Forgoing the use of a camera and using smart phones

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
As the title states, anyone have stopped bringing ther cameras to WDW and instead relied on the iPhone/Samsung/Other phone?

I have an OMD EM5, and a small Oly Pen that uses the same lenses, so I can swap between a small body (compared to a DSLR) and a point and shoot sized body. Yet with that said, my iPhone X takes great pictures, sure it lacks a lot of features that the Olys have but its small light and does a decent job.

drizgirl

What might you want a camera to do that your iphone X won't do? It really does come down to that. I do tons of dark ride and low light photography. I like image stabilized lenses. So no matter how great the phone, I bring my DSLR. Some would rather poke their eye out than carry around a DSLR all day. But I imagine that if you stick with mostly daytime photos, you'll probably be happy with just the iphone.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As the title states, anyone have stopped bringing ther cameras to WDW and instead relied on the iPhone/Samsung/Other phone?

I have an OMD EM5, and a small Oly Pen that uses the same lenses, so I can swap between a small body (compared to a DSLR) and a point and shoot sized body. Yet with that said, my iPhone X takes great pictures, sure it lacks a lot of features that the Olys have but its small light and does a decent job.
We did a test a couple of years ago int his very subject
https://www.wdwmagic.com/articles/21sep2016-iphone-7-camera-test-at-disneys-animal-kingdom.htm

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
They both have their place, depends on what you're wanting to capture.
The issue is that camera phones are doing more and more. I can see the advantages of not lugging around a camera in the Florida heat.

I will bring my camera to WDW, but I'm starting to see the value in relying on my phone more

sporadic

I'm not an iPhone user so not sure how capable they are, but I agree they're great for snapshots and have pretty much completely replaced anything less than a DSLR or mirrorless kit. I'll continue to bring my Fuji mirrorless kit with me on trips to the parks for the quality and creative options it gives me, but I keep it light with only a couple of lenses and small flash in a sling pack. Usually, it's my 18-55, 10-24 and 35/1.4. I may swap out the 10-24 with my Rokinon 12/2 and 8/2.8 fisheye this next trip. I use my phone as well, but usually just for stuff that's a snapshot or I want to share via social media. I wait to process all the RAWs until I get home.

What if you want to go wide and drag the shutter?

Tea time
by smerrick, on Flickr

Or open up the aperture to kill the background

Kitty Cat Princess
by smerrick, on Flickr

Sometimes you just need all the light you can get

DSCF2214
by smerrick, on Flickr

DSCF2005
by smerrick, on Flickr

fractal

I'll always bring my "real" camera, but d*mn the performance of the camera in my new Google Pixel 2 is pretty impressive!

fractal

Indeed, my iPhone X produces some great photos, and from what I've read, the Pizel 2 is even better.

I just spent the weekend at Big 10 Swimming Championships and took a lot of my photography gear for all the action shots. What I found the Pixel 2 useful for was the casual shots of my son and his teammates. Even in difficult lighting the images were very good. Also impressed with the "portrait" feature.

I can see using it more along those lines on a Disney trip. These top of the line smart phone cameras are just as good if not better than a DSLR or mirrorless with a kit lens. The Pixel 2 lens has an f/1.8 aperture.

fractal

Google Pixel2

IMG_20180223_203654-X3.jpg

Sony A7R2

_DSC8347-X3.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom