France Goes Digital

lazyboy97o

To put it simply: Regular-screen digital projectors exist. Digital Omnimax projectors do not.

There's a huge difference between regular 35mm projectors projecting onto a small screen, and a giant 70mm IMAX projector projecting onto an Omnimax screen.

-Rob
Use multiple synchronized projectors like they do for The Simpsons Ride.

Prototype82

This is almost too good to be true. So let's take care of Norway's movie. And by that I mean, replace the whole bloody thing and refurb the ride. :lol:

MarkTwain

Way to go Disney!! :sohappy: Good to hear that they're addressing some of the minor, not-necessarily-marketable issues in the parks.

Glen Quagmire

I know I am in the minority, but as a film geak I wish they would keep everything the way it is, just restore it.

That being said I know that film has a limited lifetime as compared with digital so I understand

s8film40

This is really sad news. Film projections are much better than digital. This is purely a cost saving measure, film requires continuous maintenance and replacement but offers much a much better screen image.

Animaniac93-98

This is really sad news. Film projections are much better than digital. This is purely a cost saving measure, film requires continuous maintenance and replacement but offers much a much better screen image.

Under ideal conditions, but theme parks don't provide that. The number of times a print must run through the projector in this setting is far more than a standard movie theatre and as such the deterioration of the print happens much more quickly.

Digital provides the consitency in quality film can never have, which in this setting should be preferred.

s8film40

Digital provides the consitency in quality film can never have, which in this setting should be preferred.

Well film can have the consistency of digital they just choose not to put that level of care into the attraction. The simple fact is they chose to take the easy less expensive route rather than the quality route. I would expect this changeover will likely be happening with all Disney attractions using film, except of course those that use projections large enough where the quality difference will be more noticeable.

imagineer boy

Disagree 100%. Digital is far better than film, its like looking at a large HD screen with no grain.

wbc

Fantastic! My fav vid at EPCOT!

Won't be able to see it for quite some time. Looks like my next trip won't be till 2012.

HMF

The France pavilion movie "Impressions de France" has gone digital. It is the same movie and same soundtrack, no changes, the only thing that changed was the media.

I heard that it is greatly improved really crisp and clean images and remastered it and adjusted some color and some alignment issues.

Going digital to show a wonderful view of Paris at a time before digital was a pipe dream

BrerJon

I watched the digital version today and they've done an amazing job restoring the film, it really does look like it was shot yesterday, and they just asked the actors to wear 1980s clothes and wigs. Cest incredible!

It's so crisp and clear, definitely makes you want to go to France, which is kind of the entire point I guess!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom