Fox themed fifth gate or Hollywood Studios.

Gelatoni

Original Poster
I think they haven't figured out that classic idea of a theme park is gone. Also it's not like disney isn't going to buy fox and not include them into wdw. I'd like them to have their own gate but if they part it out to each other gate thats fine too but they wouldn't waste the great ip's. Someone is going to buy fox it's not an if but a when at this point. Disney seems to be the leader.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think they haven't figured out that classic idea of a theme park is gone. Also it's not like disney isn't going to buy fox and not include them into wdw. I'd like them to have their own gate but if they part it out to each other gate thats fine too but they wouldn't waste the great ip's. Someone is going to buy fox it's not an if but a when at this point. Disney seems to be the leader.
They already have Avatar at WDW. I do think if the deal goes through there is a much greater chance of seeing Avatar in other parks outside of FL as well.

No Name

I’m still waiting to hear what the theme for the “re-imagined” Hollywood Studios Park will be. Seems to be Studio or IP based lands as well (at least the back half of the park). Maybe they just add a Fox Studios Land in the Echo Lake area to go with Lucas Films, Muppet Courtyard and Pixar Land. Although they are now removing Pixar Place and having just Toy Story Land so maybe there are some bigger plans for a common theme that ties the park together. I’m interested to see if the new name and theme are revealed this year with the opening of Toy Story Land or if they wait for SW.

I’m also curious to see how GoTG will fit into EPCOT.

I've stopped waiting.

It baffles me that some think SWL and TSL fit the park because they're based on movie franchises. So many problems with that. First of all, that is almost completely tangential to the experience at hand. How something fits depends on what it actually is, not where the source material stems from. Pandora must be a total misfit in DAK, because that park isn't about movies!! Cars Land in DCA must be a total misfit as well, because that park isn't about movies either!! What were they thinking?? Second, the park has always been more about people's dream of becoming a star, but that's for another time.

So I'm expecting no justification because people in the company don't see anything to justify. I have more hope for the GotG ride in Epcot.

I'd be interested to see how four parks with no theme would fare. Before Walt Disney World, amusement/theme parks were a day trip or one part of a larger vacation. WDW invented the very idea of spending an entire vacation at theme parks, and did so by making sure that each day was unique. If each park feels like the same experience, then are people going to be inclined to visit all four? As a theme park fan, it's hard to even answer that, but I suspect the GP might burn out.

I hope Disney never puts that to the test.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've stopped waiting.

It baffles me that some think SWL and TSL fit the park because they're based on movie franchises. So many problems with that. First of all, that is almost completely tangential to the experience at hand. How something fits depends on what it actually is, not where the source material stems from. Pandora must be a total misfit in DAK, because that park isn't about movies!! Cars Land in DCA must be a total misfit as well, because that park isn't about movies either!! What were they thinking?? Second, the park has always been more about people's dream of becoming a star, but that's for another time.

So I'm expecting no justification because people in the company don't see anything to justify. I have more hope for the GotG ride in Epcot.
There will be some sort of attempt at an overall theme with a backstory. This is Disney, even the shopping mall has a backstory. I am pretty curious how they will tie in old time Hollywood with Toy Story Land and Star Wars and then what they do with the Echo Lake area. The justification may be convoluted and questionable to us as purist park fans but they will still have one.

As far as GoTG, it’s a hard sell for me thematically. The ride itself may very well be great, but so far all we got for how it fits is Star Lord visited EPCOT as a kid. I just don’t see how it fits next to say Test Track or Space Ship Earth or Living with the Land. I’m glad they aren’t just doing a guardians of the Universe of Energy overlay by replacing Ellen, Bill Nye and stupid Judy with Star Lord, Groot and Rocket but it’s also going to be hard to explain how it fits into whatever the theme of EPCOT is supposed to be these days.

No Name

There will be some sort of attempt at an overall theme with a backstory. This is Disney, even the shopping mall has a backstory. I am pretty curious how they will tie in old time Hollywood with Toy Story Land and Star Wars and then what they do with the Echo Lake area. The justification may be convoluted and questionable to us as purist park fans but they will still have one.

As far as GoTG, it’s a hard sell for me thematically. The ride itself may very well be great, but so far all we got for how it fits is Star Lord visited EPCOT as a kid. I just don’t see how it fits next to say Test Track or Space Ship Earth or Living with the Land. I’m glad they aren’t just doing a guardians of the Universe of Energy overlay by replacing Ellen, Bill Nye and stupid Judy with Star Lord, Groot and Rocket but it’s also going to be hard to explain how it fits into whatever the theme of EPCOT is supposed to be these days.

I'd bet big money against you if I had the means of doing so.

I really don't think they see the need to justify anything. Nor can I imagine what contrived backstory they'd possibly come up with. I mean, it can't be something park-wide. All the Star Wars nerds will be crying that it isn't CANON!!
They've already explained the premise/backstory of SWL individually, and it's more geared toward DL, where people are complaining it doesn't fit. "Now home to those who prefer to stay out of the mainstream" is practically antithetical to DHS.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd bet big money against you if I had the means of doing so.

I really don't think they see the need to justify anything. Nor can I imagine what contrived backstory they'd possibly come up with. I mean, it can't be something park-wide. All the Star Wars nerds will be crying that it isn't CANON!!
They've already explained the premise/backstory of SWL individually, and it's more geared toward DL, where people are complaining it doesn't fit. "Now home to those who prefer to stay out of the mainstream" is practically antithetical to DHS.
There is going to be a name change and with it a new overall theme or vision for the park. Just about all elements of the working studio theme are gone or will be with the finished product so they can’t leave it as is. There’s no reason SW can’t work within an overall theme. Pandora is actually a pretty good fit at AK and you are supposed to be transported to an alien planet with that land. I assume the theme for DHS will be something generic like living in the movies. Not sure how they integrate things like Hollywood Blvd and Aerosmith into that, but the park is going to have a general theme and a backstory. Even IoA which is basically an IP park has a loose theme of islands based on literature.

No Name

There is going to be a name change and with it a new overall theme or vision for the park. Just about all elements of the working studio theme are gone or will be with the finished product so they can’t leave it as is. There’s no reason SW can’t work within an overall theme. Pandora is actually a pretty good fit at AK and you are supposed to be transported to an alien planet with that land. I assume the theme for DHS will be something generic like living in the movies. Not sure how they integrate things like Hollywood Blvd and Aerosmith into that, but the park is going to have a general theme and a backstory. Even IoA which is basically an IP park has a loose theme of islands based on literature.

Hopefully the mortician can hit the "post reply" button for me because I died upon reading this. "Living in the movies" and "islands based on literature" are not themes. That's almost completely tangential in regard to the park. Since there'll be no further "theme" to be revealed, I cannot think of a better name for the park than Hollywood Studios. The dedication makes it quite clear that Hollywood is "not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine. "Studios" carries a similarly strong connotation to the entertainment industry. 99% of people haven't read the dedication and don't know it was once a working studio, but don't blink an eye over the name.

I'd love to hear what you think the new name should be, but I don't know if the graveyard has wifi.

Last edited:

No Name

I'm sure the name will be changed so that Bob Iger and His Ego can get his name on the plaque and make it seem like he's an angel from heaven who rescued such a poorly built park. It has naught to do with the fact that he let the park stagnate for the first decade he was in charge and now has so much closed off at once. He's not an angel from heaven. I would know, because I just arrived there and asked around.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hopefully the mortician can hit the "post reply" button for me because I died upon reading this. "Living in the movies" and "islands based on literature" are not themes. That's almost completely tangential in regard to the park. Since there'll be no attempt at a direction beyond that, I cannot think of a better name for the park than Hollywood Studios. The dedication makes it quite clear that Hollywood is "not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine. "Studios" carries a similarly strong connotation to the entertainment industry. 99% of people haven't read the dedication and don't know it was once a working studio, but don't blink an eye over the name.

I'd love to hear what you think the new name should be, but I don't know if the graveyard has wifi.
I could be wrong, but I think the name is going to change. I have no idea what it will be. Depends on the direction they decide to take. It is no longer a studio park and parks that end in Studios are traditionally studio parks.

When MGM Studios opened it was very clearly a backstage studio park. Besides the backlot tour and Streets or America sections the rest of the attractions were behind the scenes looks at how films and TV shows are made. This included attractions like Indy stunt show, Sounds Dangerous, and even Muppets. Even the AT-ATs at Star Tours were made to look like a set piece. I can’t imagine they will continue to call it Hollywood Studios when all of the studio elements are gone.

I was being sarcastic when I said IoA had Islands based on literature as a theme. The theme is more detailed than that. I believe the slogan is something like “live the adventure” and the overall park is supposed to be a journey of exploration into various themed islands all based on adventure where you can live stories based in literature (books, comics, etc..). I could see a similar theme based on movies instead of books for whatever DHS ends up called. They will probably keep Hollywood in the name and work it into the theme because of the front half of the park.

ohioguy

Disney's Hollywood Adventure is the perfect name-- with MonstersLand coming, and the Muppet area cut-out (and wouldn't and Indiana Jones Land be awesome??), this could end up the best theme park of the four.

bclane

After SWGE opens the name will be changed to Mickey’s Money Machine (MMM). The theme will be open wallets/geek bankruptcy...and I will be the first one in line. :joyfull:

Larry Mondello

Just had to check. I know how much of a stickler you are when people using words that aren't technically correct :) In this case, it's only 21st Century Fox, not Fox in general. And they are specifically excluding the Fox broadcasting, Fox News, Fox Business Network, and Fox Sports from the sale.

Damn, I was looking forward to "The Hannity Adventure Ride"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m still waiting to hear what the theme for the “re-imagined” Hollywood Studios Park will be.

I'm starting to think WDW won't rename the park. They've been doubling down on the Hollywood theme for the park's public spaces. And they've been doubling down on putting in IPs from studios that Disney owns. Based on that information, you would think they'd call it: Disney Hollywood Studios.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm starting to think WDW won't rename the park. They've been doubling down on the Hollywood theme for the park's public spaces. And they've been doubling down on putting in IPs from studios that Disney owns. Based on that information, you would think they'd call it: Disney Hollywood Studios.
It’s possible they changed their mind on that. Bob Iger confirmed the name change for the park at the 2015 annual shareholder meeting.

Cmdr_Crimson

Still have a feeling it will become Disney's Hollywood Adventure.....As this sign has been popping up on construction walls "Adventure Is Near!"...While I strongly feel that is the way they are going...It would fit the concept of what The park is trying to represent...Adventures within a Hollywood based world...
Star-Wars-Land_Full_31385.jpg;width=1600;quality=60

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Still have a feeling it will become Disney's Hollywood Adventure.....As this sign has been popping up on construction walls "Adventure Is Near!"...While I strongly feel that is the way they are going...It would fit the concept of what The park is trying to represent...Adventures within a Hollywood based world...
Interesting. You could be on to something.

No Name

Universal seems fine with Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure, so you best bet the end of the new name will either remain "Studios" or change to "Adventure." If there's one "theme" that's been largely consistent since before opening day, it's directly competing with your neighbor. On that same note, will they feel the need to justify these projects any more than Universal has justified Diagon Alley or Skull Island or Super Nintendo World? I don't think so.

Bob Chapek described it as a "transition from a park that puts you behind the scenes to one that puts you in them." What scenes are we being put in? :confused:

It’s possible they changed their mind on that. Bob Iger confirmed the name change for the park at the 2015 annual shareholder meeting.

Right, well he only accidentally confirmed it because he thought it had been announced. So they'd definitely planned to announce it earlier.

I don't think the four fingers talk to the thumb. There's also this.

walt-disney-world-hollywood-studios-mickey-minnie-runaway-railway-opening-date.jpg

Just had to check. I know how much of a stickler you are when people using words that aren't technically correct :) In this case, it's only 21st Century Fox, not Fox in general. And they are specifically excluding the Fox broadcasting, Fox News, Fox Business Network, and Fox Sports from the sale.

20th Century Fox is the film studio, 21st Century Fox is the parent company.

Last edited:

DisneyDoctor

Disney's Hollywood Adventure is the perfect name-- with MonstersLand coming, and the Muppet area cut-out (and wouldn't and Indiana Jones Land be awesome??), this could end up the best theme park of the four.
MonstersLand? Have I been living under a rock?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom