Fort Wilderness Questions

captainkidd

We're thinking about staying in a cabin at FW next year. One reason we never have stayed there is because of the confusing transportation and huge size. So, my questions are about get8ing around the campground and WDW from the campground:

1.They say there is no driving at FW. If you rent a car, where do you park it? Is it within walking distance of your cabin, and can you drive to the parks? I read there is a 15 minute parking limit.

2.In regards to the golf carts - How does it work? If you rent one for your entire stay, is it simply used to get from place to place and then right back? Or, if you're staying at one end of the campground, can you take the golf cart to the marina, park it, go to the Magic Kingdom for the day, then take the cart back when you return?

kstella

If you rent a cabin you can park right outside your cabin. You CAN drive at FW. You cannot drive your car down to the marina area and leave it parked there all day as there is no parking, you have to rely on the internal bus system to get down there. If you choose to rent a golf cart you can drive that down to the marina and leave it parked there all day. I have never felt that a golf cart is worth the cost as the internal bus system is generally easy and convenient.

Upvote 0

buseegal

at your cabin think of a short driveway, you can park your car and also a golf cart. if you rent golf cart it is yours to drive for as long as you rent it for 1,2, 3 or more days. you can park your golf cart,just no cars, and go Magic Kingdom. a lot faster back to cabin than riding internal bus. can also drive golf cart to Hoop Dee Doo, the pool, or buses to other parks. hope this helps you some

Upvote 0

PHSCoach

I have stayed at Fort Wilderness many times both on a campsite and in the cabins. You can park your car at your cabin with no problem. You have your own driveway and there is plenty of room. We would use our car to go to all the parks except the Magic Kingdom. Buses are a pain at the resorts but worse at the Fort Wilderness. You have to take a bus to the main terminal and then board another bus to the park. We always rented a golf cart. Besides just being fun to have it was a real convenence to get around the campground. It will save you a lot of time not having to wait for a bus and then travel around to all the other loo[ps until you get to yours. Especially good when you get home late and you just want to go to bed. Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

momprincess

We stayed in a cabin in Fort Wilderness last Thanksgiving and we really enjoyed it except for the transportation within Fort Wilderness and to the Parks. It just seemed so long getting somewhere because we used a bus to get to the ferry to go to either the Magic Kingdom or to the TTC to get to the other parks. It was just alot of traveling but I have to say that with all the traveling it made me realize that we needed to slow down and just relax and enjoy ourselves. I would stay there again because we liked the full kitchen so if you are driving you can bring food and save money with eating in your room opposed to eating at the parks. We also loved the space of the bathroom, I know for most of you it doesn't mean alot but I have children and they loved it. It was like a family suite cause there is a door between the actual bedroom with the full size bed and bunk beds and the pull down bed in the living room area so parents can have some quiet time together.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
If you're not bringing your own car, I wouldn't recommend staying at FW without renting a golf cart. The internal bus system can be kind of disastrous, and I know of many people with horror stories about it taking them upwards of an hour just to get to the regular FW bus stops because the internal bus was so slow.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Just to echo a couple of things that others have said, you can take your care to your cabin, you can drive it to and from the parks if you wish, there is no automobile parking at the marina area or the meadows trading post areas (for longer than 15 minutes). We have stayed there twice with our travel trailer & truck but we rented a golf cart to get in and around the campground. Not so much for the time factor but because we like riding around in the cart. We prefer the "quite" pool over by the cabins and it was just easier to get there with our cart than by the bus.
Also with the cabins you will have a deck and a outdoor grill to use. There are comfort stations near the cabins if you need more than one bathroom, and there are laundry facilities at the comfort stations. To get a good idea of the layout of things I would check the allears.net site under accommodations and then for Fort Wilderness, they even have a map of the campground. Enjoy your stay

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom