For a land most originally said they weren't interested in ................

mergatroid

Original Poster
It certainly seems to have gained a lot of attention.

"I'm not interested in the movie so it shouldn't get a land"
"The film was rubbish, who'll want to see this"
"Nobody I know liked the film, crazy idea"
"Disney will mess it up, they always do"
"Yawn"
"Desperate to fight Universal and Potter, no chance of competing"

Were the type of things said by many when this land was announced on here (fair enough, it's all about opinions). Now there appears to be so much hope and anticipation for it which is strange after the initial claim the film wasn't good enough to interest people to visit a theme park.

So has anyone changed their mind since it was announced, or have the naysayers just stopped posting and the 'pixie dusters' taken over the sub forum. Go on, be honest?

sonoma15

"Yawn"

Were the type of things said by many when this land was announced on here (fair enough, it's all about opinions). Now there appears to be so much hope and anticipation for it which is strange after the initial claim the film wasn't good enough to interest people to visit a theme park.

So has anyone changed their mind since it was announced, or have the naysayers just stopped posting and the 'pixie dusters' taken over the sub forum. Go on, be honest?
Well we aren't getting anything else right now so I guess this is the only thing to be excited about

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes

"Yawn"

I'm pretty sure most people were not excited for the land originally because they disliked the movie, like you said, but I think people began to think of this like it was Animal Kingdom's Splash Mountain when concept art and the model were released. Like Splash Mountain, this will be based on a movie that most dislike or have never seen, but will probabaly be loved for years to come due to it being a great environment with great attractions. I think the most immense hype for the land came when most of the construction started to be nearly completed and the night lighting started testing. I can't speak for everyone but I think that is how most people feel about this land (including myself).

KrazyKat

Looking very much forward to it. Although I haven't seen the movie since it came out in 2009, ANYTHING new at WDW is always a plus in my opinion especially at AK. I'm always of the mindset " let's see what WDI will do before we bash it".

PorterRedkey

This ^^
I don't think the enthusiasm is all because it's Avatar. The enthusiasm is because it's new and imminently opening. I remember people being positively in a tizzy over Skipper's Canteen opening. It wasn't because it was "Skipper's Canteen". It was because it was new.
I am not excited for TSL, even though it will be new. However, Pandora made me buy an AP last year (13 month AP), so I could experience this awesome new land ASAP.!:geek:

contrariwise

I am not excited for TSL, even though it will be new. However, Pandora made me buy an AP last year (13 month AP), so I could experience this awesome new land ASAP.!:geek:
I look forward to seeing what you think of it, and I truly hope it exceeds all expectations. I just think much of the excitement is because we went through a "new stuff drought" for awhile. I'm happy to see progress though.

bhg469

"Yawn"

Are you saying this wasn't a knee jerk reaction to potter? Because it was... It 100% undoubtedly was...

The land looks like it will be cool but its not going to pay for itself in beverage sales.

In excited to go and see it but I'm not paying for park admission until star wars is open and I will come back for Pandora.

mousehockey37

For the people that didn't like the idea of it being there and such, it's just at the point now that... it's there. They built it. The naysayers are probably just waiting now for it to open and for it to fail and/or things don't work.

I still don't think it goes there and that the Moors from Maleficent were a better Disney idea.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Are you saying this wasn't a knee jerk reaction to potter? Because it was... It 100% undoubtedly was...

The land looks like it will be cool but its not going to pay for itself in beverage sales.

In excited to go and see it but I'm not paying for park admission until star wars is open and I will come back for Pandora.

I don't believe I've said it was or wasn't, to be honest I can't say the thought even crossed my mind when starting the thread? You could go back and forth saying most things both parks do are to compete with one another. MGM Studios was quickly built whilst Universal was being constructed, Volcano Bay is being constructed to try to take away from Disney's water parks,

Last edited:

Maerj

Like Splash Mountain, this will be based on a movie that most dislike or have never seen, but will probabaly be loved for years to come due to it being a great environment with great attractions.

Uh....Avatar made $2,787,965,087 worldwide. I'd say that there are quite a few people who have seen it and I'm sure that there are a good number who at least enjoyed it on some level. ;)

Minthorne

My opinion has not changed. Here i repost my original post on the topic.

avatar-smurfs-20100629-201621.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom