Fort Wilderness trees gone!

bugsbunny

Thanks Yoda! I never knew I could do that!

The tree was easily 50 feet tall before. You can barely see whats left of an old time push mower in the roots of the tree. It would be that black strip just at ground level. For those that don't know, this tree is just before the boat dock at FtW. Its where you normally will see everyone park their golf carts before catching the boat to/from MK.

picture.php

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Thanks Yoda! I never knew I could do that!

The tree was easily 50 feet tall before. You can barely see whats left of an old time push mower in the roots of the tree. It would be that black strip just at ground level. For those that don't know, this tree is just before the boat dock at FtW. Its where you normally will see everyone park their golf carts before catching the boat to/from MK.

picture.php
Super cool. Thanks for posting. I have never seen that. :wave:

Bairstow

I never saw it either.
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2007/09/lawn_mower_tree.html
Looks like it was cut down at least 3 years ago, though from the looks of the trunk I bet pine beetles got it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_beetle#Current_outbreak
lawnmowertree.jpg

In fact, a pine beetle infestation would explain all the cutting at Fort Wilderness.
Disney may have to kill the trees to save the forest.
http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/foltz/eny3541/pbb/SPB_Info.htm

bugsbunny

One of the many reasons I keep going back to WDW. You might just find something you never knew existed or seen in your last 100 trips. :ROFLOL:

FtW has a charm all its own that people just don't get unless you you have stayed there. Nothing like "hanging out" and seeing all kinds of people since its so open and I seem to spend a lot of time in a rocking chair drinking suds at Crockett's Tavern. That beats ANY pool bar on the property, IMHO.

Brian_WDW74

I think it's is great that they have improved the FW pool and are sprucing up the foliage but there is still a lot in this corner of WDW property that is ignored. The Nature Swamp Trail- a wooden boardwalk through the FW swamps (that was well maintained since 1971) has been highly neglected in the past decade. Truly one of the hidden gems of FW, it now rots away and is covered with vines and fallen trees. As many know, River Country and Discovery Island have been completely abandoned (1999 and 2001) and continue to decay in plain sight of every FW guest that is transported to the MK by watercraft. Both of these sites almost act like bookends on the shores of Bay Lake, as constant reminders that not only will TDO needlessly close attractions, but they don't even have enough respect to actually take them down, cover them up, or even maintain a presentable show for the guests. It's just gotten embarassing.

The Nature Trail soon won't be an issue. As I posted in this thread, it's being demolished.

bugsbunny

I can remember about 10 years ago being able to walk that boardwalk trail thing a couple hundred yards. It went REAL far out to the right away from the boat dock, across the canal, and ended at a decrepit gazebo like thing. I do remember walking out to the end and catching a large mouth bass about the size of a door mat on ONE cast with a lure the first time I ever fished in Bay Lake. I remember yelling over to my friends "Even the fish at Disney are magical!! How do they do it??" :ROFLOL:

jt04

I think it's is great that they have improved the FW pool and are sprucing up the foliage but there is still a lot in this corner of WDW property that is ignored. The Nature Swamp Trail- a wooden boardwalk through the FW swamps (that was well maintained since 1971) has been highly neglected in the past decade. Truly one of the hidden gems of FW, it now rots away and is covered with vines and fallen trees. As many know, River Country and Discovery Island have been completely abandoned (1999 and 2001) and continue to decay in plain sight of every FW guest that is transported to the MK by watercraft. Both of these sites almost act like bookends on the shores of Bay Lake, as constant reminders that not only will TDO needlessly close attractions, but they don't even have enough respect to actually take them down, cover them up, or even maintain a presentable show for the guests. It's just gotten embarassing.

Oh yes, one of my biggest gripes at WDW. But I was very encouraged to hear the path between FW and WL has or will be closed. I have a hunch this is good news. Possibly the removal of the remnants of RC and maybe something else is in the works for that land.

I'm not sure what has happened with the boardwalk. If I was guessing I'd think it became a safety/security issue.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I never saw it either.
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2007/09/lawn_mower_tree.html
Looks like it was cut down at least 3 years ago, though from the looks of the trunk I bet pine beetles got it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_beetle#Current_outbreak
lawnmowertree.jpg

In fact, a pine beetle infestation would explain all the cutting at Fort Wilderness.
Disney may have to kill the trees to save the forest.
http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/foltz/eny3541/pbb/SPB_Info.htm
I was kind of thinking the same think after seeing that stump with all the holes in it.

Magicot

The Nature Trail soon won't be an issue. As I posted in this thread, it's being demolished.
I'm talking about a different Nature Trail- not the one next to River Country. I speak of the one that is in the northeastern part of FW, over the bridge and past the small cabin. Many never even knew that it was there. Hence calling it a "hidden gem".

TheBeatles

I'm talking about a different Nature Trail- not the one next to River Country. I speak of the one that is in the northeastern part of FW, over the bridge and past the small cabin. Many never even knew that it was there. Hence calling it a "hidden gem".

what is in that small cabin?

Figment1986

I always really like the cabins there, but after seeing this special on National Geographic Channel, I'm wondering if I really want to let my kids run around FW again. I know this is over-reacting, but still, this show freaked me out.

Thank God these things can't survive here in Pa, where we're getting another 2-3 feet of snow tomorrow (possibly)!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090911-pythons-florida-giant-snakes.html

burmese-python-florida.jpg

Yes, this is in Florida!

for the most part they are ending up in the FLA everglades, not really around WDW but granted anything is possible. :shrug:

cdunbar

I always really like the cabins there, but after seeing this special on National Geographic Channel, I'm wondering if I really want to let my kids run around FW again. I know this is over-reacting, but still, this show freaked me out.

Thank God these things can't survive here in Pa, where we're getting another 2-3 feet of snow tomorrow (possibly)!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090911-pythons-florida-giant-snakes.html

burmese-python-florida.jpg

Yes, this is in Florida!
That's several hours further south in the everglades which doesn't have very much around there making it pretty much a breeding ground for them. I'd be shocked if you saw those in WDW....

cdunbar

If you watch the show, they've projected that those suckers have spread throughout the everglades and are working their way north. They are projecting the entire state of Florida to be infested in around 5 years with current information.... the doomsday is they can probably migrate as far north as the Carolinas and as far west as the Pacific Ocean someday.

I think we'll be hearing from a snake in WDW soon. Besides the migration issue, the bigger issue is the locals who may be setting their "pets" free around there... that's the big cause, going back about 10 years....
Yeah I've lived here all my life and that's always been an issue with snakes, lizards, all those icky things, they may say that the snakes will eventually migrate up here but I personally don't see it happening in great quanities because it's so built up around here. Snakes are always going to be an issue in Florida it's just the tropical and sub-tropical climate that we have....:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Did anyone see where little Timmy got off to?:lookaroun

python_eatsDog_1366913c.jpg

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
That guys looking awfully chipper, considering that all that's left of his partner are those empty pants lying on the ground.

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

Sorry, my brother's a cop, and I just find that remark extremely funny. Does that make me a bad sister?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom