FoxNews website article on NextGen

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I believe it will be free for anyone booking a package or any trips online with Disney or a TA.

Still seems like there ought to be a way for those staying off-site or for locals who don't need a hotel at all to take advantage of all this. If there isn't...well, it'll be more class warfare than we have now.

HM Spectre

Note, however, that he was indeed interested in profits, and recognized that was the right goal. He just had different (better) ideas about how to get there.

Of course he was, all business is in the end and that's a good thing so long as it's done with the right methods... profits are the juice that keeps it all going.

The $1B is going to be spent to bring in money for the company regardless... it's just a difference in management philosophy between putting in new age tracking to target customers and sell you more merch vs. taking that $1B, putting it into some much needed refurbs/repairs around the park and bringing in money by improving the quality (which is starting to lag because of decisions like this).

IMO NextGen is largely a misuse of resources. The money could be MUCH better spent if management had the right philosophy driving their decisions... there's no shortage of places in the World that could use some budget love. At some point the constant, relentless marketing and product pushing is going to rub guests the wrong way when it becomes too invasive (see: Facebook) and this is a big step in that direction.

Gregoryp73

Bingo!
That is the entire reason the NextGen project exists, to track your spending and figure out how to make you do more of it. They aren't investing a billion dollars just to make the queues more interesting, or have an AA say your name.

They want your spending data. With it they can tailor ads and such to your tastes, use your favorite characters to sell you things, etc. They will also be assigning a "value" to guests based on your worth to the company. A single male with no kids will have a much lower value than a family of four, which will have an effect on how each are treated.

I'm not a fan.

I would also think it would make the purchase of goods and services more efficient for disney as well. If they have this data, they would be able to measure demand more accurately making it possible to reduce waste in areas by being able to forcast.

This could positively affect their food outlets, transportation hubs, and anywhere they stick castmembers.

But yes, increase in impulse buying will definitely be a driving factor. It's like moving all of your favorite things to the checkout isle of the grocery store. :)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Of course he was, all business is in the end and that's a good thing so long as it's done with the right methods... profits are the juice that keeps it all going.

The $1B is going to be spent to bring in money for the company regardless... it's just a difference in management philosophy between putting in new age tracking to target customers and sell you more merch vs. taking that $1B, putting it into some much needed refurbs/repairs around the park and bringing in money by improving the quality (which is starting to lag because of decisions like this).

IMO NextGen is largely a misuse of resources. The money could be MUCH better spent if management had the right philosophy driving their decisions... there's no shortage of places in the World that could use some budget love. At some point the constant, relentless marketing and product pushing is going to rub guests the wrong way when it becomes too invasive (see: Facebook) and this is a big step in that direction.

Could be. Certainly, if the goal is to get ME to visit more often or to spend more, NextGen is not the right investment. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm the target, so I'm not sure I'm in a position to guess whether they'll hit the bullseye or not.

My point, though, was just that often-times, we on this forum criticize decisions made by Disney or TDO as being "profit-driven", implying that they shouldn't be. Even Walt was profit-driven, and to expect a public company to not be profit-driven is silly. The question is whether the decision is really the one that will produce the best profits over time or not. The quote suggests that Walt's philosophy was along the lines of "Quality will bring profits." Current decisions often seem to favor other aspects as being the best way to profits.

I run my business along the lines of Walt's quote, mostly because I have no marketing or merchandising skills, and I have no desire to work for anybody anymore. But there are plenty of companies in the part of the business world that I travel in that are much more profitable and valuable than my little company, and have gotten there in part by emphasizing things other than quality of service (quantity of service being the most common). I don't think I'd be good in that environment, so I stay where I am. But the other model certainly appears to be capable of generating significant profits.

dkosdros

Many of you don't see that this is where technology is headed. It is only a matter of time before we are all chipped. I would get chipped today. Why?!!? Because it will make my life more convenient, my money would be more accessible to only ME, I wouldn't need to carry a wallet and less risk on my identity being stolen, I for sure wouldn't have to worry about be pick pocketed.

But stop and think about it. Companies are already testing this technology now. My enhanced license has a chip in it, my bank card has a chip in it. Most places I visit to make purchases I don't even need to swipe my card. I just wave my wallet over the pad. Disney will be the first to launch this technology on a grand scale. Yes the money could be spent here and there. So what they decided to spend it there. Next year they will spend it somewhere else. But I am confident (yes this is my opinion) that this technology will improve every guests experience. From smaller wait times (As someone mentioned still the same # of people in the park) yes you are correct, but now those same # of people are evenly dispersed if a majority or even half of them were using xpass. It will be more popular than fast pass... Want to know why???

Because now you don’t have everyone and their brother running back and forth across the park for fast passes every few hours. Guess what?!?1 They will not get to stay with their family and actually enjoy what Disney is all about. They won't need to miss shows, rush through meals, because their day is laid out in front of them.

And if the price I have to pay is Disney knows what I’m buying and when I’m buying then so be it. I could think of 1000 things that are worst they could be doing.

There are people who accept change, adapt and roll with it and people that will fight tooth and nail and then they are the ones that actually like the change the most.

It will start with Disney and then you wait and see, things one by one will be disappearing from your wallet, Our pets are micro chipped and its only a matter of time before more people like myself say go for it. Technology is all about making life simpler, easier, and more convenient. All technology has a price. I think Disney is after my money and they will get it one way or another. My life will be simpler and I will enjoy my Disney experience that much more when this is announced. BRING IT ON!!!

mickeyminiemom

Still seems like there ought to be a way for those staying off-site or for locals who don't need a hotel at all to take advantage of all this. If there isn't...well, it'll be more class warfare than we have now.

How is that class warfare? Disney has a wide variety of accommodations that fit in the budgets of most. I like that it is free to WDW resort guest and that there is finally a perk only they get. Plus won't the regular fast pass be available for all others?

jeff59rt

Next they need to use this technology at Dr. Offices, because we all make that appointment months in advance then show up on time and always wait an hour!....then leave not knowing how much it just cost till we get home.....very smart Disney very smart.....:brick:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
How is that class warfare? Disney has a wide variety of accommodations that fit in the budgets of most. I like that it is free to WDW resort guest and that there is finally a perk only they get. Plus won't the regular fast pass be available for all others?

Biggest issue would be locals who don't need a hotel. But there are many who can't afford the kind of accomodations they want on site. Let's say a family can afford $100/night for accomodations. At that price point, they can get a room at the All-Stars or a 3 bedroom condo along 192. If they want a 3-bedroom condo onsite, it's $400+/night. So their choice is small room + xpass, or large space without. Only the wealthier family can get the large space + xpass. That makes class distinction. Class distinction at the hotels and resorts is, I believe, completely appropriate and to be expected. When it moves to the parks, which everybody pays the same amount to get into, I think there is a good chance for the distinction to result in anger and discontent. I've seen already some angry people when they are told they can't board an attraction during EMH.

MissMorrow

They already did, as soon as they classified their Resorts.

I don't see that as being the same thing. You pay for more amenities, you get more amenities. I've never been treated any differently by CM at the All-Stars vs the GF, nor am I treated differently in the parks based on where I'm staying or how much I'm spending on merch and food. It sounds to me like that will change, but I could be misunderstanding entirely.

Sans Souci

And of course we all know that the single male with no kids will never become a married man with two kids so we better not build the good customer service base when he doesn't count for anything...

It also seems a bit short-sighted to me because the family of four could very well be staying at value resort on a very tight budget (eating breakfast in the room and staying within DDP credits everyday) and the single guy could have more discretionary income. He could be staying in his own room at, say, the Yacht Club and meeting his friends for blow-out dinners at any of the signature restaurants. I don't know, I haven't run any hypothetical numbers. :shrug:

T-BoneMickeyFan

I work in the active/passive RFID world and have for a number of years. I have sat in on conversations with WDW when they were initially interested in active RFID but the technology was still in it's infancy. They are really not as interested in tracking you around the park for your enjoyment, they are interested in your spending/shopping habits (as this article outlines). The next gen RFID technology is much cheaper than it was 5 years ago and much easier to blend into the facade, which Disney is obsessed with. So they would leave the GPS/cell systems to track you in the park and use the Next Gen stuff to track you inside buildings via portals or transaction points.

I guess that the point of my rambling is that they are interested in separating you from your wallet but will try to make it look cool while they do it.

For the record i agree that then need to focus on spending some cash on certain attractions.

I like waking up with no plans some days in WDW. The XPass seems to force you to have everything planned. I'm not sure about this idea.

T-BoneMickeyFan

XPass feedback

I work in the active/passive RFID world and have for a number of years. I have sat in on conversations with WDW when they were initially interested in active RFID but the technology was still in it's infancy. They are really not as interested in tracking you around the park for your enjoyment, they are interested in your spending/shopping habits (as this article outlines). The next gen RFID technology is much cheaper than it was 5 years ago and much easier to blend into the facade, which Disney is obsessed with. So they would leave the GPS/cell systems to track you in the park and use the Next Gen stuff to track you inside buildings via portals or transaction points.

I guess that the point of my rambling is that they are interested in separating you from your wallet but will try to make it look cool while they do it.

For the record i agree that then need to focus on spending some cash on certain attractions.

I like waking up with no plans some days in WDW. The XPass seems to force you to have everything planned. I'm not sure about this idea.

EOD K9

It also seems a bit short-sighted to me because the family of four could very well be staying at value resort on a very tight budget (eating breakfast in the room and staying within DDP credits everyday) and the single guy could have more discretionary income. He could be staying in his own room at, say, the Yacht Club and meeting his friends for blow-out dinners at any of the signature restaurants. I don't know, I haven't run any hypothetical numbers. :shrug:

Exactly......that's me. I bought my DVC as a single male and went there twice a year since 2005. I've also been there plenty of times prior to '05. Now I'm married and my wife enjoys the place just as much. So, everyone needs to be treated equally on that. Additionally, class does exist in the hotels, but in the parks themselves, no one has a clue how much your stay costs. This next gen has the potential to cause some heated arguments in lines at the parks.

I'm not liking anything I've been hearing about nextgen and XPass. Especially as a local. As for the rest of this thread? ...

WhoseLineImNotInvolvedGIF.gif

Tom

Beta Return

I thought it was interesting that the article said travel agencies are preparing for this already. What are they preparing? There's nothing to prepare for, except to tell agents that they might be asked by their clients, in the unforeseen future, to book some rides and shows. There are no systems to integrate or web forms to code. This is all still blue sky, as far as we know.

Tom

Beta Return
Exactly......that's me. I bought my DVC as a single male and went there twice a year since 2005. I've also been there plenty of times prior to '05. Now I'm married and my wife enjoys the place just as much. So, everyone needs to be treated equally on that. Additionally, class does exist in the hotels, but in the parks themselves, no one has a clue how much your stay costs. This next gen has the potential to cause some heated arguments in lines at the parks.

Right. The Resorts are indeed class-based. However, once you pass through a park gate, everyone is "equal". Everyone paid the same exact price to be in the parks, and should be given equal opportunity to take advantage of park amenities and features.

However, just like we have the right to pay more to stay at a nicer hotel, we also have the right to pay ahead of time to reserve ride times and show seats. We already reserve dinner times (it doesn't cost to make the reservation, but that's because you pay when you use it, by eating).

EOD K9

Ed, I'm not against paying more for using it, but initial reports are saying that only Deluxe resort guests will be able to use it initially. That's where class in the parks may cause a rift.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ed, I'm not against paying more for using it, but initial reports are saying that only Deluxe resort guests will be able to use it initially. That's where class in the parks may cause a rift.

Why? Do you get upset when you are eating a hamburger knowing that others are eating filet elsewhere? You had the ability to go somewhere else to eat the filet, but you chose the hamburger. It's the same thing with deluxe resorts and other resorts. You COULD have stayed at the Deluxe had you so chosen.

ibaw

X-Pass aside, and focusing on bottom line driven / profit hungry TDO...

How is this project any different than Walt Disney AND today's management strategically positioning the shops on Main Street USA? Or pumping in the smell of popcorn when you enter the park? Or pumping Oxygen into the stores on Main Street? Or any other examples of strategically positioning product / using environment enhancements (even just re-arranging displays/checkout lines or brightening up stores) to increase sales?

This project is finally allowing The Walt Disney Company (not only TDO) to make use of technology that is readily available. Believe it or not, it is happening to you right now. Just by logging onto this website, or any other site for that matter (especially search engines) you are providing information on you likes/interests/habits to the electronic world. Ever wonder why ads on google seem like something you may be interested in?

I guess my point is that this is to be expected and has been accepted in other 'traditional' or 'non-technologically based' formats. To say it is an invasion of personal privacy... well you have already forfeited that argument by logging onto the internet. I am sorry to say, but no matter how much one may resist, we are all already contributing to this new age.... Ohhhh... and have been accepting it for years in the past!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom