For Horizons Nerds in Particular

michmousefan

Original Poster
I know it's a "former" attraction, but since this is a "news" forum... just wanted to call attention to the upcoming video release of "Horizons: Revisited" by RetroWDW. Looks like a fun time for all, even the esteemed @marni1971 was a contributor! There's some impressive upscaling and conversion of older video technology here (could have been an exhibit on its own in the old days, I suppose).

Teaser:

More info here:

BoarderPhreak

New Horizons would be an excellent replacement for Carousel of Progress...
images.jpg

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I never got to ride Horizons, so I'm looking forward to watching this.

If I was an Imagineer with all of the budget, I would design a ride experience that updated the first three scenes of Carousel of Progress to larger time jumps, getting us closer to the present. In the final scene, I would break the theater apart, Universe of Energy-style, into trackless vehicles traveling through a contemporary Horizons.

It would be a massive people eater, and a good technology sponsor could fill the post-show with smart home products featured in the ride and conveniently available for sale. Throw in a Disney Plus kiosk for good measure. The generation that grew up with Horizons are likely the ones with disposable income looking to build "future" houses. The nostalgic glow maybe opens their wallets along with their hearts. Lots of money to be made there.

It may seem impractical, but not so impractical as it looks at first blush.

Goofyernmost

If I was an Imagineer with all of the budget, I would design a ride experience that updated the first three scenes of Carousel of Progress to larger time jumps, getting us closer to the present. In the final scene, I would break the theater apart, Universe of Energy-style, into trackless vehicles traveling through a contemporary Horizons.

It may seem impractical, but not so impractical as it looks at first blush.
Why doesn't anyone recognize the uniqueness of the theater itself. Have anyone seen a theater the did that before. It is a two part entertainment the show and the ride. What a theatrical innovation. I know it is just a merry go round on steroids, but really lets not sell it short.

wdwms

Hi All! we were going to announce this here on the forums this week, but it looks like you guys beat us to it! FYI the official release is on March 19 at 8:30pm live on YouTube.

You can vote for the ending and get the link to youtube here: https://www.retrowdw.com/imageworks/horizons-revisited-release-day-announcement-vote-for-the-ending/

Also our Behind the Edit article will give you an idea what went into it: https://www.retrowdw.com/imageworks/horizons-revisited-behind-the-edit/

Let us know any questions you have!
See you next week!

-Todd

danheaton

This video was incredible! I'm definitely in the camp of Horizons being amazing (it's my favorite all-time attraction), so this was right up my alley. I can't get enough of seeing it looking so sharp.

LemonGoofball

I think Horizons is a great ride since if it was kept up properly it could still be relevant today. I mean they focus on the future in the ride and most of the things they explore hasn't been done yet, so it could still be exciting to park goers.

macefamily

I never rode Horizons and I've been going to Disney since 1997. The video leads me to believe that it was
just like Spaceship Earth. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom