Fort Langhorn Escape Tunnel

BoarderPhreak

There's just less and less reason to go to Tom Sawyer's Island and it's a real shame. Aunt Polly's is a memory, the escape tunnel closed...

I'm so glad to have made a point of going there on my last trip, as it had been a while, and hey - you never know!

jt04

There's just less and less reason to go to Tom Sawyer's Island and it's a real shame. Aunt Polly's is a memory, the escape tunnel closed...

I'm so glad to have made a point of going there on my last trip, as it had been a while, and hey - you never know!

Perhaps this is the phasing out of TSI for something new and viable for the future. Now that would be 'spirited change' I would welcome. It is really wasted real estate and has been for awhile.

UofMGuy423

And don't forget that snack shop in the fort that closed up too...used to serve frozen juice or something. The windows are still there and I opened the door on our last trip and it's now basically a janitor's closet, but the serving counters, etc. are still there.

Figment82

Don't forget the paintbrushes going away as well...

I feel like so many guests don't even know what's on the island, or how to get to it. It's become a background scenery piece to Frontierland - something that's still iconic but lacking the dynamics it once had years ago.

BoarderPhreak

Perhaps this is the phasing out of TSI for something new and viable for the future. Now that would be 'spirited change' I would welcome. It is really wasted real estate and has been for awhile.
Well, yeah - I'd like to see something happen over there... But what, exactly? Right now it totally fits in with its surroundings, but I'm sure attendance is nowhere near what they would want to justify this valuable real estate. I happen to like the fact that it's well off the beaten path and a quiet place to chill away from even the most crowded conditions of the park though! ;)

In this day and age of ADHD fat kids that live on the Internet - TSI probably has less than zero appeal unfortunately. And that's sad for so many reasons.

And don't forget that snack shop in the fort that closed up too...used to serve frozen juice or something. The windows are still there and I opened the door on our last trip and it's now basically a janitor's closet, but the serving counters, etc. are still there.
You know, I totally forgot about that! I did make a point of peeking into all the nooks and crannies when I went in March... Didn't see that, but the usual sleeping guy, chickens, etc. For example:

Don't forget the paintbrushes going away as well...

I feel like so many guests don't even know what's on the island, or how to get to it. It's become a background scenery piece to Frontierland - something that's still iconic but lacking the dynamics it once had years ago.
Whoa, yeah! Totally forgot about those!

Yep, the rafts are... Interesting. Low volume though, and most people probably don't bother. Though during spring break, every one of 'em was PACKED.

tissandtully

Well, yeah - I'd like to see something happen over there... But what, exactly? Right now it totally fits in with its surroundings, but I'm sure attendance is nowhere near what they would want to justify this valuable real estate. I happen to like the fact that it's well off the beaten path and a quiet place to chill away from even the most crowded conditions of the park though! ;)

In this day and age of ADHD fat kids that live on the Internet - TSI probably has less than zero appeal unfortunately. And that's sad for so many reasons.

You know, I totally forgot about that! I did make a point of peeking into all the nooks and crannies when I went in March... Didn't see that, but the usual sleeping guy, chickens, etc. For example:

Whoa, yeah! Totally forgot about those!

Yep, the rafts are... Interesting. Low volume though, and most people probably don't bother. Though during spring break, every one of 'em was PACKED.

Quick question on the rafts, are they on a track, or is the CM actually driving them?

bearboysnc

I was working on TSI at DL back in the 90's. The first thing to go were the guns in the look out towers. Some kid put their finger in the barrel of one and fell... thus breaking their finger. Next to go was the escape tunnel, again, liability issue, because someone fell down the stairs. Then the whole second level of the fort was roped off due to extensive termite damage, and the cost of rebuilding was not in the budget. 6 months later they just boarded up the whole fort. :(

ExtinctJenn

Parkscope blog says it was closed in Jan

I was there in late March/early April and it was open. My kids love that tunnel. I haven't been back since then, though.

We were there the second week of April and it was closed. I thought it was because we were there close to the island shutting down for the day, but it would be a shame if it is permanently closed.
We were there first week of March and it was open. DS7 kept running back into the fort just to "escape" through there. I think we easily ran through it 4 times.

Texas84

I don't remember them, but I'm told that we took canoes over at Disneyland when I was a kid. Looks like they are still there.

RandySavage

Love, and have always loved, everything about TSI... its isolation, its ties to classic literature, its big trees, its rifle towers (surprised they're still surviving), its genuinely challenging-to-navigate terrain and caverns, and, historically, sandwiches/lemonade at Aunt Pollys and, now, the secret escape tunnel.

Damn this Litigation Nation of Illiterate, Politically-Correct Softies we have become.

tissandtully

Love, and have always loved, everything about TSI... its isolation, its ties to classic literature, its big trees, its rifle towers (surprised they're still surviving), its genuinely challenging-to-navigate terrain and caverns, and, historically, sandwiches/lemonade at Aunt Pollys and, now, the secret escape tunnel.

Damn this Litigation Nation of Illiterate, Politically-Correct Softies we have become.

Are the refreshment stands even open anymore? I was there on Monday and there were only the coke machines cleverly disguised as shipping crates.

ExtinctJenn

Everyone is talking like TSI has closed but, unless I'm misunderstanding, it was just the escape tunnel out of the fort right? I don't know that we should assume it's because TSI is going to end up dead in the water. It's entirely possible that something inside needed repair and became dangerous to guests as a result right?

JIMINYCR

Next will be the extremely dangerous barrel bridges. So unsteady under foot, if a guest was to fall into the river the gators might get them. Lets just close the entire island... I STRONGLY AGREE with you....Damn this Litigation Nation of Illiterate, Politically-Correct Softies we have become.

Barrel+Bridge.jpg
3.JPG

tnemgif

I don't remember them, but I'm told that we took canoes over at Disneyland when I was a kid. Looks like they are still there.
They don't go to the island anymore - just circle around. It's a good time and gives a really unique perspective of the river, though.

And super bummer the tunnel closed - this was always a favorite "little" thing to do.

cooleo

A Catholic school is not public, and there is a reason why I'm putting away money every year to send my kid to private school when she hits the middle grades. Google "Atlanta School Fraud" and you'll see why I don't want her anywhere near Public Schools past a certain grade, and that's beyond my own personal experience with them when I moved back to the US and learned that it's more important to be cool and accepted, than it is to actually learn anything (thanks US schools!)...

I placed my son in private school from day one for this very sort of reason. He is now finishing up his Sophomore year in HS & he is currently reading 1984 for his Honors English II class. I don't think he would have ever gotten this quality of an education on the public level. He also just got his scores back from his first ACT Testing & he scored a 28 composite with a 34 on the English portion. He also took the writing portion since he wants to be a sports journalist & his English / Writing composite was a 31. There is a lot to be said for private school if you can afford it. I for one would have done whatever it takes to ensure that he was in provate school but I have been blessed that things have worked out for this to be possible.
FYI - My sister in law & several friends are public school teachers and all of them encouraged me to keep him out of the public system if at all possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom