Fragrances in lobbies...

Are fragrances in the lobby a good idea or a bad one?

• Sounds good to me!

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • No way, not worth it if it's going to make people sick

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I don't see why they need to do it

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Depends on the fragrance

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I originally posted this in the DVC section because I thought the issue was limited to BLT, but after switching to BC today, I have discovered that it is not.

They seem to be using a new fragrance in the hotel lobbies. It's strong, rather flowery, and makes it impossible for me to walk through the lobby. As many of you know, I have really bad asthma. I tighten as soon as I walk through the lobby and today had to come back and use my nebulizer after sitting there for just ten minutes. I know I can't be the only one who this would cause issues for. My mother, who barely even has asthma, is having issues from it. Many get headaches or migraines from fragrances or perfumes. My question is:
If you have noticed it, what did you think?
Have any of you noticed it in the value resorts? I'm staying at one in January and if they are, I need to contact them before I go to get them to stop using it before I go.
If you haven't stayed or noticed, what do you think of this idea? I know I'm in the minority and it might be pleasant for many, but is it worth it? And couldn't they be spending the money for something else instead?

I've contacted Disney and let them know of my issue. The CM took me very seriously and said they did not want to cause problems for their guests and she would contact the resorts (so far, Contemporary, BLT, and BC's lobby) to let them know that it's causing a problem. I'm also going to contact a manager and ask them to limit it so I don't get really sick on vacation. We'll see how much success I have.

EDIT: This isn't te beachy fragrance we used to have. That was okay. This is like straight perfume like what they sell in Epcot. When I went to Poly I noticed no fragrance.

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

I stayed at All Star Sports in May and didn't notice anything and I get BAD migraines from different scents. I think a small amount of frangrance is ok. I think it should sort of coincide with that specific resort though, like a beachy smell at the BC, etc.. I was bummed to hear they took the smell away from the Poly lobby :( I'll just avoid the lobby at BLT next month if the smell is too strong.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Depends on the fragrance and how strong it is. I am affected sometimes by strong fragrances and it can give me headaches and makes me sick to my stomach. In fact I'm wait at the car dealership right now getting an oil change and the lad nearby has on a really strong perfume that is making me I'll, also I've spent a lot of times at plays covering my nose because of someone's aftershave, cologne or perfume. I don't even use scented candles.
. Anyway, a soft scent like what is used at the Beach Club at Christmas is nice it smells like food! Or the ligt flower scent that used to be at the poly is fine but it shouldn't be strong, just a hint.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Depends on the fragrance and how strong it is. I am affected sometimes by strong fragrances and it can give me headaches and makes me sick to my stomach. In fact I'm wait at the car dealership right now getting an oil change and the lad nearby has on a really strong perfume that is making me I'll, also I've spent a lot of times at plays covering my nose because of someone's aftershave, cologne or perfume. I don't even use scented candles.
. Anyway, a soft scent like what is used at the Beach Club at Christmas is nice it smells like food! Or the ligt flower scent that used to be at the poly is fine but it shouldn't be strong, just a hint.
I agree...the one at Poly has never bothered me, but this one smells like that one perfume they sell at Norway...completely overwhelming! A little won't bother me, but this is ridiculous.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I'm so sorry to hear about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope the rest of your trip is better! WDW does such a good job with food allergies you'd think they'd do the same with other allergies in areas people can't avoid!
Yes, I know! Bad decision somewhere. It would be fine if it weren't blasted at you like it is. Perfume shops are okay because I can tell immediately and walk away. Hopefully I'll have as good an experience with the manager as I did when I contacted the other CM

jmorri26

Sorry to hear your troubles! That's a tough predicament though because I know many, myself included, have come to look forward to those lobby scents and would be sad to not have them during their stay if it coincided with yours. That said, you health is more important. From all I've ever noticed, only Deluxes have the scents pumped in strong. If you know Poly or other resorts don't both you though, I'd do like you said and just call first to check its the same.

jkl2000

I think since they already have to release a certain amount of fragrance into the air from cleaning supplies, etc., why add any more? Unless they can use just enough so it doesn't bother anyone. It probably wouldn't bother me, but I could definitely live without it. Is there a fragrance for Pop Sports? :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I think since they already have to release a certain amount of fragrance into the air from cleaning supplies, etc., why add any more? Unless they can use just enough so it doesn't bother anyone. It probably wouldn't bother me, but I could definitely live without it. Is there a fragrance for Pop Sports? :)

I really hope there isn't. What would it be if there was? Sweaty jockstrap?:confused:

jaklgreen

A few years ago I stayed at the Venetian in Vegas and they have a strong old lady perfume smell. My nose would start running as soon as I walked back into the hotel and I also had a constant headache from it. Fragrances, especially stronger perfume ones, are a really bad idea. There are so many people that are bothered by them. I hate Norway in Epcot for this reason, the perfume smell is so strong I have a hard time walking thru there.

jaklgreen

I am exactly the same way. It is nice to know that you are not the only one who gets sick from smells.(not that it is a good thing but that I am not alone in my suffering). My family thinks I am crazy and do not understand how horrible it is to get sick and an instant horrible headache just from certain smells.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I am exactly the same way. It is nice to know that you are not the only one who gets sick from smells.(not that it is a good thing but that I am not alone in my suffering). My family thinks I am crazy and do not understand how horrible it is to get sick and an instant horrible headache just from certain smells.

Sorry that you suffer too. But my husband doesn't really understand it that well either, he gets annoyed that I won't let him use his shave stuff while I'm in the house.

jmargarone27

I like the new fragrance, but when it is first sprayed, it is overly strong. The smell that they were testing at the Poly (some bamboo scent) is not being used anymore, thank god. Back to the old Poly smell! My favorite smell is the Grand Floridian. It's fresh, not nauseating, and luxurious. I can smell it every breath I take in, but it's not like walking into a department store.

HouCuseChickie

We didn't notice any overwhelming lobby smells when we were there back in Nov, but DD4 had an allergic reaction to something in the bedding in our room at YC. I almost got the impression that they were spraying the beds down with something to keep them smelling fresh. She would get super congested from the stuff and begin hacking so hard she'd make herself sick. She even developed hives from it one night. She was also fine if I was proactive and gave her meds before bed time. I'm not overly sensitive to fragrances so I didn't notice the lobbies- but I did notice the room...and now part of me is wondering if they are using the same things in the lobbies and common areas - which could be the cause of your reactions.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
We didn't notice any overwhelming lobby smells when we were there back in Nov, but DD4 had an allergic reaction to something in the bedding in our room at YC. I almost got the impression that they were spraying the beds down with something to keep them smelling fresh. She would get super congested from the stuff and begin hacking so hard she'd make herself sick. She even developed hives from it one night. She was also fine if I was proactive and gave her meds before bed time. I'm not overly sensitive to fragrances so I didn't notice the lobbies- but I did notice the room...and now part of me is wondering if they are using the same things in the lobbies and common areas - which could be the cause of your reactions.
There's something they use; I once had to sleep on the aerobed and my face was just close enough to the floor that I woke up wheezing and with a bright red face in the middle of the night.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
UPDATE: My mother spoke to a BC manager. He said the fragrances are rotated seasonally and that this is a new one. They are supposed to be hypoallergenic, but this one obviously isn't. He said it is in the ventilation stystem and that there isn't anything he could do to get rid of it today...but in a few days it will be off. I've managed to find routes around the lobby for now and my parents will let me know when it's clear.

As far as the Poly one goes, I ate at Kona the other day without issue, so most of them must be okay, but this particular one is not. I come here twice a year and have never had an issue with it, but it's oberwhelming. Smells like a Macy's fragrance department. When I walked by the main lobby doors I could smell it. It's just bad.

NeedMoreMickey

I know how some smells can get to you so quickly and not seem to bother other people, there are a few store in WS that I avoid. I don't know my way around BLT but there are plenty of ways to avoid the lobby at BC. Enter near the quiet pool and use the elevator instead of going thru the lobby.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Sorry that you suffer too. But my husband doesn't really understand it that well either, he gets annoyed that I won't let him use his shave stuff while I'm in the house.
It has to be a guy thing; my mom stopped letting my dad use colongue and spray deoderant when they got married and he complained. And even now unless he sees my chest moving, hears me talking more softly, or sees me swell up, his first reaction is "Oh, you're fine."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom