For all of those considering going in Oct.

PeterPan1985

Original Poster
I've been several times this month and had no problems at all. I feel like it is getting so much cooler out - but then I live here soooo -

There were a lot of British-accent people in the parks over the last few weeks. Don't know any other reason the parks would be so crowded. Personally I don't think it has been crowded at all! :shrug:

I noticed the British crowds too. Anyone know if there's a major holiday or something? The crowds during the day were fine. At night, esp. EMH, were TERRIBLE...the crowds were worse than during the day.

There's usually school holidays in October in the UK so thats why there would be alot of british people. Me and my fiance were out 28/9 till 6/10 and no complaints whatsoever. Crowds were fine and so were waiting times.
I'm used to going in the summer and was amazed when I could walk on things like Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. To me it makes such a better experience. Not least because it was my fiance's first time as the world, so was good we could take a leisurely pace to go round the park.
So good in fact, we're going back same time next year, and missing the summer time altogether.

phenom1307

Hey everyone,

Just got back from WDW after a very stressful, very hot week at the parks. I have a lot to say on the subject, but I'll try not to ramble.

The parks were very, very crowded most of the week. It was hard to walk (and push mom in the wheelchair). The attractions had short wait times (under 30 mins.) but walking around was a nightmare. People wouldn't move out of the way to the point that I actually hit someone with the chair. I couldn't stop it in time, and I said excuse me 5 times, so it happened.

The biggest problem we experienced was the enormous group of extremely rude people, especially when it came to the chair. It's not my mom's choice to have to use the chair, so when I hear the complaining and see the dirty looks, it never ceases to amaze me.

We stayed at Pop, and the bus lines were double the length of every other resort. It was extremely frustrating.

MNSSHP was ridiculously packed. You couldn't really get to the special events (E.G. the Villian show, etc.) and character greeting was nearly impossible. My group waited 45 minutes for the Dwarves (all of them!) but as far as other rare characters, if they were out, it was difficult to find them.

I was advised that Halloween was less hectic then the Christmas season, but I was there last year around Christmas, and didn't see anything like this. The heat, the crowds, and the people, tried to dampen our fun, but I tried to remain optimisitc!

you get those looks because some people that are in wheelchairs think they can do what ever the heck they want to do. (not saying thats how you are, i've just noticed that from some people over the years). somebody literally ran straight into my dads legs while she was in an ECV(cant remember if thats it or it). she never said excuse me or sorry and just kept on going...so my dad caught up to her and let her have it

Mystic

I too just recently got back from a trip to the World (Oct 13 - 18) and my first and probably only visit to MNSSHP. My mom and I usually visit just before Christmas and do the CP and MVMCP. This trip was for my best friend's birthday. While I found the decorations cute and all I just found MNSSHP party not quite to my liking. I'm more of a Christmas person I guess. There wasn't enough going on at the Halloween party to keep my interest and the ability to walk on the rides does not counter the cost of the ticket in my opinion since that's not why I bought the ticket in the first place.

There were a few things that made the party worthwhile. We had a lady come up to us at the Liberty Tree and ask us if her daughter could have her picture taken with us and have our autographs. We tried to politely get out of it but she was insistant because she said when her daughter looked at us what she saw was Cinderella and Belle so of course we agreed. We were also lucky enough to find Cinderella and Prince Charming in the Judge's Tent in Mickey's Toon Town Fair so I was able to get a picture taken in my Cinderella costume with Prince Charming.

As for the heat, the coolest day we had was the day we were at Animal Kingdom thankfully. Every other day we were there we were roasting when we were outside and freezing when we were inside having our meals.

I didn't find the crowds unmanageable. We didn't have too many long waits for any rides or attractions. If the waits were long we usually would just grab a fastpass if fastpasses were offered or hit the single rider line.

October is definitely not a month that I will return to the World in. Much too hot for my taste. I much prefer the cooler weather in December. I'm already booked for my return trip to the Wilderness Lodge for December 2008.

Just wanted to point out Britain is not part of Europe (alot of Europe hates the British :) ) and not only that I'm scottish rather than British but i've been going since 1990 to Orlando, and every time it's been the summer. But this time in October was such a refreshing change.

EPCOT.nut

Just wanted to point out Britain is not part of Europe (alot of Europe hates the British :) ) and not only that I'm scottish rather than British but i've been going since 1990 to Orlando, and every time it's been the summer. But this time in October was such a refreshing change.

It is much easier for us Americans if we can break up the world like this:
USA/Canada
Eastern places (China and everyone that looks Chinese)
Mexico (and everyone that speaks spanish)
Europe (Everything else)

:lol:

:eek:

It is much easier for us Americans if we can break up the world like this:
USA/Canada
Eastern places (China and everyone that looks Chinese)
Mexico (and everyone that speaks spanish)
Europe (Everything else)

:lol:

:eek:

Hey no biggy. Just wanted to point it out as some people take it badly, but its all good :)

sknydave

Ok... What continent would you say the UK is a part of, then?

phenom1307

yeah...i'm pretty sure it doesnt matter if alot of Europe hates the British they're still part of Europe.

Ok... What continent would you say the UK is a part of, then?

The United Kontinent :)

Nah i know it's considered Europe, I was just saying. Its like saying a Scottish person is English. I think it's the way I worded it. I really didn't mean any offense. What I mean is alot of people in the UK don't consider themselves European. But really we're getting off the topic of trips in October so no biggy.

PeterPan1985

Original Poster
Yep the summer months are so bad here! :eek: The older I get the worse it is! And it is not like I am going to go in a bathing suit but that would probably be best in the summer. :lol: I saw a lot of that at IOA this year but no way am I doing that! :lol:

I can't wait until December through March. My favorite Disney park weather! :sohappy:

March is my absolute favorite time at WDW!

Greenlawler

I think many people are overlooking the fact that many schools are taking a full two weeks for Fall Break in October. I know many schools Kentucky, Tennessee and I think Wisconsin(?) take the first two weeks of October. Two years ago we saw at least 20 people from our little hometown in Kentucky, not counting the 50 others we heard were there we did not see,and thats just our little town. If every small town on Fall break sends 50 people, that adds up fast as there are thousands of little towns that have fall break at that time.
Everytime I mention that this is a reason I think the parks are more crowded n October it is dissmissed as not a big deal. However this year we moved to Tennessee and knew just as many people going to the World during fall break.
This is not counting the U.K. contengiant. And the fact that that the free dinning deal is still available for people booking at the end of September taking their trips into the first week of October (many of the U.K. vacationers stay for two weeks).
We booked for next September hoping to miss the Fall Break crowd.

phenom1307

I think many people are overlooking the fact that many schools are taking a full two weeks for Fall Break in October. I know many schools Kentucky, Tennessee and I think Wisconsin(?) take the first two weeks of October. Two years ago we saw at least 20 people from our little hometown in Kentucky, not counting the 50 others we heard were there we did not see,and thats just our little town. If every small town on Fall break sends 50 people, that adds up fast as there are thousands of little towns that have fall break at that time.
Everytime I mention that this is a reason I think the parks are more crowded n October it is dissmissed as not a big deal. However this year we moved to Tennessee and knew just as many people going to the World during fall break.
This is not counting the U.K. contengiant. And the fact that that the free dinning deal is still available for people booking at the end of September taking their trips into the first week of October (many of the U.K. vacationers stay for two weeks).
We booked for next September hoping to miss the Fall Break crowd.

wait wait wait....2 weeks for fall break!?!?!? in indiana we got all of 2 DAYS for fall break...lame

Wvutim77

I don't know...as much as I loved Boo to You, the rarer characters, and the candy, I'm not sure if I'd do MNSSHP again.

I went on a Tuesday, and the reason I believe it was crowded was because the Sunday party was very wet. Very, very wet. People no doubt bought a second set of tickets (I wish we ALL had that kind of money!) I was originally advised that Tuesdays are the best days to go by my AAA travel agent, but who knows.

A LOT of people didn't dress up (I was a little disappointed because I expected to at least get to watch the costumes). I did see some really good ones...The Scooby Doo gang, Carmen Sandiego, a tasteful Jessica Rabbit, etc...but I think the heat kept people from dressing up. I saw a guy in a Jester costume look like he was going to pass out from the heat.

Another two things I wanted to mention to you guys...we had TROUBLE finding photopass people. There were NONE with the characters, and only one on mainstreet at peak time. Why push that all photopass photos from MNSSHP at 40 percent off if we can't find photographers!

ALSO...they RAN OUT OF MNSSHP PINS. We made the decision to get ours early, but people around us at Boo to You were ANGRY. I suggest to everyone---get your pins and other merch. early.

I was there on teusday with my wife and 2 daughters. I was gy and wife was daphne from scooby doo. Did you see us? My one daughter was dressed as Alice.

WickedQueen22

I am deep into planning a HUGE trip with around 12 people for Oct 14-22 of 2009. Think we will be safe from the fall break crowds?

I love fall and MNSSHP was a blast the last time we went. Although we use it for ride time and catch the later parade.

RiversideBunny

October still seems like an interesting time to go, particularly if one has not done MNSSHP.
If you break October into three parts: Beginning, Middle, and End
then would it be correct to say that chances for the least crowds and the best weather combination would be the Middle?

We are considering going in October next year.
Tks.
:)

coasterphil

This past weekend was an absolute nightmare. My family was in town to visit and I told them not to worry about crowds because they hadn't been that bad this month. I was completely wrong. Friday at EPCOT Soarin' was at 100 minutes and TT was 120 in the afternoon. Today at MGM, RnRc was up to 90 minutes by 11:30. I couldn't believe how many people were on property, but the reasons have already been mentioned. Several schools have fall breaks at this time, year round schools give a few weeks off at this time, and UK guests are still coming in droves. Add all that to the absolutely disgusting heat and humidity and it doesn't seem like this was a great time to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom