Fort Wilderness DVC, TTC relocation, Potential New Resort, New Water Pageant

GrumpyFan

The reason for not extending the monorail beyond the Epcot/MK loops is the huge financial outlay to do so and part of the reason it has never been done. Monorail operation doesn't necessarily put any more control over operating costs either...

If the 'someone on the inside' is a bus driver...well...

Regardless of where this "rumor" came from, I really think the Monorail concept is a 1960's era way of thinking about transportation. The concept never really gained mass acceptance for many reasons, the biggest of which were due to cost and lack of flexibility. That's not to say that it's not still cool, but I think there have been many other transportation technologies developed in the past 50 years that are much more cost effective and flexible.

It's a shame really, that when they built Epcot (E.P.C.O.T.) they didn't have a more forward thinking mindset and plan for the next 25-50 years by building a central parking facility or hub serving the entire resort (a real TTC) with multiple transportation methods to/from the entire resort. Just think of how much land is wasted on parking lots and roads in/around the property, that could've been used in a more efficient and conservative manner.

Imagineerwannabe

Regardless of where this "rumor" came from, I really think the Monorail concept is a 1960's era way of thinking about transportation. The concept never really gained mass acceptance for many reasons, the biggest of which were due to cost and lack of flexibility. That's not to say that it's not still cool, but I think there have been many other transportation technologies developed in the past 50 years that are much more cost effective and flexible.

It's a shame really, that when they built Epcot (E.P.C.O.T.) they didn't have a more forward thinking mindset and plan for the next 25-50 years by building a central parking facility or hub serving the entire resort (a real TTC) with multiple transportation methods to/from the entire resort. Just think of how much land is wasted on parking lots and roads in/around the property, that could've been used in a more efficient and conservative manner.

I agree with you, the monorail technology as cool as it is, has never really risen to be the transport tech of the future at a operational cost that is acceptable. but it is a shame that the dependency on the bus system has taken over at WDW but it would be a big task to incorporate something more modern into the area that would could ever replicate the simplicity and flexibility of the bus transport.

GrumpyFan

I agree with you, the monorail technology as cool as it is, has never really risen to be the transport tech of the future at a operational cost that is acceptable. but it is a shame that the dependency on the bus system has taken over at WDW but it would be a big task to incorporate something more modern into the area that would could ever replicate the simplicity and flexibility of the bus transport.

The kicker if you will, is that Disney's plans for the resort/complex (Progress City) had at its very core an advanced and multi-modal transport system. Sad that the guys left to build it all didn't follow thru with that particular aspect.

Imagineerwannabe

Another new year, another bunch of stuff thrown at the wall to see what sticks. Been here, have done this every year.

Did wonder if that's the case...throw enough of the brown stuff...eventually some sticks...
Guess we would never hear the last of it if this pie in the sky stuff ever happened....(bar FW dvc which had already been leaked years ago so I guess is stil a possibility)

TeriofTerror

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need... roads." ;)

TeriofTerror

I have a question....I have never listened to Jim Hill, but all I ever hear is people who do AND think the stuff he says is crazy. Why do you all listen to him then if you think he is just making stuff up as he goes? There are plenty of bus drivers, bartenders, forum posters that you could get info from, but over and over again I see post about another thing Jim Hill said. I am just trying to understand why so many people seem to listen to him and quote him on message boards as compared to anybody else that you all don't believe has any clue. (again - I have never listened to him, and haven't been following these boards long enough to know if he is a good source or not...I just notice that every poster about Jim Hill also seems to say that they think he is off the wall with his predictions).
I can't speak for anyone else, but I very much enjoy his stories about the history of TWDC. Naked, drunk little people at the Pinocchio premiere, crazy ex-boyfriends taking security guards hostage at Epcot, and the highs and lows of TWDC's relationship with Jim Henson are just a few of the things I learned from Mr. Hill, and I found them quite informative and/or entertaining.

nemobruce

[QUOTE="GrumpyFan, It's a shame really, that when they built Epcot (E.P.C.O.T.) they didn't have a more forward thinking mindset and plan for the next 25-50 years by building a central parking facility or hub serving the entire resort (a real TTC) with multiple transportation methods to/from the entire resort. Just think of how much land is wasted on parking lots and roads in/around the property, that could've been used in a more efficient and conservative manner.[/QUOTE]

I think the concept of a central parking hub for off site guests is a great idea, been telling friends this for years. The roadways and current parking in and the resort can not handle the traffic. In short my idea in to build a large parking area for off site guests near the Sport Complex, you could then run a light rail system from there to the 4 parks. Using the existing roadway for a directional reference you could use World Drive to drop off at the Stuidos, Epcot, and Magic Kingdom(separate trains) Osceola PKY for Animal Kingdom and for the water parks you could use the buses modifying the exsiting roadways to not disrupt the light rail system. Disney Springs you already have the parking gaurages and an exit from I4 going in and out that should serve just fine as long as there is no park access from there. Resort guests would be allowed to continue to park at the resorts but not drive to anyother area expect Disney Srpings. All resorts on the east side of world drive would be accessed from the north and east side(World Drive or Epcot Center Drive) as to not interrupt or cross the rail system. Guest staying at the resorts on the west side of property would use north and west (World Drive or Westen Way). Resort guest would use the bus system as it is now to access the resort, parks and shopping with the modification of the existing roadway to limit interrupting the rail system(I.e. roads going under the rail at world drive for east/west travel). This should speed up the bus travel times with only Disney vehicles accessing the roadways. Of course not being an engineer and not knowing the coast of building the new infrastructure and modifying the exciting, train capacity, train reliability, and attendance the ROI may not be there or even worth considering. But fun to look at nevertheless.

GrumpyFan

I think the concept of a central parking hub for off site guests is a great idea, been telling friends this for years. The roadways and current parking in and the resort can not handle the traffic. In short my idea in to build a large parking area for off site guests near the Sport Complex, you could then run a light rail system from there to the 4 parks. Using the existing roadway for a directional reference you could use World Drive to drop off at the Stuidos, Epcot, and Magic Kingdom(separate trains) Osceola PKY for Animal Kingdom and for the water parks you could use the buses modifying the exsiting roadways to not disrupt the light rail system. Disney Springs you already have the parking gaurages and an exit from I4 going in and out that should serve just fine as long as there is no park access from there. Resort guests would be allowed to continue to park at the resorts but not drive to anyother area expect Disney Srpings. All resorts on the east side of world drive would be accessed from the north and east side(World Drive or Epcot Center Drive) as to not interrupt or cross the rail system. Guest staying at the resorts on the west side of property would use north and west (World Drive or Westen Way). Resort guest would use the bus system as it is now to access the resort, parks and shopping with the modification of the existing roadway to limit interrupting the rail system(I.e. roads going under the rail at world drive for east/west travel). This should speed up the bus travel times with only Disney vehicles accessing the roadways. Of course not being an engineer and not knowing the coast of building the new infrastructure and modifying the exciting, train capacity, train reliability, and attendance the ROI may not be there or even worth considering. But fun to look at nevertheless.

I was thinking that something on the opposite side of the road from World Drive would have been a good, central location, but really it could have been anywhere. I say "could have" because I think it would be too much of an investment and re-structuring at this point for them to do it, but still it's fun to dream about.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

How about a large-scale PeopleMover system. It seems to work pretty well in tomorrowland. They could have climate controlled cars that would operate on the same, constantly moving system. You would just walk up and hop into the next available car. There may even be some way to enter your destination where the car would know which direction to take a certain switch points.

(Idea Copywriten - 2016 - DisneyJeff)

halltd

How about a large-scale PeopleMover system. It seems to work pretty well in tomorrowland. They could have climate controlled cars that would operate on the same, constantly moving system. You would just walk up and hop into the next available car. There may even be some way to enter your destination where the car would know which direction to take a certain switch points.

(Idea Copywriten - 2016 - DisneyJeff)
It's called Personal Rapid/Mass Transit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_rapid_transit

bjm72385

With the capacity issue MK has it doesn't seem realistic for another Monorail (or MK resort) There are 4 already. And all Deluxe. Seems to me they Disney is going to be expecting an increase in visitors to AK with the opening of Avatarland and at Studios with SW and TS land. Would seem that it would be more likely for any new builds around that area. There is prime land around Coronado, but I think if (when) Disney actively explores a 5th gate, the Coronado land (just south of Buena Vista Drive) is what they'll earmark.
Not sure if there would be enough room for a 5th gate there if we ever get one. Part of this same land you mentioned is where the new DHS firework launch area is being built, as well as a storm water drainage pond as part of the DHS construction. Unless you meant north of Coronado Springs, and north of Western Way. I think if we ever see a 5th gate it will be somewhere off Western Way.

dstrawn9889

Not sure if there would be enough room for a 5th gate there if we ever get one. Part of this same land you mentioned is where the new DHS firework launch area is being built, as well as a storm water drainage pond as part of the DHS construction. Unless you meant north of Coronado Springs, and north of Western Way. I think if we ever see a 5th gate it will be somewhere off Western Way.
there would be room if the centralized the parking situation, there is plenty of space in the MK parking area for another gate. 227 acres (inc the whole of the old speedway)of paved flatness, waiting for a theme...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom