Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

eliza61nyc

Ummm...what? :oops: I ain't drinkin' that much soda in a day unless there's alcohol included in that price.

lol, I think the 55 dollar price included "basic" booze. beer, cheap wine, standard drinks. I remember some enterprising person had a excel spread sheet that said you would need to drink 6-7 drinks per day to break even.

then you get drink "fatigue" once you buy the package you start drinking just to say you didn't waste your money.

the soda and water package was 26 bucks per person. that's 80 bucks for 3.

The cheapest was a soda only package which was 9 bucks a day per person. not sure if you can get it for only 1 day, I doubt it.

I can't for the life of me remember what the ala carte price was. last RC cruise I took was about 5 years ago.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
lol, I think the 55 dollar price included "basic" booze. beer, cheap wine, standard drinks. I remember some enterprising person had a excel spread sheet that said you would need to drink 6-7 drinks per day to break even.

then you get drink "fatigue" once you buy the package you start drinking just to say you didn't waste your money.

the soda and water package was 26 bucks per person. that's 80 bucks for 3.

The cheapest was a soda only package which was 9 bucks a day per person. not sure if you can get it for only 1 day, I doubt it.

I can't for the life of me remember what the ala carte price was. last RC cruise I took was about 5 years ago.

"You'd have to drink 6-7 drinks a day to break even..."

"I accept your challenge!"

:hilarious:

John park hopper

What about Universal or Atlantis or cruises? Do folks get upset at their 3.59 bottle of soda or lol is 3.99 the line in the sand?

Our Alaskan 2 week cruise in June on Holland America we did the drink package (got a special deal) it was $ 200 for 2 people --unlimited soda,bottled water and alcohol (wine/ liquor). I would not pay the daily drink package some have posted --not worth it

eliza61nyc

Our Alaskan 2 week cruise in June on Holland America we did the drink package (got a special deal) it was $ 200 for 2 people --unlimited soda,bottled water and alcohol (wine/ liquor). I would not pay the daily drink package some have posted --not worth it

Absolutely. Someone else told me that if you sign up the day you book you can get a discount on the drink packages.

Unfortunately just like the mouseworld per bottle the prices are insane

christyd2

And right to @xdan0920 ‘s point...

You go to see the awful giants/Jets for 4 hours...just like broadway...not 7 days on average.

That is a false analogy.
And right to @xdan0920 ‘s point...

You go to see the awful giants/Jets for 4 hours...just like broadway...not 7 days on average.

That is a false analogy.

My thoughts exactly! I once had a co-worker that would complain that everyone would complain about the price of gasoline when milk prices per gallon were higher. Um, last time I checked families don't drink 30 gallons of milk a week. Sports events are only 3-4 hours on average. Local amusement parks are only typically a one day visit. Paying exorbitant amounts of $ for food 3 hours to one day is NOT the equivalent to paying exorbitant amounts of $ for an entire week.

eliza61nyc

My thoughts exactly! I once had a co-worker that would complain that everyone would complain about the price of gasoline when milk prices per gallon were higher. Um, last time I checked families don't drink 30 gallons of milk a week. Sports events are only 3-4 hours on average. Local amusement parks are only typically a one day visit. Paying exorbitant amounts of $ for food 3 hours to one day is NOT the equivalent to paying exorbitant amounts of $ for an entire week.
no its not but let me ask, where do you vacation for a week or more?

Universal drink prices seem to be in the same ball park (50 cent cheaper is not what I would call a discount)
cruises as many posters have said has pretty stiff prices.
The two Caribbean resorts (Atlantis and Hawaii) that I've been too are probably worse than the mouse world.

So please where are all these captive vacation destinations where food is as cheap as home? now major cities you have an advantage that you can find local stores.

I think the point people want to make with sports venues and entertainment venues, is that just like Disney they have you as a CAPTIVE guest.. whenever that happens you are going to pay through the nose.

You have just as many options at Disney as you do when you visit the local amusement park. you can go off site and pay normal prices. You can leave at the end of the day you choose not to.
Length of stay is secondary, the point again being if you are held captive, you pay. If you want convenience, it cost.

Again no one is saying the prices are cheap but anyone who goes to entertainment venues would NOT be shocked.

Ironically, last night family and I went to Cheesecake factory to get dessert. My slice of Linda's fudge cake is about 50% less. My son said, Mom your cake was disneyfied". 😖

lastly a person very well could extrapolate the a sports stadium. If you go to disney for 7 days, the cost would be on par for a fan who goes to a phillies game 7 times during the season. they might not be back to back days but the cost of purchasing 7 days of dinners at a professional stadium would not be a bad comparison. k over the co

Last edited:

disneyflush

lastly a person very well could extrapolate the a sports stadium. If you go to disney for 7 days, the cost would be on par for a fan who goes to a phillies game 7 times during the season. they might not be back to back days but the cost of purchasing 7 days of dinners at a professional stadium would not be a bad comparison. k over the co

You could choose any event type of thing with high concession prices and call it the same as Disney pricing given enough hour/day multiples. You lose the intensity of the pricing pressure as you extrapolate those short term prices into a year-round vacation equivalency.

eliza61nyc

You could choose any event type of thing with high concession prices and call it the same as Disney pricing given enough hour/day multiples. You lose the intensity of the pricing pressure as you extrapolate those short term prices into a year-round vacation equivalency.
Absolutely, its just that it's very hard to do a head to head comparison as there just aren't many long term amusement parks.
But does having to pay 5 bucks for a soda less price gouging because you only doing once a week? Nope.

Last edited:

Nick Pappagiorgio

It's called capitalism, free market...the same reason gasoline prices rise during the holidays...you know, the SAME gasoline that has been sitting at the terminal for 6 weeks..

Yes the oil companies are some of the most hated companies in the world. On the most hated companies list you see a lot of airlines and cable companies. All companies that are famous for reducing the quality of their products while increasing prices. Disney seems to be moving in that direction.

Lensman

The talk of cruise drink packages makes me think that there might be a soda & water package coming to the parks. What do people think? Or would it be too cannibalistic to the Disney Dining Plan?

SSH

"You'd have to drink 6-7 drinks a day to break even..."

"I accept your challenge!"

:hilarious:

Those packages include all the specialty coffees and bottled waters you want as well - it isn't just the booze. 2-3 waters/day during hot Caribbean climates; 2 lattes or espressos in the am, 1-2 frozen cocktails by the pool, a glass of wine with dinner or during the evening show and an after dinner cappucino - and you're already at 9 "drinks" - but I'd hardly call that excessive drinking for a 14-16 hour period on vacation. We always get them at discounted rates, as we do balconies and they're included in the package promo. I won't say "free" because it's not, but definitely discounted and won't sail without one.:inlove:

erasure fan1

Yes the oil companies are some of the most hated companies in the world. On the most hated companies list you see a lot of airlines and cable companies. All companies that are famous for reducing the quality of their products while increasing prices. Disney seems to be moving in that direction.
Very very true. The issue is people don't need a Disney vacation. People need gas, internet, phone service and to fly so even if they are hated people still need their services. Disney, not so much, so it's a slippery slope.

Animaniac93-98

For me, after my trip last week, I will no longer be doing any table service or buffet meals at Disney unless I can pay in full for specific meals in advance (like the dinner shows) or I have a gift card to put towards the total. I used to book several, but now the value to me has been largely eliminated. I will also continue to fill up the same bottle of water (as I started doing mid-trip) and will try to have groceries sent in advance. Now that I'm also familiar with the Lynx bus and cheaper dining programs at other parks (like SeaWorld's all-day dining), I will be more likely to eat off site.

Last time I ate at the Biergarten for lunch in 2014 it was $27 + tax and tip. The $44 price may only be $17 more, but by trying to squeeze an extra 63% out of me for the same meal, they have guaranteed that I will never eat there again. Other restaurants have now met a similar fate.

I've done the math and the dining plan has never made sense for the trips I do. I know I'm better off getting a room only discount and eating when I'm hungry, instead of forcing myself to justify some artificial, potential bargain.

LSLS

I keep seeing this comparison to restaurants/sports/etc. If you are going to really compare, let me know the next time you show up to a football game and the cheeseburger gets jacked up by 20% at halftime. I am a lot more upset that the prices got increased on EVERYTHING, all at once, and without any warning then just the fact that coke costs $0.50 more.

Patcheslee

Someone should change the title of this thread. It's not just snacks and soda that's gone up. Prices have jumped across the board 20%. Saying it's just bottled water and soda is downplaying the true impact.
I noticed I think it was Restaurantosarus also dropped the double cheese burger off the menu. I haven't checked other places yet but they may have dropped items at other places as well.

eliza61nyc

I keep seeing this comparison to restaurants/sports/etc. If you are going to really compare, let me know the next time you show up to a football game and the cheeseburger gets jacked up by 20% at halftime. I am a lot more upset that the prices got increased on EVERYTHING, all at once, and without any warning then just the fact that coke costs $0.50 more.

Oh please are you kidding me? I have gone to Phillies games where they have jacket up the price on the 2 day of a 3 game series AND I have seen them jack up the price from team to team. So you could go see them play the mets and water will be 2.50, very next day when Boston comes to town the price is 1 more.

And ever since the Eagles won the superbowl every single thing in that stadium is more, they have not lowered the prices since the lost the last 3 games.

I will say it's a bit easier to get around the water and pretzel prices. lol this is Philly, outside every parking lot at the stadium complex is an enterprising person selling water and pretzels. :p

Do you think it's more of the fact that Disney is now acting like the rest of the real world?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom