News FPs cancelled when Hotel room cancelled

Lensman

That's true. I've never really noticed a slowdowm on the refresh, except when on in park wifi. When switching to my mobile network, it's always pretty quick - and if pounding on it caused bottlenecks, it should slow down or error out.
Wait, so which operations lag or time out?

LuvWDW2

On the app: FP booking (usually not modifying for me)
On a browser: everything unless I’m in private. I get resort pricing issues, FP booking & modifying issues, booking & modifying dining issues, check park hour or entertainment issues. I despise the browser.

Lensman

On a browser: everything unless I’m in private. I get resort pricing issues, FP booking & modifying issues, booking & modifying dining issues, check park hour or entertainment issues. I despise the browser.
What do you mean by "in private"?

BTW, I couldn't log in to the DVC member site until I disabled my ad blockers. You might check to see if that's the issue. There are other transactional sites that I've had problems with when using a browser. You might also check to see that you've enabled cookies and such.

You probably already know all this but I thought I'd mention it since I know it but still always forget to do it and the when a site doesn't work I blame their tech. Lol

ImperfectPixie

BTW, I couldn't log in to the DVC member site until I disabled my ad blockers. You might check to see if that's the issue. There are other transactional sites that I've had problems with when using a browser. You might also check to see that you've enabled cookies and such.

You probably already know all this but I thought I'd mention it since I know it but still always forget to do it and the when a site doesn't work I blame their tech. Lol
Cookies are often more hassle than they're worth. Not that I think they're ever going away...just sayin'.

LuvWDW2

On Safari, incognito is called private (it’s the cookie free way to browse). When the app acts up for me in the parks, I switch to private browser and use the site.

bUU

Disney's servers can barely handle it when people get in, make their reservations and leave, but pounding the app really puts a lot of pressure on the servers that cause a lot of people to crash.
Generally server load doesn't lead to client crashes. Inadequate system resources on the client-side is typically the culprit there. Disney may have a server-side problem too, but you're not going to discover it the way you've suggested.

Lensman

Generally server load doesn't lead to client crashes. Inadequate system resources on the client-side is typically the culprit there. Disney may have a server-side problem too, but you're not going to discover it the way you've suggested.
Is it the client that's crashing? I agree totally, though there are cases where an unexpected response or non-response from the server is handled in the client with an exit. Not that I'd encourage such a design.

I've been having a lot of client crashes myself in my mobile game recently. It's surprising that these aren't handled better or at least with some indication that encourages me to spend money on a new phone. :)

mikejs78

Premium Member
Generally for me it's hotel related stuff and ADRs. Occasionally I get a "something went wrong" on the FP booking but that's usually just a glitch. But it happens when first going through the FP process, not on refreshes.

I wonder if the different clients have different issues? I have an Android device, and almost never see FP problems .. Maybe it's the iOS app, not the servers.

bUU

Is it the client that's crashing?
Not sure what else "... causes people to crash ..." could mean, especially since I've not had any trouble making or changing dining or FP reservations, on the app or on the web.

I agree totally, though there are cases where an unexpected response or non-response from the server is handled in the client with an exit. Not that I'd encourage such a design.
It is all about what customers reward companies for. These days, customer talk about quality a lot but their words can't be trusted - follow the money. Customers buy the flashy things without much regard for quality, and continue to buy the flashy things, even jumping from higher quality to lower quality because of an incidental disappointment with the higher quality - as long as the lower quality thing is just as flashy.

I've been having a lot of client crashes myself in my mobile game recently. It's surprising that these aren't handled better or at least with some indication that encourages me to spend money on a new phone. :)
Why would a mobile game developer encourage you to spend money on a new phone? They're complete different companies who really don't care about one another.

Lensman

Not sure what else "... causes people to crash ..." could mean, especially since I've not had any trouble making or changing dining or FP reservations, on the app or on the web.
The alternative would be that the app would indicate a fault. not complete the requested operation, or pop you back out to the MDE home screen. The app crashing due to lack of resources would be a hard exit out of the app.

My question was in relation to people reporting that the app was buggy, then some people claiming that this was due to the servers being overloaded, then someone saying that the bugginess was actually crashes of the mobile client. Also note that others report that using MDE through a browser is even worse - and obviously that can't be due to the client crashing.

I'm not sure why you're being snarky to me about my question. Lol

Why would a mobile game developer encourage you to spend money on a new phone? They're complete different companies who really don't care about one another.
I was more expecting that Apple would be able to somehow detect that an app running using their APIs/runtime and under their OS might be able to somehow indicate to me that an app crashed due to lack of resources and that I might want to buy a new phone. I'm not even sure what resources it might be short of - but you brought up the idea of the shortage of system resources, right? I've never developed an iOS or Android app so I don't know what information might be available to the operating system about an app crash or the runtime environment when an app crashes. It's the sort of thing where on a server (where I work), one thing you'd do is look at system resources before and after the crash and see if the app became resource constrained and maybe that caused the crash. And I was thinking that Apple could monetize this because if I might buy a new phone to keep my Clash Royale from crashing if I knew that a new phone would stop the crashes. Lol

Being argumentative, I do think there's some incentive to Supercell telling me that it's not their fault that their app keeps crashing on me. Without further information, I might decide that it's their fault and switch to another mobile game. Lol

ObDisney: I do wonder given that people are complaining about the MDE app crashing, whether it's the MDE app itself or people are just running it on phones that are too skimpy - not that this might also be Disney's fault for making their app too fat.

bUU

I was more expecting that Apple would be able to somehow detect that an app running using their APIs/runtime and under their OS might be able to somehow indicate to me that an app crashed due to lack of resources and that I might want to buy a new phone.
I have never seen either iOS or Android suggest that you buy a new phone due to a crash. That's just not something the operating systems do.

Lensman

I have never seen either iOS or Android suggest that you buy a new phone due to a crash. That's just not something the operating systems do.
Lol of course not! How else would my crazy but super-creative idea be considered marketing genius?

It's like the idea I presented to my boss in 1988 that instead of simply writing applications that present bits to a screen, we should write applications that generate hypertext as their presentation layer, and then write a single hypertext interpretation layer that would generate the interactive screens. He thought the idea was crazy.

Last edited:

bUU

Back to the topic. The point is that Disney's apps stretch the capabilities of the less powerful devices and even browsers running on less powerful desktops. That doesn't preclude them from having server-side related problems as well, especially with users using the system in a manner inconsistent with its intention. Disney is especially plagued by fans who are so passionate that they seek out and exploit every loophole and effectively make it practically impossible to deliver excellent software, in today's environment where people readily and effectively share such exploits with each other. They face the issues that many companies face in today's marketplace - doing what they can to earn the most revenue despite the mess. And let's not lose sight of the reality of the mess that is the state of software in our society today: We have companies charged with protecting our private information regularly exposing that information to hackers and other miscreants - and currently there is no legal penalty for that. That's the standard that applies today. Just like anything else a company does, we always need to consider it in the context of, "How would the company make more money if they did things differently?" rather than just, "How would I have them do it if what I wanted was all that mattered?"

Last edited:

Trackmaster

I do agree that since I switched to a new phone, its more or less reliable. But there are crashes even when I use a high powered desktop. So I'm assuming that server overload can play a part in it as well. And the bandwidth does cost Disney money, so they have some skin in the game to stop pounding. But on the other hand, pounding does keep people on the app, and keeps Disney on people's minds, so it does have some marketing value.

bUU

I do agree that since I switched to a new phone, its more or less reliable. But there are crashes even when I use a high powered desktop.
I think you need to define what you mean by "crash". Typically, the word "crash" means that the application you're using effectively vanishes and you get an error message from the operating system. That being the case, it would be very unlikely for the server to be involved.

If you're receiving a cute error page from Disney itself, then it isn't a crash. Technically it is an exception - it is no different from when you spell something wrong and hit backspace on your keyboard. That could be that the server is busy handling other requests. That happens with every application to some extent - generally less with Amazon, Microsoft and Google; Comcast, Charter, Verizon, and the like - but my bank occasionally tells me that it is too busy to show me my balance, CNN occasionally tells me to try again later when I click on a video link, and my favorite online game occasionally spits out exception messages like that.

Trackmaster

I think you need to define what you mean by "crash". Typically, the word "crash" means that the application you're using effectively vanishes and you get an error message from the operating system. That being the case, it would be very unlikely for the server to be involved.

If you're receiving a cute error page from Disney itself, then it isn't a crash. Technically it is an exception - it is no different from when you spell something wrong and hit backspace on your keyboard. That could be that the server is busy handling other requests. That happens with every application to some extent - generally less with Amazon, Microsoft and Google; Comcast, Charter, Verizon, and the like - but my bank occasionally tells me that it is too busy to show me my balance, CNN occasionally tells me to try again later when I click on a video link, and my favorite online game occasionally spits out exception messages like that.

Right, I get the exceptions some on the PC when I'm booking. Its more common on a busy day during park hours. When I had an older phone, I couldn't even use the app at a certain point, but now its more or less OK with my new phone. I still kind of blame the app, as it was the only app I ever had any issues with for my old phone.

Personally, if they make FP+ such a game where you have to pound it just to get what you want, that gives an unfair advantage to people with higher end phones. So that's one of the reasons too that I think that Disney would be smart to do something to close the Pound the App loophole.

scottieRoss

Right, I get the exceptions some on the PC when I'm booking. Its more common on a busy day during park hours. When I had an older phone, I couldn't even use the app at a certain point, but now its more or less OK with my new phone. I still kind of blame the app, as it was the only app I ever had any issues with for my old phone.

Personally, if they make FP+ such a game where you have to pound it just to get what you want, that gives an unfair advantage to people with higher end phones. So that's one of the reasons too that I think that Disney would be smart to do something to close the Pound the App loophole.
So now you expect Disney to handicap those with high-end phones to make it fair for all? The US does not prohibit discrimination against people with crappy phones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom