Free DDP Still Around?

Agrajag

Original Poster
Been a while since I last posted. We had a full trip planned in 2009 over Thanksgiving that included free dining during our entire 9-day stay (two weekends and the week between). Unfortunately, my mother became seriously ill just before the trip and died that Christmas (heck of a holiday season) which put a damper on the entire thought.

Anyway, now, six years later, we're finally ready to jump back in to renew this holiday dream (Thanksgiving at Disney at Animal Kingdom). Is free dining still something Disney is doing and is it likely to be readily available during our stay? Back then we just asked and it was added to our reservation.

What's the status and process today?

Thanks for any input. We're thinking 11/20 check-in. Check-out 11/29.

ninjaprincesst

Been a while since I last posted. We had a full trip planned in 2009 over Thanksgiving that included free dining during our entire 9-day stay (two weekends and the week between). Unfortunately, my mother became seriously ill just before the trip and died that Christmas (heck of a holiday season) which put a damper on the entire thought.

Anyway, now, six years later, we're finally ready to jump back in to renew this holiday dream (Thanksgiving at Disney at Animal Kingdom). Is free dining still something Disney is doing and is it likely to be readily available during our stay? Back then we just asked and it was added to our reservation.

What's the status and process today?

Thanks for any input. We're thinking 11/20 check-in. Check-out 11/29.
We have been able to get free dining during Thanksgiving week the last couple of years, the key is we usually check in the Thursday before Thanksgiving. The black out dates usually start on the Friday before. If you are checked in even one day at the beginning of the trip you can get it for your entire stay (up to 10 days I think). You will also need to be staying at a qualifying hotel with the correct room type. Normally Disney Visa card holders are eligible for free dining a few days before the general public. You will experience a very long hold time waiting on the phone to add it.

Agrajag

Original Poster
We are indeed in US (Philly). In 2009 we were able to have it added the moment it went public in something like April if I recall. I'm more than willing to get a Disney Visa if that makes it easier.

So do I understand that, IF it's offered, the only thing we need to do is call Disney once they have our reservation and request free dining and they'll just give it to us (assuming we're there the week before -- which we will be)?

ninjaprincesst

We are indeed in US (Philly). In 2009 we were able to have it added the moment it went public in something like April if I recall. I'm more than willing to get a Disney Visa if that makes it easier.

So do I understand that, IF it's offered, the only thing we need to do is call Disney once they have our reservation and request free dining and they'll just give it to us (assuming we're there the week before -- which we will be)?
You have to be there before the black out dates, which historically means you will need to arrive by the 19th of November not the 20th as the black out dates normally start the weekend before and the 20th is Friday. Also you have to be staying at a resort that is included in the offer and in the correct room category(usually anything other than a standard room).

wannabeBelle

You have to call whoever you made your initial reservation through. If you booked through Disney, yes definitely call them. If you booked through a travel agent, contact them. The folks at Kingdom Konsultant would call on your behalf, if you booked with us, once the offer is made as will most other good agencies. If you are booking through any other method, make sure you know their change policy and if there are any change fees. Also keep in mind this discount offer, in the past has been very limited and certain resorts and/or room types are typically excluded. Make sure you have a few options selected if your first choices aren't available with this discount. Marie

Agrajag

Original Poster
Thanks Marie and we'll keep you in mind. We won't book until we see the dates. We'd LIKE Animal Kingdom, Safari view, which used to qualify.

wannabeBelle

I don't recall any restrictions at AKL from last time. The big surprise for the General Public Free Dining last year was the exclusion of Port Orleans Riverside!!! French Quarter is usually excluded, so that wasn't surprising, but to eliminate RIverside completely was unexpected. Smart move on waiting to see the dates and then making a decision. Watch out for our posting on these boards as well as our Facebook Page under Kingdom Konsultant Travel. Any discount information is always posted in both places as soon as we get the official word!! Marie

PAW PAW 70

Dining plan available during thanksgiving, had the plan last four years,you need to check in before thanksgiving. Check to make sure.

Agrajag

Original Poster
Paw Paw, great news. Was "before Thanksgiving" anytime before or the Thursday before? I'd love to just be able to check in any time Friday.

Agrajag

Original Poster
When we did this last time (years back) there was nothing but the standard Dining Plan. What's involved in an upgrade?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom