News Free Dining Plan announced for Disney+ subscribers at Walt Disney World

Lirael

Oh hey, DFB (am I allowed to namedrop them?) is saying there'll also be a room rate discount for D+ members starting tomorrow, for stays 5 nights and longer, between March 25th and October 3rd, 2024

Ayla

We stay mods, biggest discount I've gotten before for 25% which saved $526 over 9 nights. Since DD is 15, she becomes an adult for meals, so the savings would be $1539 or upgrade to TS plan for $1006. It really will come down to the stipulations for us, never did the free dining before, so don't know if there is a limit on adults or if it requires kids under 10 to work.
Any kid 10 or over is considered an adult on the DDP.

Ayla

I was having this "is it worth it" discussion with some first timers the other day

It really goes down to: how much and what do you drink

If you drink a lot of soda or alcoholic beverages, it can be worth it since the refillable mug is included. Though you'd need to organize yourself to be around the places in each park where they have the refill station

As someone who doesn't drink soda and am very limited on what types of alcoholic drinks I like, the DP is never worth it for me.
The refillable mug can only be used at resorts, not any of the parks.

Lirael

The refillable mug can only be used at resorts, not any of the parks.
Wow, really? I thought those quick service locations in the park with the drink stations were for using the mug on. Thank goodness I never gave anyone any tips on mug buying lol that really limits the usage/worth

TheMaxRebo

I never asked, but how can they refill a popcorn bucket for you, but not a drink container?

I think they market the refillable mug as a resort perk vs a park perk which the refillable popcorn buckets are

Plus, this way they sell more soda (or other drinks) when people are in park

I know Universal does refills for the drinks (have friends who try to see how many slushy refills they can get each trip) so they could do it if they wanted

DisneyDreamer08

Any kid 10 or over is considered an adult on the DDP.

This is what bugs me most. My 13 year old daughter and I are visiting in August. I love the convenience of the dining plans and we have booked dining offers in the past. But I don’t drink and obviously my 13 year old does not 😂 So I just cannot get the pricing to work in our favor. I really wish there was a non alcoholic option.

WorldExplorer

I think they market the refillable mug as a resort perk vs a park perk which the refillable popcorn buckets are

Plus, this way they sell more soda (or other drinks) when people are in park

I know Universal does refills for the drinks (have friends who try to see how many slushy refills they can get each trip) so they could do it if they wanted

Disney also does refillable cups in the water parks (those can even be reactivated for cheaper than buying one, unlike the resort mugs). So yeah, they definitely could do it if they wanted.

Chip Chipperson

Disney also does refillable cups in the water parks (those can even be reactivated for cheaper than buying one, unlike the resort mugs). So yeah, they definitely could do it if they wanted.
There was a time when the self-serve soda station at Backlot Express worked with the resort refill mugs even though it wasn't supposed to. I'm sure other QS locations with self-serve soda fountains were the same but never tried. On our first trip back in 2015, my wife and I got the DDP and didn't know the mugs were only for use at the resorts so we took them into the parks. Only after using them at DHS did we discover that we weren't supposed to. If a CM noticed us they didn't say anything. I'm not sure which, if any, QS locations in the parks still have those self-serve stations so I can't say it would work now. The few times I've gotten a QS meal with a soda post-COVID, I've always been handed a lidless cup filled to the tippy top and didn't finish it anyway.

jinx8402

surfsupdon

Interesting to know. How far back do you need to go for that? I looked at https://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/ and even used the wayback machine to peek even further back than what is available on the "live" site. From my quick spot checks all the way back to 2009 there was no Free Dining for AP listed.
I do think I stand corrected. As I recall, it was a full priced dining package you could add to your full priced resort reservation- You did not need to purchase tickets. I apologize for the initial misinformation.

TheMaxRebo

I remember when I got free dining (the full version not the quick service one) while staying at pop and when the dining plan included appetizer, entree, dessert, AND gratuity. Those were the days

I didn't get it for free, but even paying for it when it included the appetizer and gratuity it was pretty great - good value and made it really feel "all inclusive"

the first year was 2005 and it cost $35/night for adults and $10/night for kids

hopemax

So my potential problem is DH is the subscriber for Disney+ because he handles all the streaming services, while I handle all other Disney thingys. Plus, I travel to WDW much more than he does because I'm also visiting my Dad, and DH has to like work and earn money. So even though my household is a subscriber, I'm betting based on the fine print of similar promotions, I would be ineligible for these discounts when DH isn't with me. Now that my Dad is getting older, I have been looking into booking short stays just so he can head back to the room to rest or not have to drive so much like we do at Universal, but the cost hasn't been worth it.

Splash4eva

So my potential problem is DH is the subscriber for Disney+ because he handles all the streaming services, while I handle all other Disney thingys. Plus, I travel to WDW much more than he does because I'm also visiting my Dad, and DH has to like work and earn money. So even though my household is a subscriber, I'm betting based on the fine print of similar promotions, I would be ineligible for these discounts when DH isn't with me. Now that my Dad is getting older, I have been looking into booking short stays just so he can head back to the room to rest or not have to drive so much like we do at Universal, but the cost hasn't been worth it.
Fwiw i am separated and was able to use my ex account when i booked and she was not with us on my trip…

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I understand why they are putting it behind a Disney+ subscription because it’s cross promoting but are they that desperate for subs that you have to pay $13 or so a month so access the offer, when they are discounting by far more?
It's just one more step towards a Disney Family Membership Plan to do ANYTHING in WDW. I can see:

$14.99 a month just to buy tickets and make value resort reservations.
$19.99 a month to buy hoppers and stay in moderates.
$24.99 a month to stay in deluxe hotels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom