Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

Missing20K

Price increases across property at the end of/beginning of, a new financial quarter. Makes one not a liar, when telling analysts the new forward earnings growth numbers.

Also, Disney vacations = luxury vacations on par with (examples used thus far) Atlantis Bahamas, Jersey Shore beachfront/boardwalk, Aspen, Vail, and numerous Euro destinations. Not saying it's right or wrong, just trying to figure out where the majority feel a Disney vacation falls in the spectrum of family vacation destinations.

Lower margins and higher volumes are unacceptable. They really seem to be shooting for high margins and lower volumes. And I really don't know how I feel about it, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my ability to pay.

kong1802

Price increases across property at the end of/beginning of, a new financial quarter. Makes one not a liar, when telling analysts the new forward earnings growth numbers.

Also, Disney vacations = luxury vacations on par with (examples used thus far) Atlantis Bahamas, Jersey Shore beachfront/boardwalk, Aspen, Vail, and numerous Euro destinations. Not saying it's right or wrong, just trying to figure out where the majority feel a Disney vacation falls in the spectrum of family vacation destinations.

Lower margins and higher volumes are unacceptable. They really seem to be shooting for high margins and lower volumes. And I really don't know how I feel about it, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my ability to pay.

We never viewed Disney vacations as a luxury vacation. Most likely, because, they weren't built to be and only recently have they started actively pursuing that description. That's why I have a hard time paying more than we already pay. We are letting our AP's ride into the sunset. It's a theme park (a great one), but I will never look at it like I do a trip to Europe or a true luxury vacation.

MaxW

Take it easy kid. You can spout off your opinion all you want. Maybe start a thread that says, "Disney prices, are they high enough?" and go on and on about how you paid $12.50 for a beer at AT&T stadium one time. You can also toss out your little Econ 100 level platitudes. You can bring the usual crew with you, and the rest of us can be left to discuss what is happening at WDW.
Wow, great counter point. Someone disagrees with you and you dismiss them arrogantly. But yes, clearly I wasn't discussing what is happening in WDW because I don't agree with you. Get off your high horse.

John park hopper

In another post:
Word from inside the park is that there are signs of some significant slowdown in attendance this month.

Alarm bells are beginning to sound, with various areas being asked to trim back labor and begin cost saving measures.

For those of you who may not be regular readers, this isn't entirely new, and has occurred several times over the last couple of years.

At the same time they are predicting a slow down (demand?) they raise prices. Disney doesn't seem follow the supply and demand model.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Wow, great counter point. Someone disagrees with you and you dismiss them arrogantly. But yes, clearly I wasn't discussing what is happening in WDW because I don't agree with you. Get off your high horse.
What do you even disagree with? Is it your position that prices haven't been raised exponentially over night?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Has anyone been able to confirm or deny a price increase at F&W booths as well?

After seeing these increases, I can't wait to see what they have in store for APs next month (pure speculation on my part, based on the fact that they will want to raise prices before AP holders can renew and get a crack at SW:GE with their AP). $1000, anyone?

AEfx

As far as the argument about eating at Disney for a week, it is the same as any tourist destination/resort. Using the Las Vegas example again, there is a Buca Di Beppo in the Excalibur. A large spaghetti with meat sauce is $36.49 vs $31.99 at the one closest to my home in South Florida. That is 14% higher. How about $20.00 for a breakfast buffet that doesn't even have a custom omelet station?

If the difference was something like a 14% differential, instead of 50-100% differential at WDW, we would be having a far different discussion.

I get it - you are part of the "Disney can do whatever it wants so shut-up about it" crowd. While they can do whatever they want, we also can talk about it, judge it, and share our own experiences around it, as well.

disneyflush

I recommend refill mugs or keeping snacks in the room for those on a budget. Payroll just went up a good chunk so naturally prices follow.

I personally think the CM's are worth it and consider these increases their tips in a way.

WDW has 74,000 employees. Lets just assume incorrectly that every single one of them made $11.00 per hour. Lets also assume they each were full time workers at 2,000 per year. Now lets give each of them a $4.00 raise per hour. We will ignore, for now:
- the percentage of workers earning more than $11.00 per hour
- the percentage of workers who are part time

The total cost of the raise to Disney in this scenario is $592 million dollars in 2021 when it actually goes into full effect. This is a lot of money.

Lets also understand Disney is a $175 billion dollar company that had its tax rate go effectively fro 33% this year to 22% under the new corporate tax laws. Lets assume this will add roughly 25% annually to the free cash flow for the company (this is the reported number by analysts). Since 2015 Disney has had annual free cash flows of 7.12 billion, 8.36 billion, 8.72 billion, for '15, '16, and '17, respectively. 2018 is on pace to be a shade over 10 billion.

The new tax rate turns into a free gift of roughly $2.5 billion dollars in cash to Disney annually.

Given the gift of a minimum of $2.5 billion additional profit each year Disney did the absolute right thing and raised its lowest employees pay to $15 per hour. This raise, even judging its near-max cost to the company, takes up about 21% of the new $2.5 billion dollars the government gifted them annually. I applaud Disney for making the decision to use a fraction of this money to better their workers' lives. I'm sure most of us do.

But they didn't do that with the money. They gave a raise 3 years into the future (when the total savings from the tax plan will be $7.5 billion conservatively by that time) and then immediately began raising the prices of almost everything on property then pointing to the employee raises as the reasoning. Other people on these boards are doing the same thing. "Of course they are raising everything, they gave huge raises this year to the dear CMs." Its nonsense. The raises haven't even kicked in but the price hikes sure did. The tax savings are already hitting the bottom line and won't stop.

Lets call a spade a spade and just be honest that the company is being very greedy in a time where the business environment has never been better for them. You can continue to wave your pompoms and that is certainly your right but its just so silly. I don't get why you are so pro-everything that happens at WDW but you don't even go to the parks to support them.

DisneyJoe

Has anyone been able to confirm or deny a price increase at F&W booths as well?

After seeing these increases, I can't wait to see what they have in store for APs next month (pure speculation on my part, based on the fact that they will want to raise prices before AP holders can renew and get a crack at SW:GE with their AP). $1000, anyone?
Various sites have posted photos confirming

eddie104

WDW has 74,000 employees. Lets just assume incorrectly that every single one of them made $11.00 per hour. Lets also assume they each were full time workers at 2,000 per year. Now lets give each of them a $4.00 raise per hour. We will ignore, for now:
- the percentage of workers earning more than $11.00 per hour
- the percentage of workers who are part time

The total cost of the raise to Disney in this scenario is $592 million dollars in 2021 when it actually goes into full effect. This is a lot of money.

Lets also understand Disney is a $175 billion dollar company that had its tax rate go effectively fro 33% this year to 22% under the new corporate tax laws. Lets assume this will add roughly 25% annually to the free cash flow for the company (this is the reported number by analysts). Since 2015 Disney has had annual free cash flows of 7.12 billion, 8.36 billion, 8.72 billion, for '15, '16, and '17, respectively. 2018 is on pace to be a shade over 10 billion.

The new tax rate turns into a free gift of roughly $2.5 billion dollars in cash to Disney annually.

Given the gift of a minimum of $2.5 billion additional profit each year Disney did the absolute right thing and raised its lowest employees pay to $15 per hour. This raise, even judging its near-max cost to the company, takes up about 21% of the new $2.5 billion dollars the government gifted them annually. I applaud Disney for making the decision to use a fraction of this money to better their workers' lives. I'm sure most of us do.

But they didn't do that with the money. They gave a raise 3 years into the future (when the total savings from the tax plan will be $7.5 billion conservatively by that time) and then immediately began raising the prices of almost everything on property then pointing to the employee raises as the reasoning. Other people on these boards are doing the same thing. "Of course they are raising everything, they gave huge raises this year to the dear CMs." Its nonsense. The raises haven't even kicked in but the price hikes sure did. The tax savings are already hitting the bottom line and won't stop.

Lets call a spade a spade and just be honest that the company is being very greedy in a time where the business environment has never been better for them. You can continue to wave your pompoms and that is certainly your right but its just so silly. I don't get why you are so pro-everything that happens at WDW but you don't even go to the parks to support them.
You guys have been criticizing Disney this whole thread but as soon someone comes in with a dissenting opinion ya'll try to gang up on them and shout them down. Like I said a lot of posters can be hypocrites when attempting to call someone out.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Let's also recognize that Star Wars land will cost over a billion per park, GotG, Remy, and Mickey's new ride won't be free either. Gondolas, new resort, New hotel towers ?

I'll see your snide remarks and raise you our APs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom