Four Parks...One World..One Question..

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Hi folks,Me again with another question,I know," what's he wanting to know now "? It's came to my conclusion whilst being a member on this magical site,that lots of you don't like Mickeys sorcerer hat at HS. I'll never forget my first visit back in 2004. I saw Cinderellas castle and my jaw went into lock position,then Spaceship Earth and again I was in awe,the Tree of life at AK was another awesome feat with all those animal etches,and last but not least,Mickeys magic hat. Cool really cool,as I stood looking up Hollywood Boulevard I thought now that looks so much better than the pics I had seen.So why do so many people not like it?:(

Weather_Lady

I think it's because it obliterates the long-range view of the Great Movie Ride, the building for which is a beautiful replica of the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre. That building used to present a stunning view upon entering the park, and set the scene perfectly for Old Hollywood glamor -- in comparison, the hat seems garish, clumsy and out of place. If they wanted to incorporate Mickey as the centerpiece, a more fitting way would have been to honor him in his "Old Hollywood" days -- for example, a more understated statue of Mickey as Steamboat Willy.

As I recall, the first time I visited, Disney was using the water tower with the ears as the "symbol" for what was then Disney-MGM studios, which also suited the theme better as far as I was concerned.

karl75

i personally don't mind it. IMHO i think that because it is not an original part of the park it does not belong and where it is situated it hides the beautiful view of the chinese theatre behind. I have often wondered what it would look like looking up hollywood boulevard without the hat there.

oh well you might start some rants off with this question.:D

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I always liked the hat. I agree it should have something more than a pin shop, but it's a great icon for the park. And if you want to see Graumans Chinese theater, go to California and see it. DHS is a replica of sorts.
Couldn't agree more..Saw Graumans in 2001 whilst in Los Angles,loved it,but it's not Disney.

wiigirl

I don't mind the concept of either, it could have been executed better. If it were a fountain, with landscaping, and the HAT incorporated than that would be awesome. But it's a shop underneath it... which is lame if you ask me.

100% agree!
75.gif

tink729

I don't mind the giant sorcerer's hat, I just wish it was placed in a different location in DHS. I miss the old view of The Great Movie Ride, it used to perfectly introduce the glamorous Hollywood look and feel of the park.

cheezbat

Many of you obviously have never seen the view before the hat...and as someone who has been to the real Chinese theater a few times as well as DHS, I can tell you that it's not an identical copy: it's a grander, prettier DISNEY take on the theater. The colors are brighter and more theme-parkish at the Studios. Also, it seems the angles and points on the building are more dynamic...not to mention the view at DHS us way prettier than what you see in Hollywood.

I've always liked the theater and considered it DHS' castle...when I see it I immediately think Hollywood, and now that Disney/MGM Studios is Disney's Hollywood Studios, it makes way more sense to use that as an icon for a park representing Hollywood.

Jo DeVil

Hi folks,Me again with another question,I know," what's he wanting to know now "? It's came to my conclusion whilst being a member on this magical site,that lots of you don't like Mickeys sorcerer hat at HS. I'll never forget my first visit back in 2004. I saw Cinderellas castle and my jaw went into lock position,then Spaceship Earth and again I was in awe,the Tree of life at AK was another awesome feat with all those animal etches,and last but not least,Mickeys magic hat. Cool really cool,as I stood looking up Hollywood Boulevard I thought now that looks so much better than the pics I had seen.So why do so many people not like it?:(
Same here each park has it iconic mascot Mk castle, EPCOT Spaceship earth, AK The tree of life and yes DHS is the hat these are the things that start the butterflies in the stomach as I step into each Park and turn in to an instant child and they let me know I am home! TTFN Jo

luv

I think it's because it obliterates the long-range view of the Great Movie Ride, the building for which is a beautiful replica of the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre. That building used to present a stunning view upon entering the park, and set the scene perfectly for Old Hollywood glamor -- in comparison, the hat seems garish, clumsy and out of place. If they wanted to incorporate Mickey as the centerpiece, a more fitting way would have been to honor him in his "Old Hollywood" days -- for example, a more understated statue of Mickey as Steamboat Willy.
ITA.

Try taking a pic of the grand theater entrance and see how much you love the hat then.

The theater looked great and it fit, thematically.

I do like the hat and would LOVE it somewhere else. I think they should put it somewhere at the airport. That would be cool. But it would have to go somewhere that wouldn't hold up traffic when people tried to take pics.

lazyboy97o

I don't mind the giant sorcerer's hat, I just wish it was placed in a different location in DHS. I miss the old view of The Great Movie Ride, it used to perfectly introduce the glamorous Hollywood look and feel of the park.
No matter where else it is placed it will still be out of character and a visual intrusion. In some places it would even intrude upon the World Showcase.

I agree with this. I don't mind the hat so much; maybe it could have been placed better, but i like it as an icon for the park.
How does it fit as an icon? What does it have to do with Hollywood? Production? It is part of a short cartoon included in a feature that even many Disney fans are not too keen on actually watching. Why not a giant Steamboat Willie Hat? Or a giant version of Rosebud? Or a giant Umbrella? Or a giant anything that has appeared in a film of some note?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom