France vs Canada Films

Iris

Original Poster
Impressions de France and O Canada opened at the same time over forty years ago. Yet Impressions de France is still playing in its original form and Canada is on its third version. Why do you think that is?

gitchard

My problem with IDF is that there is no narration. The scenery is beautiful and the musical score that goes with it I love.

I just wish they would tell me what I was looking at.

aladdin2007

Tourism Canada and Tourism Toronto chipped in for the second version. An update to IDF was in the works but seems to have gone flat.
IDF is barely hanging on by a thread, showing it one time a day only at night means its on its way out. Rotten management. All for that worthless sing along junk. I dont think Canada's is going to be around much longer either, they would rather have that space to get their precious alcohol sales which is so much more important than attractions now. :banghead:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
IDF is barely hanging on by a thread, showing it one time a day only at night means its on its way out. Rotten management. All for that worthless sing along junk. I dont think Canada's is going to be around much longer either, they would rather have that space to get their precious alcohol sales which is so much more important than attractions now. :banghead:
Not sure the BatB sing-along is really drawing much of a crowd.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Not sure the BatB sing-along is really drawing much of a crowd.
You'd be surprised. It fills up about as much as IdF... Especially if it is being used as a 'waiting room' for Rat.

Impressions de France is my 74 year old father's all-time favorite WDW attraction... For some reason. It is, personally, my least favorite attraction on property. I rank it behind Swiss Family Treehouse, Magic Carpets, AND Mission: Space. It is very boring.

That being said, I don't like the new Canada film, either. Martin Short was the best version.

JIMINYCR

France has long been a pavilion that seems to be neglected. Many years ago the film needed being redone because of graininess and poor sound. I was hoping with the addition of Rat there would be money spent on improving the film as well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
France has long been a pavilion that seems to be neglected. Many years ago the film needed being redone because of graininess and poor sound.
You do know technically it is now stunning?

The new-ish seamless screen shows the direction the new version was to have taken.

Cmdr_Crimson

IMO the Martin Short was by far the best....Considering that all they did with the 3rd version is just used the majority of clips from the 2nd version..

You also got to give credit to Martin having 2 out of his 3 attractions he did for WDW 2 of them were for Epcot on either side of the parks. The Making of Me and O'Canada.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I love Impressions de France, the music and the scenery is gorgeous. It very much inspired me to want to visit France and I've looked up where many of those places are. I don't mind that there isn't narration, the music does a good job of placing me and my imagination "in France". I was able to visit a few on my first trip to Paris and plan to visit more on the next. I also love that there is a place to sit and watch the show which is not the case in Canada. I like the versions I've seen of the Canada show but it hasn't inspired me the way the France show has and I live a few hours drive from Canada but never been there.

muddyrivers

I love Impressions de France, the music and the scenery is gorgeous. It very much inspired me to want to visit France and I've looked up where many of those places are. I don't mind that there isn't narration, the music does a good job of placing me and my imagination "in France". I was able to visit a few on my first trip to Paris and plan to visit more on the next. I also love that there is a place to sit and watch the show which is not the case in Canada. I like the versions I've seen of the Canada show but it hasn't inspired me the way the France show has and I live a few hours drive from Canada but never been there.
I thought I was the only one here who loves IDF after reading the rest of this thread until I came to your post. To me it's simplistic with its lack of narration but so well shows the beauty and majesty of France, its people, and its culture albeit 40+ years ago. My last 2 trips to WDW I made it a point to go to EPCOT in the evening just so I could experience the attraction in the theater. Watching it on YouTube is simply not the same, especially when the bass from the organ plays at the end of the film. Stunning!

Animaniac93-98

Tourism Canada and Tourism Toronto chipped in for the second version. An update to IDF was in the works but seems to have gone flat.

It's my understanding that no new Circle-Vision footage has been made since 1982 and all newer clips since are just single screen stuff,

is that right?

Animaniac93-98

They did add some new circlevision scenes for the 2nd and 3rd versions. However most of the new scenes for the 2nd version we’re kinda messy flyover city shots.

They needed to replace that shot of Toronto pre-Rogers Center (aka SkyDome) among so many other buildings.

That was one of the more obviously dated things from the 1982 version still playing well into the 2000s

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom