For all of those considering going in Oct.

PeterPan1985

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

Just got back from WDW after a very stressful, very hot week at the parks. I have a lot to say on the subject, but I'll try not to ramble.

The parks were very, very crowded most of the week. It was hard to walk (and push mom in the wheelchair). The attractions had short wait times (under 30 mins.) but walking around was a nightmare. People wouldn't move out of the way to the point that I actually hit someone with the chair. I couldn't stop it in time, and I said excuse me 5 times, so it happened.

The biggest problem we experienced was the enormous group of extremely rude people, especially when it came to the chair. It's not my mom's choice to have to use the chair, so when I hear the complaining and see the dirty looks, it never ceases to amaze me.

We stayed at Pop, and the bus lines were double the length of every other resort. It was extremely frustrating.

MNSSHP was ridiculously packed. You couldn't really get to the special events (E.G. the Villian show, etc.) and character greeting was nearly impossible. My group waited 45 minutes for the Dwarves (all of them!) but as far as other rare characters, if they were out, it was difficult to find them.

I was advised that Halloween was less hectic then the Christmas season, but I was there last year around Christmas, and didn't see anything like this. The heat, the crowds, and the people, tried to dampen our fun, but I tried to remain optimisitc!

octoberbarry

For what it's worth, we had the same experience a couple of years ago. It was explained to me that, due to year-round schooling in many states, October is now a big vacation month for many families going to WDW, as year-round schools take a week or two off in October. It's a new 'definitely avoid' month for me...

HRT+3

We went last year and did not experiance this at all. The MNSSHP was not crowded, and we got to do all of the meets EXCEPT the pictures where Cindy's carriage is (sorry, don't remember the name of that spot).

PeoplemoverTTA

The MNSSHP was not crowded, and we got to do all of the meets EXCEPT the pictures where Cindy's carriage is (sorry, don't remember the name of that spot).

I'm not sure either...I skipped that as well. The lines were huge both days. That was all I missed, though.

To the OP, I'm sorry that your trip didn't meet your expectations. I just got back myself on 10/13, and I too was surprised at the heat and crowds. Sometimes vacations can be stressful, and I hope you were still able to have a great time :).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We were there from 10/14 to 10/22. It was a bit hot, definitely humid, but we didn't encounter the crowds that you did. Yes, it did seem crowded, but not to the point where we couldn't push our strollers. Lines were typically around 20-30 minutes, except for 10/20, when Epcot was really busy - 50 minutes for M:S, 90 for Soarin' and TT. Our MNSSHP experience was far different, if only because we didn't bother seeing the Villains or other character appearances because we would rather ride rides and get candy. ;) October can definitely be a good time to go, but as with most other times of the year, it can vary.

1DisneyDad

We just returned (Oct 12-19). Had a blast! A lot of people. We've been in Jan 4 times and Oct twice. Jan is much better for crowds but Oct is shorts all the time and MNSSHP. We stayed at POR for the first time. One night we had major back-up getting on bus after Magic Kingdon closed.

DVC Dave

We're going in the first week of October next year. I hope it's not bad. It will be our first October visit.

We went last year during October and will go again next year. Crowds were big but not unmanagable. MNSSHP was great!

You will have a great time.

unkadog

Hey everyone,

Just got back from WDW after a very stressful, very hot week at the parks. I have a lot to say on the subject, but I'll try not to ramble.

The parks were very, very crowded most of the week. It was hard to walk (and push mom in the wheelchair). The attractions had short wait times (under 30 mins.) but walking around was a nightmare. People wouldn't move out of the way to the point that I actually hit someone with the chair. I couldn't stop it in time, and I said excuse me 5 times, so it happened.

The biggest problem we experienced was the enormous group of extremely rude people, especially when it came to the chair. It's not my mom's choice to have to use the chair, so when I hear the complaining and see the dirty looks, it never ceases to amaze me.

We stayed at Pop, and the bus lines were double the length of every other resort. It was extremely frustrating.

MNSSHP was ridiculously packed. You couldn't really get to the special events (E.G. the Villian show, etc.) and character greeting was nearly impossible. My group waited 45 minutes for the Dwarves (all of them!) but as far as other rare characters, if they were out, it was difficult to find them.

I was advised that Halloween was less hectic then the Christmas season, but I was there last year around Christmas, and didn't see anything like this. The heat, the crowds, and the people, tried to dampen our fun, but I tried to remain optimisitc!

That's weird that it was so crowded but everything was still a walk on. Hope you had fun anyway!:wave:

fizzle75

We just got back a few weeks ago(September 27th-October 5th) and I must say that I totally understand where the OP is coming from. I had incredibly high expectations for Halloween at The World and was extremely let down. It wasn't Disney's fault by any stretch of the imagination, we still had a good time because we were in our most favorite place in the entire world but factors outside of Disney's control severely put a damper on our enjoyment. We were expecting pretty small crowds compared to the other times of year that we go(April & December) but that wasn't the case at all, the parks seemed more crowded than they usually are in April and even more crowded than they were last December. We always try to swing by Saratoga Springs and spend some time with our DVC rep, Paul Kuhn(shameless plug but he truly is amazing), and he told us that the amount of international guests was at a record high and I believe it, there were times that I thought we were in Disneyland Paris!:lol:

The two other factors that really affected our ability to have an amazing time were the intense heat and the amount of rainfall. We have been three times in April and once in December and this trip was hands down the hottest we have ever experienced and the humidity was just unbearable at times. It seemed to rain every day...alot, and on our last night we went to MNSSHP(which I was incredibly excited about and had been eagerly anticipating for quite some time)and it rained almost the whole night. They cancelled the first parade, postponed Hallowishes and didn't do the Villains Mix and Mingle at all and on top of that the rain kept the Photopass folks at bay so we didn't get any good pictures. The park was insanely crowded that night as well and it seemed even more crowded than I remember MVMCP being. Our last night was horrible but thankfully Hallowishes and the (delayed) Boo To You parade made up for it and we ultimately had a good time. I must say I really enjoyed Hallowishes and I love the music, we have been listening to the CD pretty much nonstop since we got home, but it just doesn't pack the emotional wallup that Wishes does, but then again, I guess it's not supposed to. Mickey's Boo To You Parade is hands down the best parade at WDW in my opinion although I was extremely disappointed that the Headless Horseman was unable to make his ride.

Ultimately, we will probably never go during October again, at least not for a week long vacation. We gave up a nine day vacation during Christmas time(our absolute favorite time at WDW)to experience Halloween at The World and we regret it immensely. From now on we'll just stick to April and DEcember and maybe try to do a long weekend in October to do MNSSHP again. Is October traditionally as rainy, humid and hot as it was when we were down there or did we just catch it at a bad time?

PeterPan1985

Original Poster
I don't know...as much as I loved Boo to You, the rarer characters, and the candy, I'm not sure if I'd do MNSSHP again.

I went on a Tuesday, and the reason I believe it was crowded was because the Sunday party was very wet. Very, very wet. People no doubt bought a second set of tickets (I wish we ALL had that kind of money!) I was originally advised that Tuesdays are the best days to go by my AAA travel agent, but who knows.

A LOT of people didn't dress up (I was a little disappointed because I expected to at least get to watch the costumes). I did see some really good ones...The Scooby Doo gang, Carmen Sandiego, a tasteful Jessica Rabbit, etc...but I think the heat kept people from dressing up. I saw a guy in a Jester costume look like he was going to pass out from the heat.

Another two things I wanted to mention to you guys...we had TROUBLE finding photopass people. There were NONE with the characters, and only one on mainstreet at peak time. Why push that all photopass photos from MNSSHP at 40 percent off if we can't find photographers!

ALSO...they RAN OUT OF MNSSHP PINS. We made the decision to get ours early, but people around us at Boo to You were ANGRY. I suggest to everyone---get your pins and other merch. early.

PeterPan1985

Original Poster
We just got back a few weeks ago(September 27th-October 5th) and I must say that I totally understand where the OP is coming from. I had incredibly high expectations for Halloween at The World and was extremely let down. It wasn't Disney's fault by any stretch of the imagination, we still had a good time because we were in our most favorite place in the entire world but factors outside of Disney's control severely put a damper on our enjoyment. We were expecting pretty small crowds compared to the other times of year that we go(April & December) but that wasn't the case at all, the parks seemed more crowded than they usually are in April and even more crowded than they were last December. We always try to swing by Saratoga Springs and spend some time with our DVC rep, Paul Kuhn(shameless plug but he truly is amazing), and he told us that the amount of international guests was at a record high and I believe it, there were times that I thought we were in Disneyland Paris!:lol:

The two other factors that really affected our ability to have an amazing time were the intense heat and the amount of rainfall. We have been three times in April and once in December and this trip was hands down the hottest we have ever experienced and the humidity was just unbearable at times. It seemed to rain every day...alot, and on our last night we went to MNSSHP(which I was incredibly excited about and had been eagerly anticipating for quite some time)and it rained almost the whole night. They cancelled the first parade, postponed Hallowishes and didn't do the Villains Mix and Mingle at all and on top of that the rain kept the Photopass folks at bay so we didn't get any good pictures. The park was insanely crowded that night as well and it seemed even more crowded than I remember MVMCP being. Our last night was horrible but thankfully Hallowishes and the (delayed) Boo To You parade made up for it and we ultimately had a good time. I must say I really enjoyed Hallowishes and I love the music, we have been listening to the CD pretty much nonstop since we got home, but it just doesn't pack the emotional wallup that Wishes does, but then again, I guess it's not supposed to. Mickey's Boo To You Parade is hands down the best parade at WDW in my opinion although I was extremely disappointed that the Headless Horseman was unable to make his ride.

Ultimately, we will probably never go during October again, at least not for a week long vacation. We gave up a nine day vacation during Christmas time(our absolute favorite time at WDW)to experience Halloween at The World and we regret it immensely. From now on we'll just stick to April and DEcember and maybe try to do a long weekend in October to do MNSSHP again. Is October traditionally as rainy, humid and hot as it was when we were down there or did we just catch it at a bad time?

The rain and the heat sucked for us, too. I was told by some locals that the heat and rain for mid-October were both above normal. We made plans to go down when we thought it was supposed to be dry and cool...but Florida's a wacky state, and the weather there is always unpredictible.

fngoofy

Florida's a wacky state, and the weather there is always unpredictible.

Dec, Jan and Feb are the only "cool" months of the year. Even then, we were down over new yrs and the heat was 15° above normal all but one day.

So I guess what I'm saying is Fl is hot and humid...who knew? ;)

Jan 71°/49° Feb 73°/50° Mar 78°/55° Apr 83°/60°

May 88°/66 Jun 90°/72° July 91°/73° Aug 91°/73°

Sept 90°/72° Oct 85°/66° Nov 78°/57° Dec 73°/51°

EPCOT.nut

I've been several times this month and had no problems at all. I feel like it is getting so much cooler out - but then I live here soooo -

There were a lot of British-accent people in the parks over the last few weeks. Don't know any other reason the parks would be so crowded. Personally I don't think it has been crowded at all! :shrug:

islesgirl

I don't know about the Florida weather because I wasn't down there this October but I live in NY and it was extremely warm here and it is just finally starting to cool down. So the extreme heat and humidity probably aren't as bad most years. Global warming, gotta love it! lol

MattyFresh

I was down from Oct 3rd-9th, and I really don't have any complaints. Yeah it was a little hot, and yeah it rained. But its central Florida, you should expect that anytime you go. I didn't find the crowds all that bad, now our last day was a little more crowded then the rest, but found out that it was some holiday that most people aren't out, but Florida schools were. But other then that, I didn't have a problem and would go again at around that time in a heartbeat. I am used to the June, July, August vacation and this time was awesome, longest line we stood in was maybe 30 mins, compare that to the 1.5 hrs plus in the summer.

EPCOT.nut

I was down from Oct 3rd-9th, and I really don't have any complaints. Yeah it was a little hot, and yeah it rained. But its central Florida, you should expect that anytime you go. I didn't find the crowds all that bad, now our last day was a little more crowded then the rest, but found out that it was some holiday that most people aren't out, but Florida schools were. But other then that, I didn't have a problem and would go again at around that time in a heartbeat. I am used to the June, July, August vacation and this time was awesome, longest line we stood in was maybe 30 mins, compare that to the 1.5 hrs plus in the summer.

Yep the summer months are so bad here! :eek: The older I get the worse it is! And it is not like I am going to go in a bathing suit but that would probably be best in the summer. :lol: I saw a lot of that at IOA this year but no way am I doing that! :lol:

I can't wait until December through March. My favorite Disney park weather! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom