FOP 6+ hour wait times

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Well next time you go to Busch Gardens Tampa take a look at the structure of Gwazi. You'll notice that half of the wooden track is gone already, and you'll see guys with RMC shirts working on it. SeaWorld parks took out a trademark for "Twisted Tigers" not too long ago. Its been confirmed for a while that they're RMCing Gwazi. They're expected to make a press release for it at a major event in a few weeks. Rumor is 212' tall and a 91 degrees drop.

I talked to an contractor working on the project, and he said that unfortunately the ride is in much worse shape than expected, so they're going to be removing much more than they wanted to. But RMC has a history of adding in its own steel supports that disguises itself as the old wooden track. Storm Chaser was almost completely razed, with pretty much only the footers and the station being kept from Twisted Sisters.

I think Florida's climate plays more havoc with wooden coasters than a lot of other places.

The Pho

Well next time you go to Busch Gardens Tampa take a look at the structure of Gwazi. You'll notice that half of the wooden track is gone already, and you'll see guys with RMC shirts working on it. SeaWorld parks took out a trademark for "Twisted Tigers" not too long ago. Its been confirmed for a while that they're RMCing Gwazi. They're expected to make a press release for it at a major event in a few weeks. Rumor is 212' tall and a 91 degrees drop.

I talked to an contractor working on the project, and he said that unfortunately the ride is in much worse shape than expected, so they're going to be removing much more than they wanted to. But RMC has a history of adding in its own steel supports that disguises itself as the old wooden track. Storm Chaser was almost completely razed, with pretty much only the footers and the station being kept from Twisted Sisters.
Ya I’ve been watching it, that’s why I mentioned it. I’m looking forward to that one. As much as I hate when woodens close, RMC has done some impressive things with them.

aliceismad

Granted, with a 12 month old, I don't expect you to be in the park until closing, but I've noticed that Frozen becomes a walk-on during Illuminations. It has the past two trips.
Thanks for the info. Filing away in case my DD just has to see Elsa and Anna again.

aliceismad

I've waited 90-120 minutes plus for rides when I was younger. The longest Disney waits probably being Indy at DLR followed by Rocket Rods at DLR and Star Tours when it was new at DLR. Can't do it anymore with a kiddo.

Trackmaster

Ya I’ve been watching it, that’s why I mentioned it. I’m looking forward to that one. As much as I hate when woodens close, RMC has done some impressive things with them.

Yeah, the climate in Florida is not conducive to them. And even the northern parks just aren't willing to put the investment in them unless they feel like the public will support them. And they've found enough success with steel coasters that they're just not willing to pour money into wooden coasters like they used to.

Roy G. Dis

I feel like an outlier... I've been to WDW twice since FOP opened and was able to get multiple fast passes for the ride and with very little lead time:
  • First trip (Jun 17) I got it but rapidly spamming refresh on "change FP" in the app until finally I got FOP to show up. It was just me and my wife and a 7PM FP, but we planned around it
  • Second trip (Jan 18) again I was able to get the FP ahead of time by a few days by spamming "change FP" at various times in the day until it showed up. Then when we were at the park I was searching for FPs for the next day and found another FOP FP at 9AM in the morning.
So really I've spent maybe an hour total in line for FOP with these FPs.

The downsides of this are... once you book that FOP FP you can't book anything else at another park, obviously, so you're locked into using your FPs on AK. You really have to be willing to throw your plans into the wind.... but it did seem like the FPs were there if you are willing to hunt/stalk.

I can not imagine waiting longer than 2 hours for anything. We waited 2+ standby hours for Midway Mania (prior to the third track) in 2016 and it really soured my experience of the ride even though I love the ride itself.

I have no idea how this (FP stalking) would work with SW:GE's rides but it gives me hope. However now I have a 1 month old so my entire life and the subsequent WDW planning has taken a bit of a turn :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom